Where to live in Nashville area?

Romad7

Traffic can be a little rough on the nashville commute. On the bright side you are close to the idpa out there almost every weekend ...

I am looking at a house in Dickson, anyone know about that area? It's kind of out there but if the area was great we might deal with the distance.

We're moving right south of there into Fairview.  Traffic on the west side of Nashville is fractional as compared to north, south or east.  Getting through Nashville itself is always a task, no matter the direction.

Fairview is ultracheap and about 15 minutes closer to Nashville than Dickson... A lot of farmland out in the area too, so you may want to spread your search out into that area + you'll be in Williamson county for the schools.

• Like 1

I am looking at a house in Dickson, anyone know about that area? It's kind of out there but if the area was great we might deal with the distance.

Yea Dickson is getting way out there.   You might get tired of the drive to Nashville pretty quick.  Since you are looking on the west side of Nashville, check out Fairview (as was mentioned above) as well as Pegram and Kingston Springs.    

Yea Dickson is getting way out there.   You might get tired of the drive to Nashville pretty quick.  Since you are looking on the west side of Nashville, check out Fairview (as was mentioned above) as well as Pegram and Kingston Springs.    

+1 there are a lot of nice cabins in Kingston Springs & Peagram.  

Not sure how much $ you're looking to spend, but this one is 65 acres for $650k in Fairview w/ rental property on the land too http://realtracs.com MLS#: 1364231

I wish we could afford that!

Edited by Sam1
Mls# 1434497 franklin near hwy 96, 1880sq+1194sq finished basement=~3100sqft, 8.5 acres,3b/3ba,2 cars in house, park 5 more in the separate 30X50 workshop. 395k. 45min to bna

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Now for the small matter of my 13825 finders/origination feeSent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

If you were a realtor then we could talk about that;-)

Thats a pretty good one, we'll take a look at it. Thanks!
If you're thinkin bout east near lebanon still check out 1407724,1404837,1373208 & 1417297 (house under construction yet but has 54acres for 439k about 15min east of lebanon)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 1

It's not just the distance. It's the traffic. Sometimes, from 5PM to 6:30PM, traffic is a crawl westbound from the I-440/I-40 intersection for the next couple of miles. I've seen it backed up on I-440 westbound for an additional two miles. There's really no way to get from east Nashville to Dickson/Pegram/Kingston Springs without going through that bottleneck. I drive that stretch in the opposite direction every Thursday and it's backed up about half the time.

When it rains, people here forget how to drive. If it rains, expect a traffic jam.

Take a hard look at Gallatin.

The wife & I just bought 15 acres out there to build on (about 3 weeks ago is when we closed).  Prime Country real estate, on a hill, overlooking a holler & 4 acre pond.   We searched for close to 18 months before pulling the trigger on this property.  We paid $159k ... Decent land in Sumner County will cost approx $10 - $15k an acre.  The farther out you get, the cheaper.  Hendersonville closer to $30k. 

So ... My suggestion would be Gallatin.

Here's some pictures of ours :)

1-1_zps1e28a720.jpg

2-1_zps0302c72e.jpg

3-1_zps46a72e69.jpg

• Like 2

IMO ...

Rent a house for a year.  Live here in Middle TN for a year and explore.  This also gives you time to find land and build.

Don't buy someones "Used" house.  With a budget like what you have - Build.  Get everything you want built, all to your specs, and you'll never regret it :)  Just my :2cents:

• Like 1

IMO ...

Rent a house for a year.  Live here in Middle TN for a year and explore.  This also gives you time to find land and build.

Don't buy someones "Used" house.  With a budget like what you have - Build.  Get everything you want built, all to your specs, and you'll never regret it :)  Just my :2cents:

I think we'll end up doing that. Renting and moving again doesn't sound fun but may end up being the best decision so we don't get into a place that we are not totally happy with.

IMO ...

Rent a house for a year. Live here in Middle TN for a year and explore.

This is what we did, thank god. We would've been screwed if we bought in this area rather than rented first.... Now we know for certain how bad Davidson county traffic, taxes and stress really is without being stuck here for 15 years.
  • Like 1

Take a hard look at Gallatin.

The wife & I just bought 15 acres out there to build on (about 3 weeks ago is when we closed). Prime Country real estate, on a hill, overlooking a holler & 4 acre pond. We searched for close to 18 months before pulling the trigger on this property. We paid $159k ... Decent land in Sumner County will cost approx $10 - $15k an acre. The farther out you get, the cheaper. Hendersonville closer to $30k.

So ... My suggestion would be Gallatin.

Here's some pictures of ours :)

1-1_zps1e28a720.jpg

2-1_zps0302c72e.jpg

3-1_zps46a72e69.jpg

That is some beautiful land. Congrats!
  • Administrator

I-40 West like that is probably one of the EASIEST commutes you can find for those working in downtown Nashville.  The problem is there really isn't much out that way in terms of common amenities or must-visit venues.  Most of the folks out there either travel down SR-840 to Franklin / Cool Springs or just stick to the things that are local to them for entertainment.

• Like 1