Funny, Sad and Unbelievable, 22LR Story

runco

Was just talking to my elderly father about something he did this weekend. First, let me setup the story, he has always been one of those old farts that trades knives, buys junk at yard sales, and occasionally trades and sells them at the local flea markets. Him and his best friend from childhood, started last year target shooting 22LR rifles 2-3x times a week, they burn through 1/2 to full brick each week. On with the story, he at one time probably had 100 bricks of 22 ammo, a lifetime of buying ammo, various brands and ages. He has finally burned through the inventory, except about 10 bricks of ammo that he says doesn't group well, in any gun, so he doesn't shoot it. Some old Federal that he purchased at $4-$6 brick at Wynn’s in Sevierville 1970s or 1980s. He had this idea about letting that junk ammo go at a local auction house, one of those every Saturday night auctions. He just told me, he did that auction thing, and each brick brought $65 a brick, +10% premium, +9.75% sales tax, so that is $78 a brick of 20-30 year old ammo. He said that one man basically bought it all, and they were in different lots.

This is funny, sad and unbelievable. Auctions do get carried away, especially for guns, but who would have thought that about ammo! I have a large inventory of 22LR ammo, don't want to sell it, but at $65 brick. I do have to do some soul searching. Guns are one thing, but 22LR ammo? I for one, 100% believe 22LR ammo will return to normal someday, so why not cash out and restock at a later time.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

NOT ME, ya think it will get back to normal, what if it dont.

Yes, I think it will get back to normal... as soon as the "panics" reach their limit.

I believe by squirrel season the prices will be near normal. But, I would keep a couple of bricks

for hunting to be sure.

I've got just shy of 6k myself and have certainly thought about cashing in on the madness. Then I think, before I do that I'd rather give it away to someone who actually has none and will use it. Then I think, I'd rather just shoot it. Then I think, I'll just go ahead and hang onto it a bit longer, just in case. Maybe it's a bit foolish but personaly I'm refusing to take any part whatsoever in the current situation. No selling, no buying, unless its at pre panic pricing I'm not interested. I've said it a few times and don't mind saying again, I've had better luck with company's who "don't care about the 2nd amendment and who are only out for the largest profits" than I have with "local gun shops who care about our rights and have a stake in the game". The only exceptions so far have been a few of our vendors here who are not participating in any kind of bullsh$&. I've found a lengthy list of people who will not see a red cent from me again.

Though I don't like the idea of gouging people your father did not gouge anyone.  He took something that he had no use for and sold it, nothing wrong with that.  The price was commanded by the buyer, not the seller.  I too believe that .22LR will return to normal after the panic buying subsides and the manufacturers have time to catch back up. 

I've got just shy of 6k myself and have certainly thought about cashing in on the madness. Then I think, before I do that I'd rather give it away to someone who actually has none and will use it. Then I think, I'd rather just shoot it. Then I think, I'll just go ahead and hang onto it a bit longer, just in case. Maybe it's a bit foolish but personaly I'm refusing to take any part whatsoever in the current situation. No selling, no buying, unless its at pre panic pricing I'm not interested. I've said it a few times and don't mind saying again, I've had better luck with company's who "don't care about the 2nd amendment and who are only out for the largest profits" than I have with "local gun shops who care about our rights and have a stake in the game". The only exceptions so far have been a few of our vendors here who are not participating in any kind of bullsh$&. I've found a lengthy list of people who will not see a red cent from me again.

If you were willing to gamble a little and willing to wait until June/July you could double or triple the amount of .22 LR you had.   Eventually people will reach a point where they can only hoard so much and once we reach that point you will see it back in stores and online.  That will probably happen by June or July so if you sold off 5-10k 22lr you could probably turn it into 15-20k when it's back in stock everywhere.