Need some ak optics advise by my fellow ak47 brothers

mr.ak47

Hey guys,

Okay so this weekend I picked up my 9th ak variant and to some peoples surprise,I've never mounted optics on an ak. I've always been a "traditionalist" in that respect I guess. I've been able to do some great grouping at 100 yards and knock down 6 inch plates at 300 so never really had the drive to put optics on one. Well This weekend I picked up a very beautiful Aresenal 101s and decided I would try out the red dot/holograpic optic world with it. I'm in the slow process of building a tac course here at the house and eventually want to test my timing,target acquisition,etc with optics and without. I've been looking at the Krebs handguard set and the ultimax m1-b I was wondering if anyone had experience with either or both and which one would you choose. Optics wise I've been looking at the aimpoint h1 on the highend or going the cheaper route with a primary arms copy or the bushnell trs-25. I also have a couple 512's here at the house that are currently sitting.I debated on those but have heard a lot of mixed things about mounting one on an ak. Any input would be greatly apperciated.

I REALLY like the TWS Dogleg. I've run them on several different guns and helped other guys put them on theirs and they all love them. Plus with the peep sight you get a longer sight radius than an AR and a proper ckeek weld. The Top cover is removable and repeats zero. Not a fan of the Parabellum mount. heard bad things on those. The only other viable option is the ultimak. The Ultimak is the lowest out there but it puts all the eight out front. People who have them love them.

http://texasweaponsystems.com/

Here's my Draco with the TWS and a Vortex Sparc (similar to the T1)

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Okay so this weekend I picked up my 9th ak variant and to some peoples surprise,I've never mounted optics on an ak. I've always been a "traditionalist" in that respect I guess. I've been able to do some great grouping at 100 yards and knock down 6 inch plates at 300 so never really had the drive to put optics on one. Well This weekend I picked up a very beautiful Aresenal 101s and decided I would try out the red dot/holograpic optic world with it. I'm in the slow process of building a tac course here at the house and eventually want to test my timing,target acquisition,etc with optics and without. I've been looking at the Krebs handguard set and the ultimax m1-b I was wondering if anyone had experience with either or both and which one would you choose. Optics wise I've been looking at the aimpoint h1 on the highend or going the cheaper route with a primary arms copy or the bushnell trs-25. I also have a couple 512's here at the house that are currently sitting.I debated on those but have heard a lot of mixed things about mounting one on an ak. Any input would be greatly apperciated.

I am indeed surprised! 

Well given that its a draco wouldn't expect you to be doing much long range shots with it but what kind of grouping are you seeing at 25 to 50? I've debated on the over the dust cover mounts as well. How quickly could you detach the optics if battery went dead,to use the irons? Just let me know I'm interested may have to do some research on them

I REALLY like the TWS Dogleg. I've run them on several different guns and helped other guys put them on theirs and they all love them. Plus with the peep sight you get a longer sight radius than an AR and a proper ckeek weld. The Top cover is removable and repeats zero. Not a fan of the Parabellum mount. heard bad things on those. The only other viable option is the ultimak. The Ultimak is the lowest out there but it puts all the eight out front. People who have them love them.

http://texasweaponsystems.com/

Here's my Draco with the TWS and a Vortex Sparc (similar to the T1)

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Stay a traditionalist. Your iron sights will never fail you and you sound to already be a good shot.

I've highly debated on it brother,but want to at least try it out before I completely write it off.Only reason I'm now considering it is because a vast majority of the time,I'm out in about even though I carry,I still have a rifle with me,so IF my test lead me to believe I can acquire a sight picture quicker then with my irons,I'll have a rig dedicated to optics and as my "tag along rifle",so to speak,but I'll never quit training with irons lol I'll just have to train with both if it proves itself 

Well given that its a draco wouldn't expect you to be doing much long range shots with it but what kind of grouping are you seeing at 25 to 50? I've debated on the over the dust cover mounts as well. How quickly could you detach the optics if battery went dead,to use the irons? Just let me know I'm interested may have to do some research on them

With a t1 you can get a lower 1/3 co-witness with the tws. ;) i added an adm qd to my sparc so i can get it of pretty easily.
As far as accuracy, the shorter barrel actually stiffens up more than a longer barrel so accuracy is better at all ranges for me. At 50 to 75yrds i can easily run through clay pigeons with decent speed. I'm not a great shoot so this was a very pleasant surprise for me.
I'll add that what makes the TWS so great is that it fixes two of three biggest flaws of the AK compared to other rifles. 1- sight radius and 2- cheek weld. I've tried all the other options and i can't reiterate how much better i like these.

A big +1 from me on the TWS Dogleg 2. . .I run one on my Polytech sidefolder and I cant verbalize how happy I am with it. I like Smith am using a Vortex SPARC on an American Defense Low T1 Micro Mount ADT1L . . link to Primary Arms where I purchased. Quick detach throw lever and sight holds zero removing and reinstalling to rail and and holds zero raising and lowering the rail for cleaning. The rail is a little hard to install. . you may have to take some of the bend out of the sight leaf spring but make sure you do use the spring with the mount (the reason I say that is Sturmgewehr on MAC reveiwed this and didnt put the spring in and it was not as repeatable). Also I love the rear peep but I did step drill mine out a little as I found it didnt let enough light in at night to find the front sight (even using a meprolight tritium front sight like I do).

Off topic. . if you are considering any muzzle device. . I put a Primary Weapons Systems FSC 47 flash suppressing compensator and it is UNBELIEVABLE. . the rifle just lays there under sustained fire and flash is substantially reduced to the shooter. Crappy phone pic enclosed below.

2013-02-12_10-24-30_280.jpg

Edited by turkeydad

A big +1 from me on the TWS Dogleg 2. . .I run one on my Polytech sidefolder and I cant verbalize how happy I am with it. I like Smith am using a Vortex SPARC on an American Defense Low T1 Micro Mount ADT1L . . link to Primary Arms where I purchased. Quick detach throw lever and sight holds zero removing and reinstalling to rail and and holds zero raising and lowering the rail for cleaning. The rail is a little hard to install. . you may have to take some of the bend out of the sight leaf spring but make sure you do use the spring with the mount (the reason I say that is Sturmgewehr on MAC reveiwed this and didnt put the spring in and it was not as repeatable). Also I love the rear peep but I did step drill mine out a little as I found it didnt let enough light in at night to find the front sight (even using a meprolight tritium front sight like I do).

Off topic. . if you are considering any muzzle device. . I put a Primary Weapons Systems FSC 47 flash suppressing compensator and it is UNBELIEVABLE. . the rifle just lays there under sustained fire and flash is substantially reduced to the shooter. Crappy phone pic enclosed below.

Well looks like i'm going to have to check out the dogleg then, I've also seen some of the similar style to the dogleg,kreb,midwest and a few others.Do ya'll have any experience with those? As far as muzzle devices I'm actually in the process of designing and making my own flash suppressor, Along with my own brand of ak's. Still in the license process though for my 07 and all the crap that goes along with it. So right now it's just a design plan and a base of where I wanted to start,Austin got to check out the start of the project. Still a long way to go though.Basically going to try and fix the things on the ak variants that I see most people complain about,Right now i have successfully reduced recoil considerably,and arguably less then felt recoil of a standard ar15,but still a long way to go and now i'm off topic lol. 

The Krebs is nice but sits considerably higher and cost a lot. The Parabellum tends to have zero issues if you put an optic larger than the Vortex/T1. Anything else that looks similar isn't in the same ballpark when it comes to repeatable zero, proper check weld, and ease of fields stripping.

I'm planning to get one of the Primary Arms red dots that will co-witness on an ultimak. Did have a 4x handgun scope on mine for a while just to see how the ak would group. Decided it was a waste of time. Some of it could have been the cheap steel case ammo.

On my Saiga I have used a Busnell TRS-25 and a 5th Gen Side Mount with a weaver rail on top for aa long time with no issues.

Total package was around 130.00 and it works great. Flip a locking lever and it comes right off.

Edited by R1100R