Butchering class?

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

I have noticed a marked increase in interest in raising meat rabbits and/or chickens by the general public.  Many of these people are complete novices.  I am happy to see the interest, even by the complete novice, because it is good that people want to get back in touch with their food.  Some want to raise their own for lean times, prepping is becoming more mainstream  and backyard chickens/rabbits are an easy way to get started.

That being said, I see a market developing where people need someone to teach them how to butcher chickens and/or rabbits.  My thought is to offer a class on maintaining a rabbitry and the conclusion would be me butchering a rabbit.

What do you think the best way would be to go about advertising it?  How would you word the class?  Where would you post it, etc...?  Thoughts, opinions and advice all welcomed.  Semper Fi,

Joe

Guest ochretoe

It is a great idea.  How to word it depends on your area and what the whole class is.  If it was close I would love to take the class.  I have skinned and butchered a lot of different animals but who knows if I did it right or easiest.

That'll be a good class for someone who doesn't know how. One word of advice....If advertising on the interent, be fully aware that PETA and the Humane Society could get wind of your class and cause headaches. I've seen it happen.

I would word it "Raising farm animals for survival purposes". Do everything by PM and Email and don't blast it all over the forums. It got so bad that I stopped putting my hunting pics on facebook!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

I think it's an excellent idea Joe.

My Father was a butcher, and I was raised in an old fashioned meat market back in the '60's...not pre-packaged and pre-cut meats...sides of beef and pork, whole chickens and fryers... we even raised and butcher our our hogs. We had a cinderblock smokehouse, salt and sugar cured hams we cut...

But that was a different time and those skills are rapidly being lost. Most folks think meat is "grown" on styrofoam trays covered in cello wrap. :cool:

I think your offer would be a great service to the community, and that charging for the lessons only makes sense. People actually do see value in what they purchase, vs what is "free", imho.

PETA is a PITA. But good point DaveS.

Edited by prag

I think your offer would be a great service to the community, and that charging for the lessons only makes sense. People actually do see value in what they purchase, vs what is "free", i think

See I disagree. I don't think anyone who has attended my blacksmithing classes feels like there is less value because its free. I assume he will be charging since he mentioned there being a market. Id be intrested either way.

I would be interested.
I'd think feed stores, the co-ops, TSC etc would be a good place to advertise (at least for the chicken folks). I also know the folks that run the local chickens "meet up" group. Edited by jilly
Guest USMC 2013
Thank you for the great replies! I didn't think about PETA, thank you Dave. Also, the suggestion to post at the feed stores was great info as well. I would charge, unless it was for a friend, but keep it minimal. If I did a 90 minute class, $20 per person, max of 10 people, is my initial thought. After going over the basics of running a rabbitry, feed, health, how to breed them, housing, safe plants to feed if you forage, etc... it would be butchering time. I would butcher one for demonstration. Then if anyone wanted to butcher a rabbit, with me talking them through it, it would only cost an extra $10 and you keep the rabbit to try eating one. Just my initial brainstorming thoughts and since I trust this community thought to run it through here first. Price, time, etc.. could all change and I still need to lock on a location. I'll have enough fryers to do something like this at the end of March so that is my goal timeframe to offer this class if I can make it a go. I live in Clarksville, but since a location needs to be found it could be done elsewhere if kept to 10 people. Thanks again, Joe

See I disagree. I don't think anyone who has attended my blacksmithing classes feels like there is less value because its free. I assume he will be charging since he mentioned there being a market. Id be intrested either way.

I certainly respect your viewpoint good Sir. And I'm also certain my statement doesn't apply to everyone.

It's just been with my experiences, that when people pay even a "token" fee, they have a sense of ownership in their actions, and tend to be more receptive of the information being offered.

There are exceptions always.

You can find most of the info about raising animals at your local extension office. They also give free classes but they don't get into butchering.

What I'd think you'd want to do is give some brief animal husbandry at the begining of the class but other than that I'd just tell them where to get the info (the extension office) and have the bulk of the class be about butchering. You may want to check with them yourself to help you with the class, they are always glad to help at the local office here.

We haven't done any in the last couple of years but we always used to kill hogs every winter. I've thought about giving a class myself and have it be a hands on class.

I will say I've found out that a lot of the people that think they would like to butcher their own meat run the other way when you get into the blood and guts of it.

I like the meetup group idea... Even though the one mentioned was for another topic. It would be a great way to handle scheduling and get the information out there about other topics as well. Maybe the bigger "prep" concepts could be discussed. Local farmers market might be another good place to find folks with an interest in learning these skills.
  • 1 month later...
Guest USMC 2013

My buddy decided to go forward and offer a class on raising rabbits.  It will cover everything from selecting your breeding stock, feeding, care and butchering.  Two rabbits will be slaughtered, using two different methods humane methods and then class participants will have an option to purchase a rabbit and be walked through the butchering process.

The guy running the class is Jason Akers.  He is a published author and runs the Self Sufficient Gardener podcast.

If you're interested shoot me a PM with your email address and I will forward you the flyer.  Semper Fi,

Joe

My buddy decided to go forward and offer a class on raising rabbits.  It will cover everything from selecting your breeding stock, feeding, care and butchering.  Two rabbits will be slaughtered, using two different methods humane methods and then class participants will have an option to purchase a rabbit and be walked through the butchering process.

The guy running the class is Jason Akers.  He is a published author and runs the Self Sufficient Gardener podcast.

If you're interested shoot me a PM with your email address and I will forward you the flyer.  Semper Fi,

Joe

I've listened to an interview with Jason Akers and have read on his website. Very impressive.

I would love to attend just to pick his brain a bit. It'll be an excellent learning situation, No Doubt!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dmarcin
It amazes me sometime that are people who do not know things I was taught at 8 years of age. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have been brought up in a atmosphere of hunting, fishing and farming. I was taught to hunt and fish and how to clean and cook these items when i was very young. We killed deer and butchered them as well as once or twice a year killing hogs. We butchered these hogs and did something with everything but the squeal. Lard was rendered, hams, bacons and shoulders were salted or smoked for later use. We have killed as many as 25 chickens at a time to can, freeze and eat? Ask any hunter how he cleans his game and cleans the fish he catches, most will be more than happy to let you help him. There are still many farmers that still kill their hogs and goats that would like some help. Some would even share a portion of the game or fish if you help them with the cleaning.
  • 3 weeks later...

Dmarcin, I consider it unfortunate that I was not brought up in the environment you have described. My families before me were hunters and farmers, it seems, right up until my parents' generation. My mom never liked guns and wouldn't let me near them. The most unfortunate part of this, is that my grandfather greatly wanted to take me hunting with him (at least once he found out I could imitate a wild turkey call good enough that they'd talk back). My mom would not let this happen and the most unfortunate part of that is the fact that it decreased the amount of time I got to spend with my grandfather while he was alive.

Guest dmarcin
You are so right. Times are a changing. There is so much knowledge that will be and is being lost to the present generation. My grand kids are being brought up in an outdoor environment as was there father, my son. They will not have the experiences I did but they will be able to make do if they had to. There are so many things we should be teaching our young. Not just survival skills but common courtesy, respect, self worth, a good work ethetic and being responsible for their choices in life. Also how to identify poison ivy and not to poke a skunk.