Latest trip to Nashville Armory

hipower

Well, after asking what you bought lately, I decided to call Nashville Armory about the waiting list for the Shield.

Miss Morgan picked up and I told her why I was calling. She said wait a minute, she would try to find out for me. And all done very plesantly I might add, because I could hear the mob in the background.

After a few minutes wait, Andrew informed me I was next in line. I thanked him and said that was great. Figured I would see one in early Janusary. That was on Wednesday.

On Thursday night, Andrew calls and says I have a Shield waiting for me. Joy!! Joy!!

Since I really didn't feel that good; suffering with a sinusitis bout. I asked if I could pick it up Friday. Sure, he says.

So Friday afternoon I'm standing in the same mob again that I heard over the phone, waiting patiently to get to a csa. It did take a while, probably 45 minutes. but I passed the time listening to the guys explain gun stuff to what appeared to be many first time buyers. One gentleman wanted to trade in his PM9 on something "bigger."

Didn't get all the details because about that time I got picked out of the throng. My apologies to the young man, I'm sure I'm messing up on his name. I think it was something like Kanan? Keirnan?

Anyway he goes and get the Shield 9 and I look it over. I'm completely satisfied with it. Say I have but one question...how much is it now? I'm sure it's gone up since their opening.

No he says. Same price as then. Whatt?? Couldn't believe it. Not taking advantage of a hard to get item? No premium for it? And get this. Actually had a couple of mags for it.

Amazing. I've been watching sites looking for mags. Just 'cause I hate only having 1 or 2 for something. Nobody has any of them.

Trying not to be greedy, I only took one off the wall. Left some for the next lucky guy. Besides 3 should be enough for me. Surely. One in the pistol and 2 backups for a small cc 9. I can live with that till mags are more readily available.

Anyway, fill out the form, call in, and wait for about 20 minutes for confirmation. Luckily, the good people in the check room still like me, so I walked out very happy.

Very Happy. Shield 9 with 2 mags, one extra mag, tax and tic...533. Best price I'd found on the auction sites started there, plus shipping.

So yes, I'm very satisfied with the experience there. My thanks to Andrew and all the staff I've met.

Will heartily recommend The Nashville Armory to anyone.

On...and the little Shield, no didn't fire it then. Way too big a crowd to wait. I'll get around to it after the holidays. No, I'm not crazy, I've shot one before and totally in love with it.

After a few hundred rounds to get settled in, it will, I think, become my primary carry. Even looks like it will replace my PPS9.

Not really any size difference in them to speak of. In fact the Shield is a hair bigger. But it fits me better, feels better, and the recoil impulse is much more comfortable than shooting the PPS.

Oh, there was one downside. My wife didn't think it was very "attractive." Go figure that one.

Yeah, I know...no pics, so it didn't really happen. But no gear to post with. Don't own a smart phone. Just an old dinosaur using an old flip style.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

:lol: Nice... they called me about that Shield right before they called you I guess.  We had put our name on the list a while back but after picking up the XD-S for pocket carry, I just couldn't bring myself to do the Shield right now.

Congrats!  I'll be interested in hearing how you like it long term.

Your loss, as such, is definitely my gain here. I appreciate you going in the other direction, David.

I've had the opportunity to hold the XD-S, but haven't fired one. But I did get a comment from a friend on one. Like me, he's a little older and altough a fan of 45 and 1911 guns, Bill's commentary suggested the little pocket rocket was a bit harsh for him, and just really didn't suit him. Just different strokes as they say.

I do have some experience with smaller 45s, among them the Smith micro pistols, a Springer, and a Colt New Agent in 45. While I like the small cannons, my personal preferences run to the 9mm for carry.

Again, just different tastes.

But thanks for passing on it.

After a few range sessions, I'll post more commentary on the Shield 9. Edited by hipower