Nashville HCP Training

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my class at Guns & Leather. Both men and women were in the class and it was a basic class to get you your permit. From what I have read most classes for your permit are basic stuff designed to get that permit. The reason that I choose G&L is price. They were only $55 then and today they are still only $60 (I looked at their web site yesterday). Others are $100 and up.

Once she gets her HCP you can look for other places like AAPS for more in depth training. I went to G&L with a friend who had his girlfriend with him who had not shot before and Dennis spent 10 or 15 minutes on the range with her. G&L really knows customer service!

Guest Todd@CIS
I recommend Critical Incident Strategies. Both Todd and Dustin were very helpful with the novice shooters in the class last month. The class was about 1/2 men and 1/2 women. The comments from all were very good.

Thank you Chip!

• Administrator

My wife took her class with Criticial Incident Strategies and Todd and Dustin bent over backwards to accommodate the need for her to not handle any ammo to avoid lead exposure (pregnant!). Dustin loaded mags for her during the shooting drills.

That sort of customer service combined with the glowing report and her own excitement about the class afterward made it a snap for me to decide to take their Defensive Pistol class subsequently.

Now while I don't think you could go wrong with CIS at all and highly recommend them, if your wife is interested in taking an "all women" HCP class, the folks at On Target in Murfreesboro are occasionally offering such classes and they are lead by one of their own female employees.

I hope this helps.

Guest goomba

I renewed my Armed Guard lic a few years ago through Mr. Tune at APPS (academy of personall protection & security)

He does the armed guard training as well as the HCP.

• Administrator
I renewed my Armed Guard lic a few years ago through Mr. Tune at APPS (academy of personall protection & security)

He does the armed guard training as well as the HCP.

After hearing some of the reports of the language that Buford uses in his classes, I'm not sure I'd send a sailor through his class let alone my wife.

Just my thoughts on that.

Guest ColdEspresso

My wife went to OnTarget in Murfreesboro. They offered a HCP class tought by a woman. My wife is an experienced shooter and she said that this woman was a pro. I took mine at Guns & Leather and it was also a good class.

• Administrator

I will say this...

When our class with CIS was going on last week we had eleven (11) students and two (2) instructors. We got a boatload of individual attention as Todd and Dustin worked up and down the line if students were doing live fire exercises. There were several instances when only two students were on the line at once, so you had one-on-one supervision at those times.

By comparison there was an APPS group taking their class next door. I would estimate the number of students to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35 people based on what I saw. It may have been more. I do know that they filled the bleechers up.

Our class was what I would call very organized and very methodical. Their class appeared to be quasi-organized chaos. No one over there shot anyone else, at least. Several of their students came over to watch us run our drills or ask for information about the class we were taking. I bet that made the APPS people happy. :)

From what I saw and heard, I can't imagine there being a whole lot of actual value in the class that was being given. I liked the fact that CIS keeps their student/instructor ratio intentionally low so that everyone gets their money's worth. I also liked the fact that any time "harsh language" was used in our class, it was used sparingly and to drive a point home and never directed at a student.

An example of when I think harsh language is appropriate in training?

The target in front of you isn't just a bad man who wants to remove your belongings from you under threat of injury or death. Rather, that is the murdering son of a bitch that wants to hurt you, kill your family and take away everything you've ever worked hard to obtain or accomplish. NOW FIGHT!!!

After going to several for TN Armed over the years I would tell everyone ,ladies

included to go to Bufords. I do not like him but what you learn cussing and all

it might save your life someday. Welcome to the real world.

Guest bkelm18
After going to several for TN Armed over the years I would tell everyone ,ladies

I'm of the mindset that you can learn something just as effectively, maybe even better, if no or little profanity is used...

Of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention HGR Firearms in Gallatin. Women-only and co-ed classes, small class sizes, and uses the NRA Basic Pistol curriculum. WAY more than you'll get from a TN HCP class both in terms of range time, firearms use, and classroom instruction. Ideal for those north of Nashville. Thursday and weekend classes. 10% discount for TGO members/spouses.

www.hgrfirearms.com

615.364.4359 Greg Knox is the owner, I teach with him.

Guest benchpresspower

2nd Ammendment Gun Shop in Springfield. Laid back, friendly, and only $50.

Word to the wise (forgive me should I step on any toes) avoid Gun City. $150 is just a rip off and the folks there IMHO are about as friendly as a hornet's nest.

• Administrator
2nd Ammendment Gun Shop in Springfield. Laid back, friendly, and only $50.

Word to the wise (forgive me should I step on any toes) avoid Gun City. $150 is just a rip off and the folks there IMHO are about as friendly as a hornet's nest.

I know of one person who took their HCP class there and subsequently had their permit revoked by the State because the class and course of fire cut corners. This person had to take the class over again elsewhere and pay all associated fees (again). Reportedly this happened to a few people who took their class.

I'd avoid them like the plague and don't mind saying so or stepping on any toes in the process.

I know of one person who took their HCP class there and subsequently had their permit revoked by the State because the class and course of fire cut corners. This person had to take the class over again elsewhere and pay all associated fees (again). Reportedly this happened to a few people who took their class.

I'd avoid them like the plague and don't mind saying so or stepping on any toes in the process.

agree 100%...

Guest jcoyle6

anybody recommend ASP in Joelton? Everyone I know to have gone there including myself recommend their staff wholeheartedly.

{Cheers from Istanbul}

I don't think I would recommend a class that allows dry firing from 20-30 students at the instructor. Witnessed this first hand.:confused: