Polish Tantal AK-74

There have been a number of intermediate rifle/carbine models crop up in the last year or so... The Sig 556, Magpul Masada, and Robinson Armament XCR.

I want my personal armament to keep up with these developments.

Gas-piston bolt actuation being the main difference between these and the venerable Stoner AR direct-impingement system... The Sig 556 is the only one of these 3 which I am seriously considering, mainly because the 55X series has a long and reputable track record for accuracy and reliability. It is also the only one which uses a long-stroke gas system (like an M1 Garand or SKS), which increases reliability, and negates the need for a separate forward assist.

I have handled the gun, and know that the controls will work for me... I want to hear any opinions from those who might have some experience with this platform. I will be abandoning my AR15s for whatever I choose, even though the spare parts commonality is a plus (the only one though, really).

Thoughts? Criticisms?... (I give enough, I can take it :crazy: )

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LiLBucket

Give me all of your firearms for the reason of being uncertain of what you want!! K? K!!

I actually have no relavent or useful input here, I merely drool for a 556 or an XCR!:hyper:

Thank you!!:crazy:

Guest Greentimber

I was going to buy one. Then I took my M4 to the range a couple times and remembered that it never malfunctions.

Saved me $1300+ ;)

• Administrator
I was going to buy one. Then I took my M4 to the range a couple times and remembered that it never malfunctions.

Saved me $1300+ :(

:)

I do like the looks of the new Magpul Masada, though. Very well thought out system.

Guest GlocKingTN
guys...how do I put a picture up instead of a link?? this is driving me NUTS!

It works for me sometimes, and sometimes it doesnt work!:rock:

Have you ordered it yet? You know you're going to sell the M4 so you might as well do it! :confused:

I haven't had a chance to swing by Hero-Gear in Winchester... And I probably won't get a chance to until next week, when my schedule clears up a bit.

Guest EasilyObsessed
guys...how do I put a picture up instead of a link?? this is driving me NUTS!

Put img surrounded by square brackets before the link and /img surrounded by brackets after the image.

Or you can click the "Insert Image" button just above where you type a reply at. It is the yellowish button with what looks like two mountains and a sun in the picture. Just past your link into the popup after clicking the link.

• Administrator
I haven't had a chance to swing by Hero-Gear in Winchester... And I probably won't get a chance to until next week, when my schedule clears up a bit.

So you're good to go on ordering one? That's going to be a sweet rifle!!!

So you're good to go on ordering one? That's going to be a sweet rifle!!!

Yep :confused:

The sale of my M4 isn't finalized yet... so I'm halfway waiting on that, and also still trying to clear up my busy schedule so that I can actually go wheeling and dealing.

I'm hoping to have the new rifle in the next 2 months or so (but I'm not too optimistic on how long it'll take to get it in once ordred... we'll see.)

I'm still about 20% conflicted about whether to get a PTR 91 KPF instead... but the lower cost of 5.56mm ammo is starting to be very convincing!

My intentions for the Sig, initially, will be to get a Surefire M900 VFG weapon-light, and an EoTech. And I need to research the best way to sling this rifle... The stock flash-hider is going to go, as well, in favor of a Phantom or a Vortex.

I'm giving away the last of my 50gr ammo with my M4, because the 1x7 twist of the Sig won't be compatible with that bullet weight... I'll be stocking up on Double-Tap 62gr SS109.

I'm excited...

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, did I change gears...

Well, I've been dealing with Dan & Joe up at Hero-Gear in Winchester about getting me a Polish Tantal AK-74: tantalfixedstock.jpg

My thought is, cheaper ammo and more proven design... And, with the money I'll be saving, I can justify another purchase :D

I should know today or tomorrow if they can get me one.

I JUST got off the phone with Dan. They just ordered my newest toy and it should be here in a couple weeks. My plans changed gears on me as well. I had thought about ordering a Sig Revolution 1911, but changed my mind. I already have a good 1911 and variety is the spice of life, right???? Sooooo, I will be the proud owner of another kind of Sig. I've got a 226 Blackwater coming for me. 5 15 round mags, 2 sets of grip panels, contrasting night sights, and a holster that will fit it and my TLR-1. I'm stoked.

• Administrator

An AK has been on my "short list" of things to buy before the next ban for a while now. Of course we all hope there won't be a next ban, but I'm too much of a realist to think that it won't happen if the Gov't wants it to happen.

What are the good brands of AKs to buy?

What are the good brands of AKs to buy?

Arsenal (Bulgarian)

Vepr (no longer in business)

Vector (Russian)

Valmet (Finnish)

Tantal (Polish)

Some of the cheaper versions (which aren't necessarily 'bad') are the Romanian models imported by Century... These generally have poor fit, luckily that doesn't matter much which AKs

I'm thinking about a Safariland 5187 or a Bladetech. I've got a Streamlight TLR-1 light that I had for my XD and both Safariland and Bladetech make holsters for it with the light attached in a non duty belt type holster. I'll probably get another holster for it without the light while I'm at it. I've wanted a P series Sig for a while now. I was about to trade another gun I had for a P220ST last fall to a guy I work with, but he backed out. I've been shooting .45 and .40 for a few years now, and thought that I might go back to 9mm in one gun for a while. I can shoot twice as much 9mm for the same ammo cost.

As far as the cost goes, I traded in my used XD .40 V-10 with tru-glo TFO sights, a CompTac CTAC holster for the XD, some duty gear (approx $250 value), and $175. Needless to say, Dan and Joe cut me a hell of a deal on it being that it's MSRP is $1100.