respectable 2A journalism by Demoines Register (Gannett)

maybe not -

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312300033&gcheck=1

• Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.) Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.

• Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.

Pretty violent rhetoric from a "respectible" news organization....

Gannet? Respectable? They print the Tennessean and USA Today. Says enough to me. :D

They are only a part of the vast leftwing nutjob media propaganda machine. You read enough of it and

I promise, you'll go blind.

You're so dense. It's obviously because they're liberals and only thinking of the greater good. Sheesh, some people.  :rant:

What tickles me about these libtards. All their voilent talk is based on using "their" hired guns to get any of it done. I've known a bunch of their hired guns over the years. If they only knew them :)

Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.)

Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.
I’m no fan of the NRA but I almost puked when I read that. This guy is the kind of nutcase that gets some of the pro-gun folks so wound up they are ready to turn on their own.

Of course they put this at the end of the story instead of the beginning so we would waste our time reading it. Go really retire this time. You have lost any sign of journalistic ethics or responsibility, if you ever had any.

Wouldn't his comment â€¢ Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.  be considered threatening a governmental official?

Threatening the government officials of the United States is a serious crime under federal lawThreatening the President of the United States is a Class D felony under 18 U.S.C. Â§ 871, punishable by 5 years of imprisonment, that is investigated by the United States Secret Service. Threatening other officials is a Class C or D felony, usually carrying maximum penalties of 5 or 10 years under 18 U.S.C. Â§ 87518 U.S.C. Â§ 876 and other statutes, that is investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. When national boundaries are transcended by such a threat, it is considered a terrorist threat.[1] When a threat is made against a judge, it can be considered obstruction of justice.[2] Threatening federal officials' family members is also a federal crime; in enacting the law, theCommittee on the Judiciary stated that "Clearly it is a proper Federal function to respond to terrorists and other criminals who seek to influence the making of Federal policies and interfere with the administration of justice by attacking close relatives of those entrusted with these tasks."[3] There are three elements of the offense of making an illegal threat: (i) there must be a transmission in interstate commerce; (ii) there must be a communication containing the threat;(iii) and the threat must be a threat to injure the person of another.[4] Threats can also sometimes be punished under the statutes criminalizing assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain United States Government officers or employees[5] or assassinating, kidnapping, and assaulting the government officials of the United States.

• Like 1
Wouldn't his comment â€¢ Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.  be considered threatening a governmental official?

Threatening the government officials of the United States is a serious crime under federal lawThreatening the President of the United States is a Class D felony under 18 U.S.C. Â§ 871, punishable by 5 years of imprisonment, that is investigated by the United States Secret Service. Threatening other officials is a Class C or D felony, usually carrying maximum penalties of 5 or 10 years under 18 U.S.C. Â§ 87518 U.S.C. Â§ 876 and other statutes, that is investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. When national boundaries are transcended by such a threat, it is considered a terrorist threat.[1] When a threat is made against a judge, it can be considered obstruction of justice.[2] Threatening federal officials' family members is also a federal crime; in enacting the law, theCommittee on the Judiciary stated that "Clearly it is a proper Federal function to respond to terrorists and other criminals who seek to influence the making of Federal policies and interfere with the administration of justice by attacking close relatives of those entrusted with these tasks."[3] There are three elements of the offense of making an illegal threat: (i) there must be a transmission in interstate commerce; (ii) there must be a communication containing the threat;(iii) and the threat must be a threat to injure the person of another.[4] Threats can also sometimes be punished under the statutes criminalizing assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain United States Government officers or employees[5] or assassinating, kidnapping, and assaulting the government officials of the United States.

So, now how long before this guy is considered a domestic terrorist?  Threats are not protected under 1st amendment.

Edited by vontar
So, now how long before this guy is considered a domestic terrorist?  Threats are not protected under 1st amendment.
He’s talking about a theoretical program to end gun violence; not what he is going to do. No one, including him, expect those things to happen.
But he’s still a nut case.
He’s talking about a theoretical program to end gun violence; not what he is going to do. No one, including him, expect those things to happen.
But he’s still a nut case.

There have been much less benign comments that have gotten people in trouble.   For example, Bob Staats and his comment,

"Many people in Tennessee keep asking me about my opinion on Second Amendment rights. Apparently Tennesseans are part of that crazy crowd that Obama says 'cling to their religion and guns.' Well, then I must be part of that crazy crowd," he wrote in a caption beneath an upside-down picture of his gun. "Here is something that I usually have with me. Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama, where we appreciate our 2nd Amendment rights and the Constitution that was wisely given to us by our founding fathers."

Others may disagree but I don't see how he threatened the President with his comment.  IIRC he got a visit from the Secret Service.   

There have been much less benign comments that have gotten people in trouble.   For example, Bob Staats and his comment,

"Many people in Tennessee keep asking me about my opinion on Second Amendment rights. Apparently Tennesseans are part of that crazy crowd that Obama says 'cling to their religion and guns.' Well, then I must be part of that crazy crowd," he wrote in a caption beneath an upside-down picture of his gun. "Here is something that I usually have with me. Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Obama, where we appreciate our 2nd Amendment rights and the Constitution that was wisely given to us by our founding fathers."

Others may disagree but I don't see how he threatened the President with his comment.  IIRC he got a visit from the Secret Service.   
I’m not familiar with that case, but I’ve got to work with the Secret Service. They will go visit (Investigate) anyone, anywhere they think there is a potential threat, not just where the line has been crossed.

Ted Nugent was also investigated by the Secret Service for comments he made. It ended with the secret Service saying…"The issue has been resolved. The Secret Service does not anticipate any further action.", and Nugent saying "Good, solid, professional meeting concluding that I have never made any threats of violence towards anyone. The meeting could not have gone better,".

What trouble did Bob Staats get in?
What trouble did Bob Staats get in?

Here's a link to one of the articles.  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121002/NEWS02/310020036/Brad-Staats-Facebook-post-shows-gun-tells-Obama-Welcome-Tennessee-

I don't know if anything ever came of it other than I'm sure it didn't help in his bid to unseat Cooper in the election since the media made him look like a gun toting nut.   Granted he lost by a ton of votes so you can't likely say that one thing cost him the election.