Anyone shoot mid or long range competitions?

I had a friend visit last weekend so he could shoot a 600 and 1000yd club match at Arnold Air Force Base and he was nice enough to bring his Savage .308 he had used in F/TR for the past couple years.  Even though the temperature never topped 30*, it was a ton of fun and something I'd really like to get into more.

I don't really see any discussion of long range target shooting on here.  Does anyone do it?  What's the longest range close to Franklin?

Owl Hollow is close, 100 yrds.

I wish I had time and money to shoot long range.

I have a FNAR in .308, an A-bolt in 7 mm REM Mag, and  Saiga in .308

that I would like to use, alas, money and time is short.

I run these matches at AEDC. Everything you need to know is right here:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3797681.0

It's too much of a pain posting everything on 10 different websites so I put everything all on the Accurate Shooter website. We also have an e-mail distribution list. If you want to get on it, send me an e-mail: jimsoko3853 [at] gmail [dot] com

I started a thread on TGO too:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56326-2013-aedc-high-power-competition-master-schedule-tullahoma-tn/

Morpheus has excellent advice in his thread as far as what to do and what to start off with. I shot my first match down there last spring and started out pretty bare bones equipment wise, and have since just added here and there where possible. It was a little humbling walking up the firing line the first time and seeing the targets so far away but his crew is EXCELLENT and as nice as they can be. I shoot IDPA and 3 Gun and I think I enjoy the long range the best. I have no premonitions of winning against some of these guys, merely to just be in the thick of things. I honestly enjoy going and talking and learning almost as much as the shooting. The wealth of knowledge walking around is awesome. Very friendly and laid back atmosphere. 

I had a friend visit last weekend so he could shoot a 600 and 1000yd club match at Arnold Air Force Base and he was nice enough to bring his Savage .308 he had used in F/TR for the past couple years.  Even though the temperature never topped 30*, it was a ton of fun and something I'd really like to get into more.

I don't really see any discussion of long range target shooting on here.  Does anyone do it?  What's the longest range close to Franklin?

Was he from MI? If so, I met him.

My 14 year old son shot his 1st 1,000 yard match at that event. Had a rough start but once he got sighted, he got all 20 on target last 2 relays. Had some 9's, 10's and X, he shot a best of 162 1-x. Now that he feels more comfortable, we are going to do another one.

Very fun! Wish I got to do that when I was 14. 

Collin_at_1000.jpg

Edited by Tempest455
  • Like 1

I run these matches at AEDC. Everything you need to know is right here:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3797681.0

It's too much of a pain posting everything on 10 different websites so I put everything all on the Accurate Shooter website. We also have an e-mail distribution list. If you want to get on it, send me an e-mail: jimsoko3853 [at] gmail [dot] com

I started a thread on TGO too:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56326-2013-aedc-high-power-competition-master-schedule-tullahoma-tn/

Were you there running the match on Saturday the 16th?  If so, we met.  I was with Jake from Michigan who shot Palma both days.  I shot his old Savage .308 and had a great time, but couldn't make it on Sunday.  I'm really hoping to put together a kit of what I need so I can start attending matches with my own equipment!

Was he from MI? If so, I met him.

My 14 year old son shot his 1st 1,000 yard match at that event. Had a rough start but once he got sighted, he got all 20 on target last 2 relays. Had some 9's, 10's and X, he shot a best of 162 1-x. Now that he feels more comfortable, we are going to do another one.

Very fun! Wish I got to do that when I was 14. 

Yup, he was!  Shooting a blue AR-10-type 6.5 Creedmore custom deal.  I was there on Saturday, but spent Sunday with food poisoning...but way worse was knowing that I had all the equipment and ammo sitting in the next room over, if only I could drag my a** out of bed and get to the range!  Oh well...

Sounds like your son had a great day!  1000yds is no joke - I had plenty of trouble gauging conditions on only 600!  Managed to shoot a great set of 10, but followed it up with a mediocre next 10 because the wind was changing more quickly and sprinking in some snow.

Were you there running the match on Saturday the 16th?  If so, we met.  I was with Jake from Michigan who shot Palma both days.  I shot his old Savage .308 and had a great time, but couldn't make it on Sunday.  I'm really hoping to put together a kit of what I need so I can start attending matches with my own equipment!

I was not there on the 16th, only on Sunday the 17th.

Morpheus has excellent advice in his thread as far as what to do and what to start off with. I shot my first match down there last spring and started out pretty bare bones equipment wise, and have since just added here and there where possible. It was a little humbling walking up the firing line the first time and seeing the targets so far away but his crew is EXCELLENT and as nice as they can be. I shoot IDPA and 3 Gun and I think I enjoy the long range the best. I have no premonitions of winning against some of these guys, merely to just be in the thick of things. I honestly enjoy going and talking and learning almost as much as the shooting. The wealth of knowledge walking around is awesome. Very friendly and laid back atmosphere. 

Bolded this...it's the absolute truth!  I got paired up with a great guy named Brian who helped me a ton with learning to pull targets well.  Ended up employing an Australian guy who just came to watch as my scorer, since the relays were a bit unbalanced...it was really cool of him to pitch in and help even though he wasn't a part of the match!

Bolded this...it's the absolute truth!  I got paired up with a great guy named Brian who helped me a ton with learning to pull targets well.  Ended up employing an Australian guy who just came to watch as my scorer, since the relays were a bit unbalanced...it was really cool of him to pitch in and help even though he wasn't a part of the match!

Ditto on that. The guy they paired us up with was great. Very helpful and a pleasure to shoot with.