Need new gun for wife..

Guest silly34

Guest HexHead
My wife likes the J-frame also, she has a 642. She's also got a Charles Daly Hi Power clone that she can really shoot. I agree, get her trying out a lot of different guns. I'd have never guessed she'd like the Hi Power so much.

My wife loves my Hi Power and hates the Smith 442. Hates is too mild a word actually. She really likes the Para PDA 9mm, though she hasn't shot one yet. She also likes the Springfield EMP. She just needs to make the decision that she's actually going to carry. She's petite (you met her at East Side) and those two fit her hand the best.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest silly34

Ok took the wifey to the store (Sportsmans Warehouse). Tried all the stuff they had and she ultimately picked the Kahr PM9. Thanks all!

Guest Angel 24/7

I carry the Bersa 380. Xd bought it after I bought the Tauras. I have yet to carry it. I love the Bersa. I love to shoot my Tauras, just to big. I don't know where you live but, if you are coming to Owl Hollow on Saturday, I will let her try it?????????

It hasnt come up yet, so.....

my wife started out on a Taurus 38 5 shot revolver, liked the weight and size and grip, couldnt hit squat wuth it. so...

S&W 22a taught her to shoot with it then...

CZ2075 Rami double stack 9mm, bought 2 14rnd mags so I could shoot it too)grip way to short for my big hands, extended mags with finger rests did the trick.) Then...

Sig P6 that was beggin me to take it home, Slim grips, single stack, used, easu to work the slide, and accurate as the devil (even worked well with my blind eyes)

She likes em all, but carries the Sig (dammit), so I still use my Para .45

Ok took the wifey to the store (Sportsmans Warehouse). Tried all the stuff they had and she ultimately picked the Kahr PM9. Thanks all!

Great pistol, love mine.

Advice: get her to shoot the first 200 rounds through it soon; use both magazines.

It will probably eat about any 9mm ammo fine, but be sure to put at least both magazines worth of whatever she is going to carry in it through it; 2 mags each even better. Yeah, it kinda hurts to shoot $20-50 worth of whatever pricey hollow point ammo through it at range, but you want to insure that it eats the ammo of carry choice without fail.

Also, heed the Kahr instructions to chamber the first round from the magazine with slide stop. Especially for a lady who might not get a perfect grip/pull on the stiff slide, that IS important.

My PM9 has about 300 rounds so far, and I've run WWB, Remington UMC, Remington Express JHP, and (carry ammo) Federal HydraShok all fine.

I had ONE "failure to feed" in first 50 rounds or so, where slide didn't completely close, tapped it closed and continued on. Might have been a limp wrister, dunno. If she has more than one like this, make sure she's got firm leverage on the thing.

Don't know about her hand/finger strength, but not being a semi-auto guy in general, I found it difficult to load the shortish 9mm shells into the mags over and over for range work. I spent whopping 5 bucks or so on: http://magloader.com/

I'm sure I'll run at least another 200-300 through it with different ammos before I'm as comfy depending on it as I would a revolver. I've always been a wheelgun kinda guy, but once I decided to carry all the time, I couldn't resist the size/firepower combo of the Kahr.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
My wife is very petite so we are trying to find a gun that she can conceal somewhat. We started her with a Walther P22, it fit her hand the best and was easier to conceal. But I want her to have something a little bigger for stopping power. I have an XD 40 SC and love it, she has shot it several times but am worried it is a little too much for her as a regular carry. Any suggestions?

B.

Please take the wife to a range where they rent guns. Most are rather cheap to do so. let her hold a few and fire a few diffrent ones and even load the mags. This will be worth the time to invest in.

If you dont have a range local then make a day trip of it to one near you then take her out to dinner and a movie.

Guest Phantom6

The Bersa .380 Concealed Carry is a nice little pistol but my wife prefers the Taurus 851 shrouded hammer .38 cal. so she doesn't pull all manner of s#*t out of her purse or pocket. We sell quite a few of both at our shop. Take her shopping and let her pick something out that she likes.