Walther PPS or hold out for Shield?

knox

Looking for something a bit more narrow than my Glock 19 (or a Glock 26, for that matter) for EDC.  I LOVE Glocks, and the 26 was going to be my next gun.  But after much research, I think the Shield would be more comfortable thanks to the narrow profile.

Now, we all know that Shields are next to impossible to find.  The next best thing (in my opinion), is the Walther PPS.  

I have read too many problem stories about the Kahr CM9 to consider it - which is sad, because it seems like a nice gun as far as size goes.

So, do I go ahead and get the PPS, or wait until the Shield becomes available?  My heart tells me to wait, even if it takes till next October.  I just don't know.

Thanks for the opinions.  And Merry Christmas, everyone! 

This is my personal opinion. Doesn't mean it's right for all. But having owned a PPS40, then a PPS9, I vote for the Shield 9. It just suits me better. I was on a waiting list for one for about 2 months and got one. Still carry the PPS9 as I haven't fully run enough rounds thru the Shield to be a permanent cc. Also have had a Kahr 9, a PF-9, and a Nano. For me, the Shield is #1, the Nano is dead last.
  • Like 1
This is my personal opinion. Doesn't mean it's right for all. But having owned a PPS40, then a PPS9, I vote for the Shield 9. It just suits me better. I was on a waiting list for one for about 2 months and got one. Still carry the PPS9 as I haven't fully run enough rounds thru the Shield to be a permanent cc. Also have had a Kahr 9, a PF-9, and a Nano. For me, the Shield is #1, the Nano is dead last.

That is what I hear from several PPS owners.  I guess I will see if I can get on some waiting lists here in K-town.  

That Shield is one heck of a gun...

Edited by knox
Well, if you love your Glocks, I would say the PPS. It's the single stack that Glock just won't make. I sure regret selling mine.

I've never warmed up to the M&P thing.

I definitely want to shoot both before I make the final decision.  And with the wait time on the Shield, I have plenty of time to do that.  Thanks for your reply.

I think it would be hard to beat a PPS in any flavor.  I would love to have one in 40 S & W myself.  The problem is when i find one i dont have the dough, and when i have the dough (...hardly ever anymore; too many places to put it, it seems...), i cant find the pistola.  The PPS is a bit more pricey than the S & W, but they are a great little pistol.

Merry Christmas!

leroy

Guest hi im drummer03

I have shot the PPS.I own the Shield in 9mm and 40. My dad just sold his Gloc 27 and bought a Shield 40.We both agree hands down the Shield over the PPS. PPS is more money and not any better.Its easier to find.

Well, dang.  After spending some time on the Walther PPS forum, I just don't want to take the chance that I will get a gun that I have to send back for repair / replacement.

Just simply too many people with FTF / FTE / Failure to go back into battery.  I thought Walther had a great reputation for quality, but when a Walther forum is full of problems, too many red flags go up.

Yes, some people never have a problem.  But knowing my luck, I will get a lemon.

Maybe by next summer I will be able to find a Shield. 

Not all were the old date codes if I recall.  Several that were bought this year.  I know to look for a BB or BC stamp.

I want to love the PPS, but I am very cautious at this point.  It is a hassle to send a gun in, no matter how great customer service is.  Maybe I am spoiled by my Glock.

If the shield had an accessory rail, I would probably have bought one.  But I passed over it and bought the PPS from the same store instead that does have a rail.  I am really happy with the PPS.  I have NOT had the chance to shoot it a bunch yet, though.  I have only put a couple of boxes of critical duty through it (no malfs).

I picked up a Shield this morning for $450 out the door. I said to myself last week that if I found another one I would just buy it, so I did. It was a .40, which is fine by me since I buy 9mm ammo but reload 40S&W. I have not shot it yet but after holding it and slipping it in my pocket, I think it's a little larger than what I thought it would be. If anyone in Chattanooga wants to shoot it PM me.
  • Like 1
Guest hi im drummer03

You can find them here and there.The 40s are showing up at different places but the 9mm is scarce.

Also to the mention on no tactical rail.Why is that a big deal in a small gun?

Nobody else is saying it, so I will.  Bersa makes a striker 9mm comparable to the Shield called the BP9CC.   The grips are a tad thinner than the Shield, but the overall width is greater.  I've had mine for a few months now and its accuracy is amazing.  As far as I know, it's availability is better than the Walther or Shield.  Just sayin'.

I have held both and fired neither. I liked the ergonomics of the Shield better. Neither are pocket guns IMO. Good for IWB.

I'll probably pick up a shield nine in a year or so after the prices come back down to earth....that is at 400 or less.

I would look at and prefer a Kahr CM9 over the PPS. I have had a PM9 for years and it's hard to beat after all these years.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

Only comes with one magazine.