Hand To Hand Self Defense Training?

Guest MiniGunGal

OK guys – AWESOME POSTS!!!  Especially for a female not so well versed in the whole “hand to hand” deal.  I've learned MUCH from reading these posts, and I appreciate it!

I can’t always have my gun since I’m on a college campus most of the day.  So, I carry multiple knives and have them handy.  I’m not “officially” trained in hand to hand (need to take classes, yes), but I have a few skills acquired in a “forced” situation – a 500 lb ex who slapped me so hard he broke my nose.  And that was just the beginning.

He knew he had me as a captive audience because I was raising his two kids, and he threatened my life and that of my family if I tried to leave… real great guy.  Bottom line, I learned very quickly, from necessity, how to defend, and finally attack to survive.

1. When a 500 lb guy picks you up and throws you down, it’s hard to use weight and balance in defense when you’re an untrained 110 lb woman… so you figure out a way to defend from below.  Yes guys the groin is a vulnerable area.  Kicking, grabbing & twisting, and fingernails are all fair play if you’re on your back and being kicked, stomped, and punched by 500 lbs. 
    RED333 – NO RULES is RIGHT!!!

2. Next NO RULE – Use their tactics against them – One of his favorites was to spit in my face.  You should have seen the first time I decided to “grow my OWN set” and try it on him!  I just reared back and let one fly right in HIS face!  OMG!!!  HE STARTED SUCKING AIR LIKE A LAND LOCKED TUNA!!!!!  Talk about putting distance between yourself and your attacker!  That gave me enough time to get back on my feet and gain the advantage!

3. He would slap me, and when I tried to defend or punch back, he would block me – So, I learned how to strike quickly, decisively, and make it count.  Throat, solar plexus, nose, and ears, straight in and out – quick and fast – so he couldn't catch my hand and break my thumb as he had done before. 

When I was finally able to get out, he told me I hit harder than most MEN he knew.  Not something to really be proud of, but if it gets the job done – it gets the job done!

Besides, I can't grow a beard!!!   :surrender: 

MiniGunGal

As I have gotten older (now 63) my martial arts skills (3rd dan, Kenpo)  are not what they used to be. Thankfully a lifetime of training does have its benefits even now at this age. I am a great proponent of the martial arts and have found such training to be very effective in maintaining good situational awareness and avoiding most forms of trouble. 

Edited by polecat
  • Like 1
Guest RedLights&Sirens
I would like to seek some training but because of current heart health cant participate in anything too intensive. Im pretty strong when I am low to the ground but I dont know any moves or holds. Getting someone on the ground is what interests me most, my balance kind of sucks so I may not fair well in a standing fight.

I'm with Spots. Grow a beard, people leave you alone when they clearly see their girly little goatee has been outmatched by a full on grizzly Adams face and neck covering beard. 60% of the time, it works every time.

The mustache and goatie work just fine for me. It kinda seems stupid and trivial (IMHO) but people have been taking me more seriously with it. And the ladies seem to notice me a lot more too, which is always a bonus. If it wasnt for work, Id let the rest grow in a little for a scruffy messy look, that seems to help even more. Not much interest in having a full on beard, personaly.
Guest hifiguy

I hate to break it to you RedLights, but ground fighting is as much/if not more intense/strenuous than stand up. 

Granted, with lots of practice you can learn to relax while rolling, but it's still tough against someone with a little ground experience.

You may go talk to some training facilities close to you.  A good instructor should be willing to work around your current health issues.  Stance, footwork, and balance could all be improved without too much physical exertion.  Also he/she could introduce some simple combatives that you could work slowly and smoothly for the time being.  You could ramp up the intensity as your health improves.  Getting good at a couple of good strikes/elbows/knees/stomps is ultimately what you want to be effective anyway.  By working them slowly, with guidance, your form and ultimately effectiveness will be better.  Same goes for clinch work and ground work.

A good instructor should be able to come up with a solution to get you working if you are very clear on what you want and what you must avoid to protect your heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I was into Karate in my early 20's and studied for a few years.  Was pretty good.  I'm 60 now with degenerative discs (construction work) and several surgeries to legs, ankles etc later.....I might start out fighting but would be forced quickly (30 seconds at most?) to cutt'n and/or shoot'n. That's just the way I roll boys....

As far as I me, there is no such thing as "hand to hand".

I am gona use keys, fingers to eyes, kick to the balls, pull hair,

stick, rock, bite, and what ever I have close.

When it comes to that kind of "defense" NO RULES.

you got to catch me with out a gun for it to be hand to hand that hasnt happened in a long time

• Like 1