New "woods" gun

Will H

I am excited, so I gotta share.

I decided that my 9mms were just fine for the urban jungle, but that I would like to have something larger for the woods as my wife and I have gotten into bushcraft pretty heavy. I was carrying my Storm Subcompact with +P+ ammo, but I really wanted something more classic. I wanted a magnum. Did I need a magnum? No, but what does that matter?

[img]http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/Booberspics/WIL_7296.jpg[/img]

This is my new to me Ruger GP100 4". I love this thing. It's a bit of a hoss, but perfect for the woods. I traded for it even up, giving up my Beretta 92FS. All in all I feel I traded well. Now to just find a holster for this cannon. LOL
  • Like 1
Nice purchase. I've been looking around for a holster for my S&W 686 6". All I can find are shoulder rigs. I have a cheap nylon one for toting to the range, but it doesn't due to well hanging off a belt. Cowboy styles work, but that's not me.
Guest Lester Weevils
I don't holster carry my .357 much, but use a cheap nylon fabric holster as equivalent to a "rug" carrier when the pistol is sitting in the safe or in the range bag. Had the nylon holster more than a decade and it looks new as best i can tell, and it probably would sit on a belt and tote the revolver as good as anything for part time use. Fits the revolver fine. Nylon fabric is tough.

For woods use where you don't want to scratch up or lose the gun if you slide down a hill or fall in a ditch, big old square safepackers are secure and well padded, and are slightly more "discrete" than a sidearm on yer hip. But the safepacker big enough for a 4" revolver is a pretty big square nylon flat-pack hanging on yer belt. Edited by Lester Weevils
Thanks for the holster recommendations. I am seriously looking at the Combat Master from Galco and the Pancake from Simply Rugged. The chest rig would be excellent for the bush, but a good one is a bit too much for me to pay.
Guest Lester Weevils
I'm pretty sold on fiber optic front sights cause my eye is so bad. It measures 20/20 but doesn't do so well if the contrast happens to be black front sight on black rear sight on dark target. Even white dots on black sights doesn't even start to help much, except with strong lighting from behind to illuminate the white dots.

Only put 2 fiber optic sights on so far, but want em on all my pistols eventually.
[quote name='Will H' timestamp='1354744648' post='855398']
Thanks for the holster recommendations. I am seriously looking at the Combat Master from Galco and the Pancake from Simply Rugged. The chest rig would be excellent for the bush, but a good one is a bit too much for me to pay.
[/quote]

I can tell you the Simply Rugged holsters are just what it says. I've got 3 of them and they hold up very well. And the best part is they hold the gun tight in the holster; it will not fall out. Even my magnum Judge stays put and I've fallen, flipped, and rolled with it and it stays in there without a retention strap.
For some reason, I've always preferred a magnum revolver over an autoloader for walking in the woods and wandering around the farm.

Gould and Goodrich used to make a nice nylon belt holster with leather or suede lining. It's pretty solid. I can't find it on their website, but they may be still out there somewhere. It's what I carry my .41 mag Blackhawk in.

Will
Very nice wheelgun. I have an older, four inch Taurus 66 (from the late '80s - back when they were still six shooters, not seven.) I modified a large belt pack (fanny pack) that I got at Gander Mountain to carry it. This, particular pouch has a 'hidden' compartment in the back that is held closed by a couple of snaps and velcro. I attached a cheap, nylon holster inside that hidden compartment to carry the .357 when I want it hidden, like when I am trout fishing, camping and so on.

Recently, though, I picked up a really inexpensive chest pack at Academy to hold it when I decide to wade the river looking for trout. It is a pouch designed for carrying things in just such a situation so it shouldn't look out of place.

For just carrying on my hip, I have a cheapo FOBUS paddle holster. I don't generally carry the .357 'in public' all that often so the ability to be super concealed isn't that big a deal - although I will post a couple of pics below where I was demonstrating concealing it just for the heck of it and to answer a question by a fellah on another forum.

I am planning to make a homeade pancake/blt slide type leather holster for it, though. When I do, I will probably make something very like the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster. I will want something that holds the revolver relatively high on my belt with a slight forward cant. I will also probably try to come up with something that puts leather between my side and the hammer spur. They don't call it a 'spur' for nothing.

Here is a pic from a few years back of me in an ugly, Hawaiian shirt (I actually like ugly Hawaiian shirts - and while some might say I have a 'gut', I consider it a concealment aid.)

[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/JBFordowner/Concealment/Image1.jpg[/img]

And this is a pic of what I had on me in the above picture:

[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/JBFordowner/Concealment/Image5.jpg[/img] Edited by JAB
Guest Lester Weevils

[quote name='graycrait' timestamp='1354798143' post='855796']
[url="http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=152&osCsid=gvhegmu8omqapmpgeo3meln780"]http://www.doubletap...apmpgeo3meln780[/url]

those rounds should be amusing through your hogleg
[/quote]

Dang! Maybe that is the ammo for guys who wish they'd bought a .44 mag instead of .357 mag! :)

Guest Lester Weevils

[quote name='JAB' timestamp='1354809696' post='855869']
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/JBFordowner/Concealment/Image1.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Jab, this is meant as a compliment-- If you are walking down a dark alley and muggers approach from the opposite direction, the muggers will move to the opposite sidewalk to stay out of your way! :)

[quote name='Lester Weevils' timestamp='1354825322' post='855997']
Jab, this is meant as a compliment-- If you are walking down a dark alley and muggers approach from the opposite direction, the muggers will move to the opposite sidewalk to stay out of your way! :)
[/quote]

Thanks - I do take that as a compliment.

[quote name='graycrait' timestamp='1354798143' post='855796']
[url="http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=152&osCsid=gvhegmu8omqapmpgeo3meln780"]http://www.doubletap...apmpgeo3meln780[/url]

those rounds should be amusing through your hogleg
[/quote]

I have some of the Buffalo Bore 180 grain flat nosed hard cast that I load in the Taurus when I carry it in the 'woods gun' role. They are supposed to be standard pressure rounds but I think they still 'buck' a little harder than most. Not too bad, though.

[quote name='Lester Weevils' timestamp='1354818277' post='855939']
Dang! Maybe that is the ammo for guys who wish they'd bought a .44 mag instead of .357 mag! :)
[/quote]

Heh, in my case I also have a .44 Magnum but carrying a 7.5 inch barreled Super Blackhawk while wading the river might get a little interesting. Of course, I figure the need to defend against a black bear is pretty remote (but not entirely out of the question - see the sign in the pic below) and those 180 grain rounds should do pretty well against any other aggressive critter, four legged or two.

[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/JBFordowner/IMG00806-20110625-1818.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...

Good lord no, I have no intention of approaching a bear.  LOL.  I wanted something that would be a better bear/dangerous animal deterrent than the typical 9mm/.40/.45 handgun.  It's for accidental encounters based on the idea that while it MIGHT kill one, it would probably convince it to go after something that would give it less trouble.