Gander Mountain Discharge.......Sort of

cardia10

I hope I'm not the only person on this board to witness this today. It was about 1:52 today in the ammo aisle at Gander Mountain in Knoxville. I was looking for the non existent 9mm ammo and 1 aisle over, I head a bang! I immediately ducked because I thought someone had a loaded gun. Turns out, a guy dropped a box of .22 and one blew up. He said he was hit in the head with a little shrapnel, but no blood. There were probably 20 people in the area and everyone immediately stopped and just stared blankly, including the employees. It kind of surprised me that the employees seemed to not react. After about 2 minutes, a few employees approached, but just didn't react like I would have expected, not that I would know what to expect. I guess I would expect a faster response and concern, but for the most part, if was just "you good, you good, ok then." 

That was enough excitement for me, so I, with the rest of the gawkers meandered off. No wonder they don't allow loaded guns in, people can't even handle the ammo responsibly. 

Edited by cardia10

I'm almost positive it was 22 bird shot. It was something weird. No, they had zero regular 22lr. Had loads of everything but cheap 9mm and .223. Had tons of .45, .40, and many others. It looked like the tags where the 9mm should have been was exactly double that of Wal Mart on cheap target stuff.

Edited by cardia10

They had .22 where people could handle it? Most sporting goods and gun shops have all ammo, except for shotgun ammo behind the counter.

none of their ammo is out of reach....

That is crazy though I was in there this afternoon with my little ones, would've freaked me out for sure.

none of their ammo is out of reach....

That is crazy though I was in there this afternoon with my little ones, would've freaked me out for sure.

I think everyone was freaked. It was surreal and very quiet! Everyone just stopped and stared. I was just sure someone was being stupid with their handgun. I was really surprised people didn't run when the bang went off.

Wow, never before this ever heard of a bullet going off by being dropped that I believed before this.

Now I need to look at and revisit the story from a few weeks ago, although I think they tried to claim that one a few weeks got shot instead of just exploding which make is instant subject to disbelief. 

Sounds like it might have been a pack of those CCI bird or rat shot.  I have been able to find those but dang they are 2 expensive.  I like to have a few around but I don't take them out just to shoot by any means.

They had .22 where people could handle it? Most sporting goods and gun shops have all ammo, except for shotgun ammo behind the counter.

Best I can remember Academy Sports and Bass Pro may have their ammo out on the shelves as well.

Interesting. There was a very similar story of this happening somewhere around the Middle Tennessee area a few weeks ago.

Except this story sounds like the legit version, hit with shrapnel no blood. The other one penetrated his leg or something didn't it?

Except this story sounds like the legit version, hit with shrapnel no blood. The other one penetrated his leg or something didn't it?

Even when I say shrapnel, that seems too strong, he said it felt like a bb bounced off a shelf and hit him. He didn't even act like it hurt, but everyone was checking for blood, but there was none. Surely I wasn't the only one there! The place was packed!