8. Georgia, 28.2

9. Oklahoma, 28.1

10. Texas, 28.1

** These are the 10 states with the highest levels of adult

obesity, according to a 2007 survey by the Centers for Disease

Control and Prevention.

Source: Associated Press

-------------------------

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- The South tips the scales again as the nation's fattest region, according to a new government survey.

More than 30 percent of adults in each of the states tipped the scales enough to ensure that the South remains the nation's fattest region.

Colorado was the least obese, with about 19 percent fitting that category in a random telephone survey last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The 2007 findings are similar to results from the same survey the three previous years. Mississippi has had the highest obesity rate every year since 2004. But Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia and Louisiana have also clustered near the top of the list, often so close that the difference between their rates and Mississippi's may not be statistically significant.

Why is the South so heavy? The traditional Southern diet -- high in fat and fried food -- may be part of the answer, said Dr. William Dietz, who heads CDC's nutrition, physical activity and obesity division.

The South also has a large concentration of rural residents and black women -- two groups that tend to have higher obesity rates, he said.

Colorado, meanwhile, is a state with a reputation for exercise. It has plentiful biking and hiking trails, and an elevation that causes the body to labor a bit more, Dietz said.

Obesity is based on the body mass index, a calculation using height and weight. A 5-foot, 9-inch adult who weighs 203 pounds would have a BMI of 30, which is considered the threshold for obesity.

CDC officials believe the telephone survey of 350,000 adults offers conservative estimates of obesity rates, because it's based on what respondents said about their height and weight. Men commonly overstate their height and women often lowball their weight, health experts say.

"The heavier you are, the more you underestimate your weight, probably because you don't weigh yourself as often," Dietz said.

Overall, about 26 percent of the respondents were obese, according to the study, published this week in CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

A different CDC survey -- a gold-standard project in which researchers actually weigh and measure survey respondents -- put the adult obesity rate at 34 percent in 2005 and 2006, the most recent years for which there are data.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the states in the top 10 should be very proud of themselves. Kentucky would score higher but you've gotta have jobs to buy groceries.

:D

Beat me to it!

• Administrator
We should demand a ban on fatty foods! It's for the children!

Unfortunately while not high in fat, I did just check the caloric content of Jack Daniels and some sources list it at: "1 shot/nip, 30ml contains 65 calories.

1 double shot/jigger, 60ml contains 130 calories"

So I must respectfully insist that you retract your statement. Children don't need to be drinking Jack Daniels anyway. :D

The beer that I drink has 99cal per serving. I stay within my daily allowance by just eating one meal per day. Simple solution.

If I was on a J.D. diet... I'd probably just not eat at all.

It is our duty to consume any adult beverages before kids have a chance to get to them. It's the only way.

Guest Angel 24/7
I'm hurting Tennessee in reaching #1. I've lost 40 lbs. so far this year.

:x:

Good job. I have lost 30lbs. It is hard work

Guest GLOCKGUY

i guess im Obesity mine came up 33.3 "Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater" thanks Marswolf i was thinking about going to hardes to day to get their thickburger. now i guess ill go eat a salad :x:

Edited by GLOCKGUY

I'm just in the "overweight" group at 26.6. I need to lose 11 pounds to get to normal. Actuarial charts say 30#. Screw them.

I'm having a salad tonight too. With grilled chicken, Mandarin oranges, toasted almonds and Asian Sesame salad dressing. Total calories? About 410 and 22 grams of fat. Had fresh pesto on linguine for lunch (lots of olive oil and cheese) and pancakes with buckets of syrup for breakfast. So I guess this is actually a moderate calorie day for me. But my thermostat (metabolism) is always stuck on high.

I actually go for tasty food. Smaller quantities are fine as long as there is great flavor. My downfall is snacks. I actually snack pretty much constantly. But if I don't do that I about go catatonic. Hmmm...I think I hear the call of a giant size Snicker bar..... :x:

Guest db99wj

I scored a 26.3 . I need to lose 13lbs to get to a 24.4.

I am working on losing some weight and getting healthier, I have started lowering my intake of carbs (cutting down on breads and sugar)and running 3 days a week, I'm up to 2.4 miles, with about an 11 minute mile. My goal is to run a 5K in August.

Guest GLOCKGUY

well i couldn't eat a salad :puke:ill start my diet next week:whistle: so i give the salad to my wife and i got the thickburger instead:drool::koolaid::taunt:

Guest bkelm18
well then here you go

If I could pull my eyes out, douse them in gasoline, light them on fire, and eat the charred remains, that image will still be there.