ANY CAR SALESMEN HERE, i NEED HELP

Guest I_AM_WOOD

Guest I_AM_WOOD

looking for a little inside info on a couple of car prices. dealer says they are at bottom offer but still seems off. help if you can pm me. thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2
If this is a new car you can always go to edmunds.com.

Yeah.. but the guy wants to talk to a salesman that is a member of this site..

I don’t know anything about prices anymore, but I bet this still works….

If you have a price in mind make a firm offer and tell them you will drive the car home. If they let you leave your offer is too low. :D

I don’t know anything about prices anymore, but I bet this still works….

If you have a price in mind make a firm offer and tell them you will drive the car home. If they let you leave your offer is too low. :D

but in three days they will call you back.

Guest Engloid

I went and helped my sister negotiate price of a truck once. Salesmen love to hear a commitment such as "I will buy the car right now, if..." They don't want to hear about you shopping around for a couple more weeks, because if they tell you $10,000 is the best they can do, you will go to the next lot that will tell you $9,999 and beat out the first guy. In other words, they don't want to be the first place you shop, they want to be the last.

So, I went in to this dealership and told the salesman not to TO (turnover) the deal to anybody else. Heck, I don't want him to lose half his commission, when he's going to have little to do with the deal anyway. We went in the office and of course they like to do a "deal sheet." I told him I wanted to speak to the sales manager. He came in and I made it really simple:

"I'll tell you exactly what you can do to sell this truck right now. Take me out to your computer, and show me what you have in the truck. We'll add on $800 and that's the cost, out the door."

The truck was bought for that cost. You have to remember that they have to make a profit. Rather than negotiate from the MSRP and try to come down, start at the bottom and let them negotiate it up. Do remember that in many cases, the invoice is a bit deceiving. For example, if the invoice price is $20,000...they may be able to make a profit by selling for that, because the manufacturer may be offering $2,000 discount on future purchases, or even cash back to the dealer, for sales made that month, or that model of car.

I work for a auction. The market is spotty right now. Full sized trucks and large SV can be had for s song right now. Small cars are out of the book. New vehicles are the same everywhere. Every used vehicle is different. Most dealers in the south use Black Book or MMR to gage wholesale. But even this is not correct for the last two months. Depends on what you want and if you are trading. All big stores add a PAC to the car. This is the amount the dealer adds to the invoice price of the car that covers operation of the place. Looking at a computer will not show true invoice. The invoice is on paper from the manufacturer or purchase price from auction/wholesaler. For example a 08 Civic DX has only 700-1000 mark up. There is no discount. Toyota Priusis 2-4 thousand above MSRP. The Toyota at auction is bringing more than it sold new. A diesel truck that the book shows 38k used is bringing 20K. It is best to buya truck or SUV one to two years old for nothing if you need one.Between Magiccarpetrides and myself I think we might be able to help. Drop me a e-mail.

Edited by R1100R
Guest db99wj

Good to know there are some people in the know around here. I will be in the market over the next 12-18 months I suspect and will need some help then. I will not shop, I know what I want or at least down to 2, and the specifics that I have to have.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I don't haggle at all. When I find something I like, I offer what I'm willing to pay and it's either accepted or I'm moving on. No need to waste each others time.

I have dealt with enough a**hole car salesmen, and they have totally ruined it for the good ones out there.

I guess I'm a weirdo... I love car shopping. (I'm a salesman of sorts myself) I especially enjoy testing the salesman's knowledge of his product.

I just did lots of research, decided on a few models and a narrow price range and then got to hunting. After about 10 days I found my car at the right price and am happy with it.

Guest db99wj
I guess I'm a weirdo... I love car shopping. (I'm a salesman of sorts myself) I especially enjoy testing the salesman's knowledge of his product.

I just did lots of research, decided on a few models and a narrow price range and then got to hunting. After about 10 days I found my car at the right price and am happy with it.

I use to do that, but it was kinda like shooting ducks in a barrel, no sport in it! I'm a Jeep guy and have gone in and just shook my head on some of the crap the salesman is spewing. If it is used, not their line of cars, they can have a little slack, but at a new car lot, it is their line, they need to know just about everything, imo.

When I have bought cars in the past, I have don't a ton of research on the possiblities. Usually this is done for my wife, because she shops. I know exactly what I want. I'm not planning on buying for another 12 months, but I already know that it will between 2 models and I know exactly which options it must have.

You're a tech, and you're bragging about Hybrids?

Ever work on a Prius or a Camry Hybrid under warranty? Or, really, at all?

Every last drop of my eperience with Hybrids while wrenching on Toyotas has convinced me that I'll never own one. Ever. A 1ZZ-FE 4-cylinder Corolla

gets 35-40 MPG, and will not cost mega-thousands to keep it's hybrid battery, inverter, electric motor, and so forth in good repair. Most owners are woefully ignorant of the additional complexity of the vehicle. For instance, it's got two separate cooling systems (radiator, fan, radiator cap & resivoir, etc) to increase the likelyhood it'll require repair after a couple hundred thousand miles.

If you're the type that buys a car for a couple of years and then trades it in, or the guy who leases one every 24 months, then go right ahead. But I drive mine until they die, and have no intention of jumping on the hybrid bandwagon. I refuse to own something I absolutely hate to fix.

Guest db99wj

Every last drop of my eperience with Hybrids while wrenching on Toyotas has convinced me that I'll never own one. Ever. A 1ZZ-FE 4-cylinder Corolla

gets 35-40 MPG, and will not cost mega-thousands to keep it's hybrid battery, inverter, electric motor, and so forth in good repair. Most owners are woefully ignorant of the additional complexity of the vehicle. For instance, it's got two separate cooling systems (radiator, fan, radiator cap & resivoir, etc) to increase the likelyhood it'll require repair after a couple hundred thousand miles. But whatever I decide, I will drive it into the dirt! By the time I get rid of my current Jeep it will be 10 plus years and I bet the ticker will have another 15K to 20K miles on it.

If you're the type that buys a car for a couple of years and then trades it in, or the guy who leases one every 24 months, then go right ahead. But I drive mine until they die, and have no intention of jumping on the hybrid bandwagon. I refuse to own something I absolutely hate to fix.

I will not own a hybrid because the story above is not the first time I have heard this. My 1999 Jeep is still going, the 4.7 liter V8, 4X4 gets 14mpg in the city and not much better on the highway. I have 117000 miles one it. I will probably buy a new one in the next year or so and the two have it narrowed it down to is a Jeep Commander 4X4, with no less then a 4.7L V8 but I would prefer to have a 5.7L V8 version or a Jeep Wrangler (4door) 4X4. I have 4 kids and the Wrangler doesn't have enough room, but I have found a aftermarket 3rd seat option, approved by the CA DOT, that I can get so that I can get all the family in it.

Edited by db99wj

gets 35-40 MPG, and will not cost mega-thousands to keep it's hybrid battery, inverter, electric motor, and so forth in good repair. Most owners are woefully ignorant of the additional complexity of the vehicle. For instance, it's got two separate cooling systems (radiator, fan, radiator cap & resivoir, etc) to increase the likelyhood it'll require repair after a couple hundred thousand miles.

But how are the transmissions? :confused: