Homeland Security Creates "Constitution-Free" Zones

I read about this one a few days ago.  Apparently there is already a case out of New York being taken up by the ACLU to challenge this nonsense.  I can understand checking things at the ports to make sure people aren't bringing in anything such as drugs, explosives and weaponry, but I fail to see how they could justify warrantless and suspicionless searches of data systems such as computers and phones under the guise of "national security".  What could possibly be on those devices that couldn't have simply been sent digitally?  It's not as if encryption technology isn't available to everyone... it's all open source and free to download.  What terrorist would smuggle sensitive data through our ports when he can send it in an email?  This is stupid and needs to stop.  Good to know that some mouth breathing customs security guard has access to see my personal information, to include my finances, intimate photos of my wife, and anything else they shouldn't have access to without a judge telling them they can. 

Next they will say that up to 100 miles from an international airport is also considered the boarder. When that happens there will be a lot of areas that are under these zones.

Dolomite

With a precedent like this I don't see why not. Why 100 miles anyway? Why not 50 or 200? If we're going to have a bureaucracy arbitrarily determine where you can or can't have constitutional rights, why not just go all the way?

With a precedent like this I don't see why not. Why 100 miles anyway? Why not 50 or 200? If we're going to have a bureaucracy arbitrarily determine where you can or can't have constitutional rights, why not just go all the way?

Because even the dimmest bulbs can see it happen when it happens all at once. But apparently even "the brightest" among us can't detect it when it only happens in increments. Makes you kind of wonder what some consider bright, doesn't it?

• Like 1