The gradual erosion of language

Guest JavaGuy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JavaGuy

I'm just surprised that no one seems to have noticed the reference under Daze.. or at least, no one commented on it. Ha!

To further confuse things:

Affect - Noun meaning emotion or emotional state

Effect - Verb meaning cause or bring about

We hoped the medication would effect change in his flat affect.

Um, not really.

Affect, the noun, you are correct.

Affect, the verb, as follows: We hope the imminent election of Pres. Obama will not affect our rights as gun holders.

Effect, the noun, as follows: The effect of an Obama victory will be bonanza to the NRA and borasca to gun owners.

Effect, the verb, as follows: An Obama presidency will effect changes detrimental to the rights of American gun owners.

Guest slothful1

Imply -- to suggest that something is the case without explicitly stating it; E.g., "The reason Cletus got beat up is 'cause he implied my Mama and Daddy was related by blood."

Infer -- to surmise or deduce from an implication or other non-explicit evidence. E.g., "Rodney and me was in jail at the same time, but he never told me what he done. I inferred it had somethin' to do with arson, on account of he implied that, but I really can't say what he was in fer."

Comprise -- synonymous with "consist of." The whole comprises the parts. E.g., "Leroy's gun collection comprises a bunch of Lorcins and one Raven MP-25."

Compose -- make up or constitute. The parts compose the whole. E.g., "These 100 Senators and 435 Representatives compose the greatest criminal organization man has ever known."

Guest CrazyLincoln

Don't forget the good ol' double negative:

Incorrect: I hardly never eat there.

Correct: I hardly ever eat there.

RNVTN:* I ain't hardly never eaten there.

*Redneck Vernacular Triple Negative

Guest Grout
Way back when, I used to hang out with some folks from up on the Plateau.. other variants are:

You'uns - A slightly larger group of people than ya'll.

Then there was also:

You'unses - A whole bunch of people.. all your aunts, uncles and cousins.. brothers, sisters, the whole clan.

Up here in Macmin and Monrow county we say "yuns" or for a large crowd it's "yuns'es".

Guest JavaGuy

While we're fixing stuff... :cool:

That's an easy fix!

Just say Hooters. Your friends will then say: Yes!

Too many words can make my head hurt!

Guest JavaGuy

Yes, I know what you mean. A guy I work with (in his 30's) is as bad as any of the teenagers I've heard lately. Sometimes when he starts talking, "I'm like...", "I was like...", etc., well, I just want to beat him to death with the bloody end of his own arm.

More commonly misused words...

Site - A place.. commonly an address on the Internet. e.g. a website.

Sight, sights - something you see. e.g. Angelina Jolie in a bikini - quite a sight!

Cite - To reference a code citation or law. e.g. Let me cite you the T.C.A. code citation on HCP.

Quiet - Not loud. e.g. She was always pretty quiet.. until she got a couple of drinks in her.

Quite - A modifier. e.g. She had quite a lot to drink.

Quit - Stop, don't go any further. e.g. She should quit drinking.

Now - a point in time. e.g. We should leave right now.

Know - to possess certain knowledge. e.g. I know we should leave now, but I haven't had my cappuccino yet.