I must have the most corrosive sweat on the planet.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Seriously, I have like an iron oxide version of the Midas touch. But I'm well aware of the corrosivity of my sweat, and so I try to account for it. Every night when I get home from work, I take a look at my carry gun (XD) and usually give it a wipe-down followed by a thin coat of CLP. If I see any areas trying to discolor, I hit them up with one of those Birchwood Casey Quick Clean cloths. Takes it right off.

So, I think I might have neglected to undertake this ritual Friday night. Didn't go out at all yesterday. Today I went up to Cleveland to shoot. Get to the range, unholster the XD so I can shoot it... and there's damn surface rust on the rear of the slide, even a little on the rear sight.

:up:

Maybe I'll just have to resign myself to wearing an undershirt when I carry this thing, so it's at least marginally separated from my skin. But hell, my holster has a piece of leather that sits between the pistol and my side...

For now, I assaulted the thing with that BC cloth, then proceeded to hang it from a piece of wire and hose it down with Break Free. Guess I'll need to really be sure to stay on top of the rust issue...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY
I take it you don't have the melonite version. In that case send it to SA and they will put their Armory Kote on it under warranty. Then it won't matter how toxic your sweat is.

Do they require any documentation of ownership or anything like that? I'm not the original owner...

...or you could just sell it and get a Glock! :up:

:death:

Get thee behind me, Satan!

And by the way, this isn't the first time I've seen the effects of my hydrochloric sweat. I've been seeing the effects on my guitar strings for years. If I don't wipe the strings down EVERY TIME I play, they'll be rough and cruddy the next time I pick it up. Without exception.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Well, I might just do that then... probably wait until I get another pistol I can carry, though. I've been thinking anyway of picking up a pocket auto and making that my primary carry instead of the full-size XD. Not that I can't conceal the XD, but my work is slowly becoming more professional, and I expect that it might not be long before my work wardrobe goes beyond jeans and untucked t-shirts.

Plus, this XD is compensated, which is really subpar for a carry weapon. I'd like for it to just get moved into the role of "fun to shoot when I feel like spending forever cleaning the damn thing" gun. Been thinking of a (stainless) 1911 too. So maybe daily pocket carry, and the 1911 for weekends or other times when I can dress around it better.

Anyway, good info to know. Thanks!

I'm not sure if Springfield is doing free refinishing jobs for the older guns anymore. Last we had to send one back for that, which was last year, they said that they were going to stop doing it soon.

Awsome if they havent though, I like the new finish.

How does one know what finish is on an XD? I have had two and they both appeared to be the same finish,although my first was more acceptable to wearing.It might have just been my carrying techniques because I did change holsters quite a bit with the first one.

For one you can tell by looking. The Melonite finished slide is a glossy black while the normal slide has a grayish color to it. Other than that call and see. If you got one within the two? years it is Melonite.

The newer finish is more glossy, like a Glock or M&P. The old finish resembled parkerization.

If you have the case, it should have a date on it somewhere... if it's older than 2006, it's not melonite (unless it's been refinished already.)

I've had both finishes and had a problem with neither... probably has something to do with my habit of spraying a light coat of WD-40 on my guns before wiping them down. They don't rust, even though I rarely clean them, shoot them in the rain, and sweat all over them.

Not You. Just the salt in sweat. I have seen it for many years on private boats in

the Gulf Coast. A few Stainless Smiths,Marine Coat shotguns and (Nobody will belive

this)Glocks. All you can do is wipe down every day.