Optimum load - 9mm - 4.25" barrel

Guest flyawayfalcon

Guest flyawayfalcon

I have a Smith and Wesson, M&P 9mm, full size (4.25 inch barrel .... it's a sweet shooter), Novak competition sights. I tend toward a 115 grain slug. CCI Small pistol magnum primers, and Hogdon Tite-Group  powder. Does anyone have a favorite load that won't over power the weapon?  I want the best accuracy, not the most power.

Edited by flyawayfalcon
Guest Fruit jar

How much titegroup are you using?

I'm using 4.gr. bullseye, 124 gr. lrn, wolf sp or spm primers works fine for me.

Edited by Fruit jar

It often varies from gun to gun. You'll need to work up a load that suits yourself. I would start with the minimum load listed in your manual. Load a few there, a few more with an extra 1/10th grain of powder, a few with an additional 2/10ths, and so on. Shoot them and see what does best.

My best advice would be to read the web on how to make competition ammo for bullseye.  There are tips and tricks galore if you read up. 

No one can tell you what is best for your pistol.  Even 2 of the same type will be different, though someone may get you closer if they have the same model.

All I will say on it is to be flexible and open your mind.   It could be that a 90 grain bullet is the best in your pistol.  Or a 140.  Or anything else.  It could be that brand X powder is a better choice than brand Y with your equipment.   It could be that you need a load so light you need to put in a light recoil spring, or so hot you put in a heavy spring --- the best load is what it is and if a $10 spring lets you make a 1/2 inch group at 50 yards, you buy the spring.  

Also, consider this: powder is measured.  Well, that was profound, was it not?  But all measurements are subject to error.   If your scale is accurate to 0.1 grains, then you cannot mess with 0.05 grain increments to try to tweak a load.   If your powder is measured by volume, airspace in flaky powders can vary some amount, and so on.   The hotter the powder, the more errors hurt you.  If your load is 3 grains of hot powder, vs 5 grains of slow powder, the .1 error from that scale will produce a tighter group int the 5 grain powder because 5 vs 5.1 is a smaller error than 3 vs 3.1 --- the .1 is a bigger % of the total, you see?

For high accuracy, everything has to be done precisely.  If you have your powder load down to the 0.001 grain but your OAL is all over the place, your ammo will still suck.  If you use bubbas bulk bullits that vary 5 grains from the lowest to the highest, your ammo will suffer.  If you weigh each bullet, and only load the ones that weigh exactly X for your precision ammo, it will do better.   If you crimp randomly, the ammo will perform randomly.  Etc.

Good luck with it.  It is very rewarding but very frustrating and time consuming at the same time.

Like the Head Shrinkers say "How does that make your gun feel". What works great in my gun might be crap in yours. You really have to test to find out. There are standard loads that tend to work well but you might have to bump up or down the powder charge and mess with your OAL to get it perfect. 

Just to get a feel for your question, what does optimum load mean to you.  Is it the most accurate, cleanest shooting, hardest hitting, or most economical?  Of the four choices I enumerated, you usually only get two.

I have an M&P9 that I load for.  My "optimum" load is 4.5 grs. HP-38 under a 124 cast TC bullet.  It is more accurate than I can hold it, provides enough pressure to obturate that base of the bullet, makes the slide cycle reliably and dumps empty cases about three feet away from my right foot.  At that level of pressure and velocity, brand of primers and cases is immaterial.

I have not chronographed the load, but it's at the low end of the published data.  If I were going to use the gun for self defense,  my "optimum" load would be Federal 3 inch #4 buckshot(41 .25 pellets).  I know, that's not a 9mm load, but that's just me.

• Like 1