Latest computer processors? AMD vs Intel

S&WForty

I may be getting ready to buy a new laptop. I am out of the loop on AMD vs Intel. What does AMD market against the Intel i7's, and how well do they stack up?

I'll use the laptop for Photoshop and Light Room. My new camera takes HD video, too. I'll probably start messing with video editing as well.

I figure the RAM and video card memory are more critical than the processor, but I am still curious what techie people think of the latest processors.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[url="http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks-1,140.html"]http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks-1,140.html[/url]

Tom's has the best benchmark comparisons on just about everything. Check the charts that most closely match the apps you'll be using. 3DMark11 is a general "overall" kind of measure. You can select a handful of processors and then choose "Compare" from any of the charts and it will switch views to show only those processors across all benchmarks.
From the technical aspect it gets pretty complicated when you start looking at instructions, pipeline length, registers, cache capabilities (operations not size) etc...

The AMD chips operate completely different than Intel (in general, not getting into a debate on specific models), so you would see two completely different outputs for identical CPU's from each company. I wrote an extensive paper on this a few years back as a persuasive essay, starting off with the intent to express why AMD was a better option, and ended up becoming a diehard Intel fan.

So I would not consider anything except Intel, until Apple decides if they are switching back to a RISC setup in a few years.
Several years ago I ran a small retail computer store. I was in need of some marketing material (banners, signs, pens... whatever) for some of the products we sold.

Called up Intel. I was basically told I wasn't worth their time to talk to since my anticipated sales volume was too low.

Called AMD. They sent two huge boxes of everything AMD branded I could have wanted... completely free of charge. T-shirts for our employees, pens, banners, stickers, posters, mouse pads, etc. The person I talked to explained that they were happy to support small businesses and how glad they were to have us selling AMD based systems.

Been using AMD in my personal systems ever since. Are they always the best offering available ? No. But they won me over as a customer in another way.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2