Taking a Defensive Handgun class this month...

• Administrator

I'm going to be taking a Defensive Handgun class this month and thought I would start a thread chronicling my experience. Maybe someone will benefit from this or at least get their appetite whet for a little training themselves. ;)

The class is a two day class consisting of 1/2 day lecture and 1-1/2 days of handgun drills on the range. We were told to bring 1,000 rounds of ammunition and a reliable handgun, along with plenty of water and proper attire for being out in the blistering sun or pouring rain. I'd rather shoot in the sun any day, so I'm hoping for the former.

Right now I'm not going to mention the exact school. No, it's not Tactical Response. But beyond that I'd rather keep mum so as to make it easy to keep an open mind and not have people try to project any sort of prejudices upon me, either positive or negative. I will be more than happy to talk specifics after the class is over. Until then even if you have guesses about who the school is, please keep quiet about specifics and just talk in generalities. Thanks.

So far my equipment for the class looks like this:

• Open mind
  • Glock Model 19 (9mm) handgun and 6 mags

• 1,000 rds Winchester 115gr 9mm white box ammo
  • G-Code paddle OWB holster
  • Comp-Tac dual mag carrier
  • Gun cleaning kit with lube

• Hearing and eye protection

• Comfortable hot weather clothes, hiking boots, hiking socks, ball cap, sunglasses, sunscreen, knee pads, etc.
  • Cooler with lots of bottled water. May take my Camelback if I can find the bladder insert.
  • Notepad, pen.

Really nothing extravagant there. I may pick up a few more common spare Glock parts (springs, striker, etc.) just in case but I'll also toss my XD Tactical 9mm in the range bag so that I have a backup. Since the Glock 19 is my every day carry, I prefer greatly to train with it and run it hard. Really hard.

If anyone can think of something else I should consider taking with me, that'd be fine.

Right now I am not nervous about it at all but rather pretty excited. This is the first professionally lead training class that I will have attended since I got my Kentucky CWP almost 12 years ago. I've shot with "trained" individuals on countless occasions and learned from them along the way, but have never actually done something like this in a structured environment.

I'm sure that as it gets closer to the actual class date, I'll be a little more wired up. :D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Looks like you're good to go. I've taken two more classes since I got my permit, and I think everyone, even civilians like me, needs ongoing training with a professional. Even if it's just once a year, take a refresher class or do a one-on-one session to keep the fundamentals sharp. Bad habits are easy to get into, and sometimes it takes a professionally trained eye to notice them.

Hope it doesn't rain.

Guest db99wj

Speedloader? Might not need one, have one or want one, but you are not only shooting 1000 rounds, you are loading them!

• Administrator
Speedloader? Might not need one, have one or want one, but you are not only shooting 1000 rounds, you are loading them!

Yeah, I am going to try to get a speedloader before the class also. I've been meaning to buy an UPLULA for a while now.

Is the holster you're taking the one you use for day-to-day carry? I would suggest that you use your "carry set-up" and not a "range set-up". It might slow you down a little but it will prove it's worth in the end. When I shoot competition, I always use my carry set-up. It makes it harder to compete with the open, speed holsters but it's well worth it to me.

• Administrator

For the curious...

The class I took was the Defensive Handgun class from Todd & Dustin at Critical Incident Strategies. It was taught yesterday and today at the National Guard range in Smyrna, TN and was money very well spent.

I will post a more inclusive after action report later tonight or tomorrow. It being Father's Day, I need to rush out and do the family thing here in a few moments. I've literally only been home long enough to unload and stow my gear, take a quick shower and get dressed for family time. A few hours to digest and process what I learned over the past two days would probably be beneficial anyway.

Suffice it to say that I went into this class with an open mind and left with it running over. It was eye opening and mentality altering to say the least. I know that we all get tired of hearing the word "mindset" thrown around but it has a real meaning and it doesn't have to just be a buzz word. If the training is good, it transcends "geek speak" and takes on relevance and has meat to it. This training was good.

I can't speak highly enough about Todd and Dustin's expertise and professionalism. It was a very fairly taught class that packed a ton of information into a short period of time but did so in such a way that you immediately went into live fire exercises to pound it into your brain.

Awesome job, guys. I'll be back!

Guest earthworm

Time & money well spent.These guys know their stuff & ,more importantly,are able to communicate that knowledge.I was particularly impressed with the emphasis on mindset & "Keep going! Work through it!".

I'll be back guys:good job!