Nra press -- not bad, one epic fail

Companies pay millions to remind us to purchase the products we like, to try a new product that looks appealing or to advertise their services.

People were killing cops well before the NWA came along. Mario Brothers did not cause mass-turtle killings. Call Of Duty did not cause the 1996 school shooting in Washington. Street Fighter did not cause the Bath House bombings.

You're a music producer, correct? If entertainment is really the cause of this, then why don't you stop working in the industry that is causing it?

Companies pay billions to influence us - that's the point. You can deny it all day, but if you've never left a movie theater emotionally effected (excited, angry, somber, etc), then you've not been to very many movies. No one is suggesting the rampant violence is the ONLY cause, but to deny that our society's exposure is a non-issues is silly.

No, I'm not a producer, but I do work in the recording industry. The industry as a whole is not evil or prone to promoting violence, misogyny, etc, though there are definitely aspects of it that do glorify that sort of stuff. Same with the motion picture industry. And just as any other business that operates in an industry where there is a seedy underbelly, mine stays above that stuff - we refuse to work on things that contain that sort of glorification of violence or degradation. And for the record, your straw man proposal is ludicrous - it's akin to the gun-grabbers wanting to ban guns from all people because of the actions of a few.

The point is we, as a society, have screwed up in a lot of ways. Much of it is simply unavoidable - in a world where individual liberty is king (which is should be, imo) there are associated dangers that simply cannot be avoided.

Edited by crimsonaudio
  • Like 1
Companies pay billions to influence us - that's the point. You can deny it all day, but if you've never left a movie theater emotionally effected (excited, angry, somber, etc), then you've not been to very many movies. No one is suggesting the rampant violence is the ONLY cause, but to deny that our society's exposure is a non-issues is silly.

No, I'm not a producer, but I do work in the recording industry. The industry as a whole is not evil or prone to promoting violence, misogyny, etc, though there are definitely aspects of it that do glorify that sort of stuff. Same with the motion picture industry. And just as any other business that operates in an industry where there is a seedy underbelly, mine stays above that stuff - we refuse to work on things that contain that sort of glorification of violence or degradation. And for the record, your straw man proposal is ludicrous - it's akin to the gun-grabbers wanting to ban guns from all people because of the actions of a few.

Companies spend billions to get us to buy things we want or need, or to influence our regular purchases of one brand over another.

Only a deranged psycho wants to kill someone and playing a video game will not influence that.

Explain the straw man. Your claim is that entrainment influences us after stating that you work in the very same industry.

If I have come to an incorrect impression then it is because of your own words.

Guest Dirquin
I place a lot of the blame on the media and the way they make these murderers famous. Thats what they are after! They want to be remembered for something even if it is for something horrible!

Treat them like a rape victim and never mention their names. A year from now most of us will not remember the names of the victims but the name of the shooter will be there. Take the OK City bombing. Everyone remembers Timothy McVeigh but try to name a single victim without using Google.

I also place some blame on the video games and movies but by themselves don't cause people to snap. I believe that some can't mentally handle the violence of these and those are the ones that need to be identified. The problem is that parents don't spend mear as much quality time with children these days and there are many more single parent homes that are struggling to get by further limiting that time. No parent wants to think that their child could possibly do anything like this but everytime it happens the one doing the shooting is someones child!

Whats the answer? I don't know. This is my opinion of where the blame falls and it's not the guns. McVeigh didn't use a gun but achieved a much bigger result than shooters.

EXACITALLY!!!!All they want is the attention. If we refuse to give these people the attention then it will lower the odds of it happening. 

I have a 10y old boy and i dont restrict anything other then adult xxx rated movies from him. He understands the difference between real life and movie magic. He also shoots alot with me and knows what a gun can and will do. He knows how to shoot archery, in all aspects, and he is very level headed. He is not a violent child do to games or movies or activitys that we do. I have other childrens parents telling me how nice of a kid he is and how polite he is and respectfull. Its all up to what the parents teach them. 

Japan has games too violent for release in the US.  I'm afraid if games were so responsible they would be having a bigger problem than we are which just isn't the case.

Aren't guns illegal in Japan? Maybe the reason they don't have school shootings....

Dave S

Companies spend billions to get us to buy things we want or need, or to influence our regular purchases of one brand over another.

Only a deranged psycho wants to kill someone and playing a video game will not influence that.

Explain the straw man. Your claim is that entrainment influences us after stating that you work in the very same industry.

If I have come to an incorrect impression then it is because of your own words.

So you'll suggest some media influences us but not others? I take it you've never been emotionally moved by a media production? A song, a movie, nothing?

Most everything we brush up against in our lives influences us in some small way or another, to claim otherwise is, well, you just go on believing that if you wish. Maybe you're the anomaly.

You said "If entertainment is really the cause of this, then why don't you stop working in the industry that is causing it?" - I never said entertainment was the sole cause of it, and I in fact specified what types of negative influence are likely a part of this in our society, yet you chose to act as if I was blaming the industry as a whole. Not sure if that's willful ignorance or a straw-man, I chose to believe it was the latter. 

Again, you can argue until you're blue in the face that media doesn't influence us, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Go right ahead, I'm not going to argue with you - I've made my point. Hopefully some folks have an open mind and are inquisitive enough to seek out the info that's freely available.

Have fun, I'm out.

No. First person shooter video games need, at the very least, to be M for mature or something. They are not appropriate for impressionable youth. We are training a generation of unstable killers. 

The same goes for movies, which at least deal with PG-13 and R ratings. Ultra-violent movies, perhaps, ought to earn X Ratings. Easy enough to culturally adjust.

The first person shooter video-games and movies are very similar in content to the tools used to train soldiers, but without the moral and legal obligation training that surrounds soldier training.

Not all, but enough succumb to this. Some folks advocate for the First Amendment angle on this when in fact they are just video game aficionados or ultra-violent movie lovers making excuses for their own secret vices.

IMO.

While I would agree that the producers and studios need to have a come to Jesus meeting about the audience they are aiming for, the responsibility for monitoring this content ultimately falls on the parents. One year just before Easter I was working at a local computer store and had a little old grandmother hand me a copy of Diablo II to purchase. I thought it was a little odd and asked her casually why she picked this particular game. She told me it was on her 9 yr. old grandson's gift list and that it was what he wanted so she went and bought it for him. I know that particular game isn't nearly as evil as some have claimed but it proves that the rating system that is forced onto the industry is ineffective since adults will continue to buy their kids these games or take them to R rated movies. The problem I have with limiting the 1st amendment is where do you draw the line? Who determines what is too much? Until we as consumers take responsibilty for what we consume we will continue to promote a market for the legitimate trash that is out there and the producers will continue to provide for the demand. When my kids are old enough for video games and movies I will be their rating system and, just as it was in my house growing up, your first amendment rights with mom and dad do not apply.

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Like 1

I think parents should be making that decision for their own children not the government.  Much like R rated movies, you can attend with your parent in tow.

Also remember that rating systems are voluntary and subjective.  They should not be used as a substitute for a parents good judgement.

No. First person shooter video games need, at the very least, to be M for mature or something. They are not appropriate for impressionable youth. We are training a generation of unstable killers. 

The same goes for movies, which at least deal with PG-13 and R ratings. Ultra-violent movies, perhaps, ought to earn X Ratings. Easy enough to culturally adjust.

The first person shooter video-games and movies are very similar in content to the tools used to train soldiers, but without the moral and legal obligation training that surrounds soldier training.

Not all, but enough succumb to this. Some folks advocate for the First Amendment angle on this when in fact they are just video game aficionados or ultra-violent movie lovers making excuses for their own secret vices.

IMO.

The point is we, as a society, have screwed up in a lot of ways. Much of it is simply unavoidable - in a world where individual liberty is king (which is should be, imo) there are associated dangers that simply cannot be avoided.

Well said.

Of course media influences us...to deny that is ridiculous.  Media, and advertising in particular has changed our society

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society… In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons … who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”– Edward Bernays, founder of the public relations industry.

Among other things, Bernays and his methods is why Americans think a bacon and eggs breakfast is "normal"; it didn't use to be!

I don't know how much, if any, violent video games or other media play any part in the mass shootings we've seen recently, but to deny that possibility seems ludicrous on its face and while some here seem to claim they know; the fact is that we don't know and until there has been legitimate, scientific studies done to examine the issue there is not way to know.

All that aside, I'm not suggesting that we should ban or legislate such games and media out of the marketplace...in fact, I don't think we should.  Not only do I think that would be the wrong thing to do I don't believe for a moment that it would solve the problem because the problem is, as has already been mentioned, society.

Edited by RobertNashville
Secularism is more to blame than gaming or mass media. It's a loss of the valuation of life because of the denial of a spiritual component. The games, media are simply outcomes just as are the shootings. They aren't source problems manifesting the outcome.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
So you'll suggest some media influences us but not others? I take it you've never been emotionally moved by a media production? A song, a movie, nothing?

Most everything we brush up against in our lives influences us in some small way or another, to claim otherwise is, well, you just go on believing that if you wish. Maybe you're the anomaly.

You said "If entertainment is really the cause of this, then why don't you stop working in the industry that is causing it?" - I never said entertainment was the sole cause of it, and I in fact specified what types of negative influence are likely a part of this in our society, yet you chose to act as if I was blaming the industry as a whole. Not sure if that's willful ignorance or a straw-man, I chose to believe it was the latter. 

Again, you can argue until you're blue in the face that media doesn't influence us, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Go right ahead, I'm not going to argue with you - I've made my point. Hopefully some folks have an open mind and are inquisitive enough to seek out the info that's freely available.

Have fun, I'm out.

You know, I've been thinking about it and I do see your point. Seriously.

This occurred while watching a KFC (ick) commercial and getting hungry. :D

But there is a big, BIG difference between a sane person being "influenced" by a food commercial and an insane person going on a shooting rampage.

Bad things come from bad people. Bad things are not caused - in whole or in part - by the media.

Our entertainment centered culture has only been a part of our lives for 3 decades. Violent video games have only been a part of pop-culture for a decade or so.

What do you think influenced the insane before TVs were in every home in this country?

And what about other cultures that are more violent than ours that either have no access to entertainment, or have bans on "immoral" entertainment?

Guest TNSovereignty

The mass culture is brainwashed & has not been trained to think ... logic is a lost art.

The mass culture is dumb as a brick; many are information junkies but care nothing for actually increasing in knowledge/wisdom.  Complexity is boring - everyone wants an answer that can be encapsulated in a 30-second sound-bite.

This issue is like many others - complex cultural issues in our nation are interconnected.  Dad's are AWOL, Mom's are too busy supporting households, the 'civil rights' and welfare movements have emasculated minorities & robbed them of dignity.  Etc etc.  Most of our problems have been fomented by government, but the people have allowed it to happen over several generations.  This current generation is at fault because we want easy/cheap answers; even too many gun owners want to delegate the hard work to the NRA.  

I understand the NRA is doing their best with the available airtime but they're in a mighty tough situation - the people they're trying to persuade have  minds that are comfortably numbed.

Sorry ... feeling a bit curmudgeonly this evening.

We HAD school resource officers in Davidson county.Once the money ran out so did the school cops.the school cop thing worked.

Thinking more about this,if the media would black out the personal info, goals and or messages these sh*t bags, have, that engage in these "i want attention" killings,maybe these turds will go away with the mindset that no one gives a rats ass if they take life. The one pulling the switch or the one injecting them with fluid to make their lives stop should be the only ones who care as they have successfully solved the problem of fixing a bad irreparable case of stupid.......

We can speculate all day but i truly wish the media would not embellish these tragedies.The ill minds that commit these heinous acts thrive on attention received during their last grandstanded act. These shootings have been nothing but food for tyrants with mental issues.
One of the best ways to get confessions on acts similar to these is to tell the shooter( if they live long enough) that no one will know anything about what they did and it will be covered up to where all will believe the shooter will die in jail best known as a child rapist........its at this point they spew enough confession material as to where the jury can self induce coma and deliver a 30 second verdict.........
sad day indeed 
when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns Ezekiel 25:17 Path of the righteous man, fabricated but true.....

he attacks our culture not just video games and while its un deniable

kids today are subjected to violence in the day to day life on TV and gaming

its still up to good parenting to teach your children well.....

We do lack Family TV shows today I noticed and have some pretty

violent shit on TV and in Music.......but at the end of the day

schools need armed guards like airports,stadiums,banks etc