• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal (Bulgarian)

Vepr (no longer in business)

Vector (Russian)

Valmet (Finnish)

Tantal (Polish)

Some of the cheaper versions (which aren't necessarily 'bad') are the Romanian models imported by Century... These generally have poor fit, luckily that doesn't matter much which AKs

Actually Vepr is a model built by the Molot factory in Russia. Robinson Armament was the importer but lost the contract(circumstances unclear). Atlantic Firearms is now the importer of VEPRS and have them in folding and fixed stock configurations. These rifles are based off an RPK receiver with a thicker(1.5mm) receiver and beefed up front trunnion. I will soon be the owner of my 3rd Vepr. To me these rifles are quite possibly the finest Kalashnikov variant currently available. The first time I took my Vepr K 7.62x39mm 16.5" barreled version to the range I was outshooting a tricked out Bushmaster with 4XACOG in the lane next to me with only Iron Sights(this had alot to do with the shooters). I can get consistent 3" groups at 100 yards off sandbags. I have a 308 version with 20.5" barrel that should be here middle of next week. The Molot factory is "controlled" by the Russian Izhmash factory(Saiga rifles) whose director is none other than Mikhail Kalashnikov himself! Valmet(Finnish), Polytech(Chinese), Arsenal(Bulgarian), Vepr(Russian) are the creme de' la creme of the Kalashnikov world. Valmets and Polytechs are 1200+(no longer imported) and Arsenals and Veprs are $650-1200 and probably the best readily available commercial Kalashnikovs. Norincos(Chinese), Saiga(Russian) are both great values for the money but the Norincos are only imported with thumbhole stocks(Blehhh) and the Saigas are imported in "sporterized" version that need to have the FCG(Fire Control Group) moved forward and have a pistol grip and traditional stock attached(although you can buy the base rifle for <300 by the time your finished you will have 500+ in it) but it is a Russian AK. Polish guns are good value for the money.Yugos do not have chrome lined bores. And Romanian are considered the bottom end in quality of manufacture. Oh and Vectors are actually Polish or Romanian kits built here in America off of America receivers(http://www.vectorarms.com/)

For me unless you spend more than 600 or so all of your choices are only Minute of Man accurate(which gets the job done). Whew! sorry for the long winded post.

I almost forgot the Robinson Armament XCR is loosely based off the Kalashnikov operating system. With a combination of AR ergonomics and barrel/caliber interchangeability. I was very close to buying one of these it looks like a quality product. However, when they lost the importation contract for the VEPR they evidently were on a pay as you go contract with MOLOT they continued to take orders for the Vepr and had people waiting as much as 18 months for a rifle that they never got. That coupled with the fact that they have offered zero product support to existing Vepr owners make me question their business practices. Also another forum I am a member of contains a thread in which Alex Robinson personally resorts to name calling of another poster. I can understand defending yourself and your product however as a businessman you risk alienating your customers.

See, I just KNEW there was a reason I gave you a discount! Tell Misty she can't shoot it in that class, though! (Although maybe after or during lunch...)

:)

You betcha! I'll even do ya' one better... I'll bring it up to HGR on the 23rd :D

Hmm, seemed to have stumbled on some serious knowledge here!

I'm in the process of educating myself about AR15-style rifles, but the more I read, the more I seem to hear a little voice in my head say "What you REALLY want is an AK!"

So, with that in mind, I'd like to learn more about the AK platform (history, variants, how to shoot/procure/improve skills, etc). Anyone willing to offer up some suggested reading?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks guys! I see my list of summer reading has grown longer!

(I've lurked some at warriortalk, but have never posted -I simply have nothing to add that would be worth anyone's time to read at this point.)

-Len

Guest DEIMOS
Yep :D

The stock flash-hider is going to go, as well, in favor of a Phantom or a Vortex.

I'm excited...

Look at the Phoenix flash hider from saylorsmachine.com. David Saylors is my best freind, he is also an expert machinist and gunsmith.

Hmm, seemed to have stumbled on some serious knowledge here!

I'm in the process of educating myself about AR15-style rifles, but the more I read, the more I seem to hear a little voice in my head say "What you REALLY want is an AK!"

So, with that in mind, I'd like to learn more about the AK platform (history, variants, how to shoot/procure/improve skills, etc). Anyone willing to offer up some suggested reading?

Many thanks in advance.

Len, you're ALMOST on target :D if you really want to do some "quality" work with a rifle, then go for something in the .308 flavor! you won't regret it!

Julie was shooting 3 inch groups with the m1a at 250 yard range...that was the first time she'd shot at that distance, with iron sights.

then again, .308 is getting expensive ..it could be cost prohibitive.

One thing at a time, Tower, one thing at at time! :D

I'll get there. I do agree the ammo prices are crazy. I'll own one soon, just may not be able to shoot it much, or ever. But it shall be mine!

-Len

PS. Congrats to the SO on the nice groups. Iron sights? Dang!

Len, you're ALMOST on target :D if you really want to do some "quality" work with a rifle, then go for something in the .308 flavor! you won't regret it!

Julie was shooting 3 inch groups with the m1a at 250 yard range...that was the first time she'd shot at that distance, with iron sights.

then again, .308 is getting expensive ..it could be cost prohibitive.

It was nice meeting you Eddie. That's one sweet AK. The finish on it looks better than most that I've seen and the black furniture goes well with it.

It was a pleasure to finally meeet you, as well... and Sam, too :D

Looking forward to emptying some casings with ya'll sometime soon!