Elevator Safety (Gun Free Zone)

soapy

I get into the hospital elevator and there is a lone woman in it.  She stood at the buttons and kept her back to me the whole time.  I made a not to myself to talk to my wife about that.

Like if she is alone and and someone, gets on with her, GET OFF! duh!

Later, we were leaving and the wife gets into the elevator, holds the door for me. I'm always behind her, using a walker.  When I approach the door there is a lone man standing in the 

back with both hands behind his back.  I hesitate, I almost said, Let me see your hands, come here honey, etc. but no..  I stepped in, protected the wifes back and put the walker between us

and the man.  I never took my eyes off his hands. I reached in my pockets and got the kbar last ditch knife in one hand, and the master lock attached to a bandanna in the other.

Thats when he got nervous and brought his hands slowly into view.   There stands the wife, her back to the controls oblivious to  the whole situation. We had a long talk on the way home.  We agreed on

a code word, to alert each other of possible danger.  Also, if I ask her if she has her phone, she knows to get her pepper spray ready, or if were packin, her gun.  Even though I constantly stay on her

about situational awareness,  I still catch her with her head somewhere else all the time.  She has been scared once, and had her gun in her hand, but for some reason, she still lets her guard down

at times.  I did get her to take the RAD class this year.

Hopefully we are little better prepared next time.  Nag, Nag, Nag.  

Anyone have any good tips they can share?

Damn dude, a bandana with a lock on it, going back to prison tactics here :rock:

I am just messing around though, I love the idea.  A guy at work makes those monkey fist things and made one with a cue ball in it with a long tail, its also metal detector friendly :up:   He does the same thing with solid foosballs.

I like the idea of a comm plan of some kind.  I have been making it a point to start discussing scenarios with my wife too.  I told her about how I am always scanning and analyzing possible threats and that was a new concept to her so hopefully she starts doing it too.  I explain to her what signs to look for and all that.

I need to start thinking about non-firearm defensive weapons for "gun free zones" for my wife and I.

Good story, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Soapy, good talk with the wife, good on you.

I have had that talk with my kids and wife, in one ear and out the other.

My son gets it, wife and daughter well, we keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the story.

• Like 1

I had to go to a hospital in Chi town last year.  I took my heavy wood cane with, and the lock and bandanna separate. I was allowed onboard with the cane, which surprised me, because the heavy knob on top is screwed on with a big wood screw, which taken apart, gives me a 2.5 inch push stab on a good grip, and they x-rayed it. ;)  Once on the plane I tied the bandanna to the lock. At the hotel, my wife scoffed a knife from the room kitchen for her purse. The hospital is on the "gold coast"  ie. you have to have a pocket full of gold, just to eat.  I was surprised at how friendly and helpful the people in that area were.  They had an air show while we were there, crowd was elbow to elbow, but no thugs or beggers, I rode my wheelchair, and kept all the important goods on me, figuring the place was   ripe for pickpockets    I was amazed at how many people roamed around late at night, shopping eating etc. But,  I wouldn't want to live there, much less be able to afford it..

HeHe,  prison tactics? never been there thank GOD,  thats from back in my bike ridin days.  I do like the idea of something to beat the metal detectors...  But untie that lock, no one ever puts it on the bandanna in their mind..  

Too  feeble for bikes nowdays, matter of fact today's my birthday, double nickels!!!  Never thought I would live to see that..

PS We have had a home plan in place for a long time, and we don't answer the door, unless we know someones coming over or calls from the drive.

that's like in my home.  We are never more than about 10 feet from a pistol or a shotgun.  NO one knows they are there.  Of course I am NEVER more than the thickness of my jeans from one.  If ya know what I mean.....I don't live far from a kinda bad area. Lots of dumpy rental property. 2 homes in my neighborhood has had a side or back door kicked on while they were away and stuff stolen. I have a 6 foot fence and a boxer in the backyard with the gate locked with the toughest lock I could find.  When we leave, guns go in the safe and right back out when we get home.  I don't even tell family members about the guns.  They'd think I was crazy anyway. Prepared....Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. :up:

The bad thing is that it usually takes a bad situation & scare the crap out of people before they start paying attention.

Not good when dealing with a spouse cause when they see it was a setup, it usually doesn't end well... Don't ask me how I know this

I guess it's a good thing, but my wife's situational awareness borders on the paranoid.  Stuff like always parking next to a buggy return or curb at the grocery so you always have access to one side of the vehicle, never parking next to a van (surprise adoption vehicle as she calls them) or large SUV, not walking directly to the vehicle when leaving, back to wall in elevators...hand(s) on whatever weapon(s) allowed - waiting for more than one to be on the 'vator, always scanning for danger - making eye contact....keys/spike/monkeyfist in hand, always aware of her blind spots.  She even has a little routine upon arriving back at home before entering.  It's almost like I'm married to a female Mel Gibson from Conspiracy Theory.   

Oh yeah...her motto is 'If ya gotta die, die at the first crime scene...second one's always worse.'

Edited by homeagain
  • Like 1

Oh yeah...her motto is 'If ya gotta die, die at the first crime scene...second one's always worse.'

Yep...she's got that right.  I remember a self defense show on tv.  The guy says gun, knife whatever kind of confrontation, yell FIRE!!!, run like hell if you can, or fight, but do NOT get into a car or leave with the criminal if at all possible. If you do what they say, you will die at the next location they take you too. He called the second location the Killing Field.  Pretty good show too. Of course all of this is depending on location, but  I remember statistics show that if you turn and just run, they don't expect it at all.  Most won't shoot especially in a city, mall parking lot or other populated area. They don't want the attention.  If they DO shoot, it was like  a 50 - 50 chance of getting hit.  If you get hit, it was again 50 - 50 chance that you would die which increases your odds of survival to 75%.  If you get in the car?  100% chance you are dead.

neighbor learned his lesson

Got a real good neighbor, I helped him record a gospel R&B record (We recored most of it in my bedroom studio, mixed it best we could and sent if off to get it mastered.) He owns a rental house in the Boro. Few weeks ago, He got a call that there was a guy dealing dope in front of that house.  So he goes down, sits and watches, and sure enough, every 20 min or so he hops up from the curb, and makes a sale.  His stash is in my friends watermeter.  Instead of calling the popo, he walks up to the guy.  tried to be nice and reason with him.

He says, I know what your doing, you know, I don't care how you get your money etc.  kids live here, blah blah.  The guy pulls a pistol on him and says who the F u think you are, you don't own this street.  He said he managed to mumble, well thats my watermeter.  Now my bro, hes got a black belt and pretty hard.  He bluffed.  I got a gun too, wat you want to do shoot it out here on the street.?   After a few more words, the guy backed down, got his stash and left.  My friend said he had never been so scared in his life. Now he is waiting on his HCP permit.  I been trying to get him to for awhile.  When I asked him why he handled it that way,  he said he thought he could talk to him brother to brother. He also said he knew people where watching and did not think it would be a big deal.  He also owns a couple of business, and if anybody needs to be armed, hes one.

I told him to stick his head out of the church house once in a while, quit being so easy going and liberal, and just because your black, don't be afraid to call the cops.  Every time we talked guns, he would always say, well but I'm black and if I have to shoot someone I'm going to jail, right or wrong. I know racism exist, but I would like to believe a man of any race, religion would get fair treatment.  Then again, theres that mess in FLA.  Myself, on a good day, I'm not that brave or stupid...

I know this has nothing to do with elevators, but hey its my birthday.. Thanks for the support.

If you have a min. here is a tune from the album that got some radio play time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omA10Hmlaig

Edited by soapy

I try to be humble, but... this is  my nephew.  the video don't match, this is the second take..  shrugs..

we only had an hour, for what its worth.

Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Joshua 1:9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jVKp9YrRYg