Taking the girlfriend on a trip to chicago.. SD question

My girlfriend and I are going on a trip to chicago in December. I might propose. who knows...
Any way, we have lot's of sightseeing planned and that means taking the train to most places. You know, apart of the experience I suppose. Well, as a law abiding citizen, I will not take my firearms with me because Chicago isn't a carry friendly place... unless you're a criminal.
The only things we have are carry on's, so I can't take anything with me. I am fairly decent at some HtH and CQC. Is that all I can rely on in Chicago? Is a hope I don't get mugged/shot/stabbed/murdered/raped/beaten/shoestiedtogetherwhenIamnotlooking?
I was thinking of mailing myself a chicago legal self defense item (asp/baton/knife/taser) that I can't take on the plane... any thoughts?

Long post, but I guess the main question is 'what do I do for SD in chicago?'
I am going to take every preventative measure I can and not make myself look like a target. but, I just want to be prepared. Edited by kesava
I went there with my girlfriend a while back. We drove, so I didn't have to worry about checking baggage and carry on. That being said while in Chicago I carried a good SD light and a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I realize the Paramilitary is outside of Chicagos knife laws which I believe limit blade size to 2.5 inches. Perhaps when you land you could pick up a decent blade at walmart or some such to carry on your person?
I read an article not long ago from a credible source that warned tourists to stay away from Chicago. Even some on the Chicago police force were issuing warnings. People were being robbed and beaten in areas once thought to be safe, like the Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier.

My MIL wanted to go back in the spring, but we ended up going to New England instead. Didn't hurt my feelings one bit. Edited by DaddyO

Self defense is illegal in Chicago. When confronted by a criminal you must willingly provide them with whatever they want. If they choose to kill you, don't forget to say thank you before dying.
Now taking tongue out of cheek. :pleased:

Back when I was in college, my dad, paternal grandmother, one aunt and I all went to Chicago to visit one of my great uncles who lived there. I had planned to take the train to hit a couple of places, like the Hard Rock Cafe and so on. My second cousin was like, "No way. Decide where you want to go and I will drive you. I live here and I won't get on that train." That was nearly twenty years ago so I can only imagine things are worse, now.

This same second cousin showed me a scar in the roof of his mouth. Seem he was walking down the street one day and two guys (one with a knife) robbed him. He didn't carry much cash, didn't carry credit cards, etc. and only had $1.98 on him. Well, even though he cooperated, the guy with the knife said, "It's a damn shame I gotta kill you over a lousy two bucks," and moved to stab him. He fought the guy but ended up getting stabbed through the cheek and into the roof of his mouth after which the assailant's partner got the assailant to run away. Otherwise, he probably would have killed my cousin.

Honestly, having been to New York City, if I never set foot in that city again it will be too soon - but I'd sign up for a week's vacation in NYC before I'd plan a trip to Chicago on purpose.

I guess what I am saying is be careful, watch your back and, if possible, take a cab and not the train. Edited by JAB
Don't spend the night in Chicago city limits and you can legally keep your handgun in your hotel room. That is what i would do. Get some good Sabre or other good pepper spray. Pepper spray is much better than a knife as a self defense tool because it is like a gun and puts distance between you and your attacker.

Knives, in my opinion, are great tools but poor self defense items. I'd take pepper spray any day over a knife for self defense.
I lived in Chicago for 4 years and managed to survive that time without being attacked. I had friends who were mugged and the one thing they all had in common was a lack of situational awareness.

Walk with a purpose and give the appearance that you are a hard target. pay attention to where you are and who is around you. Keep your head up and eyes moving. I'm a little guy but I walk like I'm 7' tall. Seems to work.

There are plenty of appethetic, emo hipsters in Chicago that are ripe for robbing. Don't be like them and you'll be fine.

Off topic: Have you considered Portland Oregon? Coolest city I've lived in and the state is gun friendly.
[quote name='Razz' timestamp='1354284096' post='852800']

Off topic: Have you considered Portland Oregon? Coolest city I've lived in and the state is gun friendly.[/quote]

Awesome public transit there, but more homeless people per capita than I have ever seen.
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1354284411' post='852803']

Awesome public transit there, but more homeless people per capita than I have ever seen.
[/quote]
This is the truth. They can be bothersome but I never had one get aggressive with me, unlike other cities I've lived. A lot of them are talented artists, as well. I actually had some very interesting conversations with a few "homeless" while in Portland.

Good food scene if you're into eating out. I encourage anyone to contact me before visiting. This goes double for golfers...
[quote name='Razz' timestamp='1354284096' post='852800']
I lived in Chicago for 4 years and managed to survive that time without being attacked. I had friends who were mugged and the one thing they all had in common was a lack of situational awareness.

Walk with a purpose and give the appearance that you are a hard target. pay attention to where you are and who is around you. Keep your head up and eyes moving. I'm a little guy but I walk like I'm 7' tall. Seems to work.

There are plenty of appethetic, emo hipsters in Chicago that are ripe for robbing. Don't be like them and you'll be fine.

Off topic: Have you considered Portland Oregon? Coolest city I've lived in and the state is gun friendly.
[/quote]

Excuse me, but the "it's never happened to me before" argument is bogus. Maybe it never will, but just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it's not possible. This is the irrational thinking that the antis use to justify their fear of guns. "I've never needed one (and by extension I never will)". It means nothing.

SA is well and good, and is a necessary element in one's overall personal safety, but just because someone practices it does not immunize them from deadly threats.

I've never needed my gun before, but does that mean I never will? No.
Guest Lester Weevils
I don't like crowds. Didn't mind em when young but every year they bug me more. Quite a few years ago while on vacation visiting wife's relatives in rural michigan, we stayed "sightseeing" for several days at a hotel about 15 or 20 miles "straight west" away from the center of the city by the lake front. Dunno if it was in or out of the city limits though. It was "more urban" than chattanooga even that far out of town. Speaking of density of buildings and people, not any innuendo.

So driving around the place, it is a patchwork. Lots of cities and towns have "rich folks" neighborhoods, "middle class" neighborhoods, "honest po folk" neighborhoods, and "abandon all hope ye who enter here" neighborhoods. But in chicago it is all mixed in together. There might be a few blocks of millionaire mansions, then a few blocks of abandoned rusting factories, then a "holy crap" dangerous looking neighborhood, then all of a sudden you are driving thru rich folks territory again. I spoke with some chicago citizens visiting south in later years and they confirmed my observation. The natives know the boundaries of the patchwork, but a stranger might be walking down an upper-yuppy street and go one block too far and all of a sudden be in a mess. I noticed that in Washington DC many years ago too, but dunno if DC is still like that.

Maybe ask advice of natives which way to go walking if in doubt.

I'm real un-sophisticated. A couple years after 9/11 had to fly to a business convention in anaheim. So I toted some pepper spray along for the victim disarmament zone of anaheim, but was smart enough to put the pepper spray in checked luggage. At least thought I was being smart. So while the plane was getting ready to take off, was reading the brochures on the seat and it said don't check baggage with pepper spray because the cold and low atmospheric pressure in baggage compartments can make em explode and get pepper spray on lots of peoples luggage. Was from chatt to chicago to anaheim, and so was nervous all the way there hoping I wouldn't get in trouble ruining everybody's day with my pepper spray sploded all over their luggage.

When it got time to fly back, just left the pepper spray in the hotel room in anaheim. Didn't want to check it in and of course couldn't carry it on. Thought about tossing it in the trash, but thought maybe the next occupant or the clean-up crew might like to have some pepper spray. Edited by Lester Weevils
[quote name='DaddyO' timestamp='1354286688' post='852818']

Excuse me, but the "it's never happened to me before" argument is bogus. Maybe it never will, but just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it's not possible. This is the irrational thinking that the antis use to justify their fear of guns. "I've never needed one (and by extension I never will)". It means nothing.

SA is well and good, and is a necessary element in one's overall personal safety, but just because someone practices it does not immunize them from deadly threats.

I've never needed my gun before, but does that mean I never will? No.
[/quote]
Gosh, I guess I'll just cower in my house until I die, then.

Wait, no I won't. When I die, whether it be from old age or from physical harm from another, I will have lived a rich life from travel, family and awesome personal experience. Big boy vacations for big boys. Man up, it's more fun.
[quote name='Razz' timestamp='1354287687' post='852829']
Gosh, I guess I'll just cower in my house until I die, then.

Wait, no I won't. When I die, whether it be from old age or from physical harm from another, I will have lived a rich life from travel, family and awesome personal experience. Big boy vacations for big boys. Man up, it's more fun.
[/quote]

Spoken with all the confidence that comes from ignorance (and lack of comprehension).

Don't be stupid. I never said to stay inside, or not to take risks, but saying "it's never happened to me, therefore it never will" and giving that advice to others is simply irresponsible. Edited by DaddyO
[quote name='DaddyO' timestamp='1354293281' post='852863']

Spoken with all the confidence that comes from ignorance (and lack of comprehension).

Don't be stupid. I never said to stay inside, or not to take risks, but saying "it's never happened to me, therefore it never will" and giving that advice to others is simply irresponsible.
[/quote]
You started out thinking I was making an argument and now follow up with name calling and assumptions. It's ironic that you question my comprehension skills. I wonder if my original reply could be taken differently than the way you took it.

I wonder if my original comment could be taken as one data point in a larger conversation. I know I value all points when I make a decision. If I wanted but one opinion I would just as soon look to my own. I go to the Internet to get multiple viewpoints and try to take all the info to form a view of a topic.

Being that I'm so stupid, it takes me longer than others to form an opinion. I often read things two or three times due to my low comprehension. My cross to bare, I suppose.
If you are using a hotel outside Chicago city limits, you can bring your pistol and keep it in your hotel room. If you stay in Indiana, you can carry the gun. Take a can of Fox Labs or Sabre pepper spray. Both work extremely well. You will be set.
[quote name='razorback2003' timestamp='1354303455' post='852956']
If you are using a hotel outside Chicago city limits, you can bring your pistol and keep it in your hotel room. ....
[/quote]

Many of the restrictive Chicago laws are also in effect in Oak Park and the whole of Cook County. Like 10 round mag limit, whether you are a resident or not.

- OS
[quote name='Razz' timestamp='1354302574' post='852947']
You started out thinking I was making an argument and now follow up with name calling and assumptions. It's ironic that you question my comprehension skills. I wonder if my original reply could be taken differently than the way you took it.

I wonder if my original comment could be taken as one data point in a larger conversation. I know I value all points when I make a decision. If I wanted but one opinion I would just as soon look to my own. I go to the Internet to get multiple viewpoints and try to take all the info to form a view of a topic.

Being that I'm so stupid, it takes me longer than others to form an opinion. I often read things two or three times due to my low comprehension. My cross to bare, I suppose.
[/quote]

Apparently you can't tell when someone is calling you a name and when they are just calling out your behavior. There is a difference. But, if you want to think I called you a name, go right ahead, chief. I don't care.