One eye or both?

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

Just got back from an IDPA shoot today. One of the stations was 5 targets strong hand and 5 targets weak hand. There was much discussion on technique for aim for this type of shooting. I myself being right handed, use my right eye for aim when shooting strong side. Now when I switch to weak (left) side, I close my right eye and use my left. Some say keep both eyes open at all times. I noticed that those guys seemed to struggle more with the weak side targets than I did. I guess my technique may seem strange to some, but it works for me. What are the advantages to keeping both eyes open at all times and how do you adjust you sight line to accommodate for it? Any help?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

Two eye advantage is that in a real combat situation you have no loss of peripheral vision. This can well save you but in a real fire fight. It is also not that hard to adapt to.

Guest Grout

I leave both eyes open but it does not really matter as my right eye is a blur so I hold the handgun straight and turn my head slightly to the right and use the left eye.I shoot long guns lefty.

Edited by Grout

Right eye dominant, left handed shooter with handguns, right handed with long guns. Both eyes open all the time. With handguns, I simply rotate (not tilt) my head to the left and look down the sights with my right eye. Been shooting w/ both eyes open for 30 years (thanks to my father for starting me out that way).

I shoot with one eye closed, but really feel like I need to learn to shoot with both open. I fear it's going to be like relearning to shoot all over again, so I keep putting it off. Anyone here make the transition from one eye to both open?

Guest cdsusong

do you get the "cross eyed vision" when using both eyes open? it seems like the picture sight with the front sight is clearer with one eye open to me. I do shoot trap and skeet with both eyes open and do well with it. But you have a larger margin for error with a shotgun. I guess trigger time will tell the tale. I have Mepro night sights on my rig now. should I look at fiber optic front sight for more accuracy. How would a ghost sight rear and fiber front work out?

do you get the "cross eyed vision" when using both eyes open? it seems like the picture sight with the front sight is clearer with one eye open to me. I do shoot trap and skeet with both eyes open and do well with it. But you have a larger margin for error with a shotgun. I guess trigger time will tell the tale. I have Mepro night sights on my rig now. should I look at fiber optic front sight for more accuracy. How would a ghost sight rear and fiber front work out?

I don't, but YMMV

Guest canynracer
I shoot with one eye closed, but really feel like I need to learn to shoot with both open. I fear it's going to be like relearning to shoot all over again, so I keep putting it off. Anyone here make the transition from one eye to both open?

Yes, its really not as "hard" as you think.....next time you are at the range, go 10 feet and give it a try...you will be suprised.

Guest wheelgunner100

I am right eye dominant and right handed. I shoot with both eyes open. When I shoot left-handed I tilt the gun slightly to my right which puts the sights in front of my right eye. Works for me.

Yes, its really not as "hard" as you think.....next time you are at the range, go 10 feet and give it a try...you will be suprised.

Yah, I guess now's as good a time as any...

I'll just tell the RangeUSA guys to put me in the range where no one else is - no telling what i might shoot. hehehe

Guest cdsusong

ok, i will give it a go. if you stop learning and moving forward you aint doing nothing but backing up! any thoughts on the ghost ring or fiber front sight?

Guest Hyaloid

There can be much more involved than just being simply right or left eye dominant. I would find a local optometrist, and call the office. Ask if the doctor is comfortable or experienced troubleshooting (no pun intended) firearm visual tasks/issues.

Depending on where you live, I may be able to recommend one for you.

My technique for shooting one-handed is pretty standard.

Blade your body somewhat to the target (gun-arm shoulder forward), tuck your off-hand to your chest in a fist, and roll the gun in toward your centerline (1/2 gangsta-style) to straighten the wrist out so it's aligned with your forearm. I find this helps the sights track better. However, many superb shooters use their normal isosceles stance and keep the gun vertical. Whatever works for you.

Holding your off-hand in against your chest is helpful. If you watch anyone good, they keep that arm SOMEWHERE, either up front or on their hip. If you wave that arm around even a little, it will cause your body and sights to move around more than if it were stationary.

If you really want to game it, grasp your first spare magazine with your weak hand during strong-hand-only stages that require a reload. Fire your six shots, and draw the magazine. The rulebook states that the reload begins when a mag is ejected OR when the spare is drawn from it's pouch. It's perfectly legal, and I like to do it just to frustrate the anti-gamers. ;)

Also, since my weak-hand trigger control suffers, I choke up on the trigger a ton. It's PAST the first joint, waaaaay in from the tip of the finger where I normally shoot). I've found this helps me to avoid pulling my shots to the left like a brand new Glock shooter, which I nearly am when firing right-handed. ;)

It works for me, at least at the Expert level in IDPA. Scroll to the 0:40 timestamp in this video: It's 6 shots strong-hand-only from the holster, and I was zero-down:

Edited by MemphisMechanic
Yah, I guess now's as good a time as any...

I'll just tell the RangeUSA guys to put me in the range where no one else is - no telling what i might shoot. hehehe

We'll go together and shoot each other's targets ;)

I can do both eyes open, but my sight acquiring is not as rapid shot-to-shot.

We'll go together and shoot each other's targets ;)

Umm, are you asking me out?

You buy the ammo and some malt liquor and I'll wear whatever you want...

Hey, what do you mean this isn't a PM??? Dangit!

Umm, are you asking me out?

You buy the ammo and some malt liquor and I'll wear whatever you want...

Hey, what do you mean this isn't a PM??? Dangit!

HAHAHAHA! Well that wasn't the intention, but what the hell! 100 rounds of .223 and some Mad Dog 20/20 outta do it.

What's the song? If you like pina coladas and 50 round drum magazines, If you're not into Obama and you have half a brain... ;)

I alway recommend shooting defensive firearms with both eyes open. When you are in a lethal confrontation, you are NOT going to have one eye closed! They will both be WIDE OPEN.

Since I train Armed Professionals, support hand only shooting with short and long gun is mandatory. There are three ways to do it.

PRACTICE< PRACTICE< PRACTICE!!!!

There is about an 80% chance if you take a round in a gunfight, that you will lose the use of your primary gun hand.

NOW DO YOU WANT TO PRACTICE SUPPORT HAND ONLY???

Guest jackdog
ok, i will give it a go. if you stop learning and moving forward you aint doing nothing but backing up! any thoughts on the ghost ring or fiber front sight?

Yup set up a Glock 23 that way about four years ago. I love it, and yup both the peepers are always open, this includes scoped rifles.

Guest db99wj

I always used one eye, but have moved to both eyes. I will catch myself using only one eye ever so often.

For those that are cross eye dominant.

My 9 year old daughter is right handed, and left eye dominant. New shooter, she has shot once and we are going in a couple of weeks. Pistol she seems to do ok. Rifle she has problems with. Being that she is new should I teach her to shoot left handed (rifle) or use both eyes open?

I learned to shoot with both eyes open (shotgun & pistol)... I can't bring myself to close one eye, and I doubt that I would under stress. I can shoot rifles with un-magnified optics or open sights well... but have never been much of a long-range rifle shooter because the practicality of concentrating so much on closing one eye and thinking about each shot just doesn't do it for me, knowing that I'll never be presented with an urgent need for such a shot. Being able to make hits on a man-sized target out to several hundred yards with both eyes open using a magnified optic is acceptable to me... I guess the issue is that measuring group-size in minute-of-angle has simply never intrigued me as useful (for myself).

Maybe I should try deer hunting or something, to broaden my horizons...