target holder

Guest wrongturn

Guest wrongturn
Looking for ideas for a target holder to take to the range. I was thinking of maybe using some PVC piping. Any ideas of some or maybe some pics would be appreciated.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of targets? I usually use those corrugated plastic yard sale type signs that come with the wire stand. I tape or staple the targets to them. Unless you're shooting them with a shotgun, they can be reused several times. I usually pick them up from sign companies, Lowes, or anywhere else I can find them on the cheap. Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest wrongturn
Open to what type of targets mainly for plinking with the kids. Yard sale targets never thought of that one. I just joined the ORSA so I was just looking for ideas before I headed to the range.

Open to what type of targets mainly for plinking with the kids. Yard sale targets never thought of that one. I just joined the ORSA so I was just looking for ideas before I headed to the range.

You can get them at many places. I usually get the black ones that are big enough to tape or staple 4 8x11 targets that we find and print online. I think two of the targets have to be placed horizontally to fit, but that hardly matters.
I use two one inch Popsicle sticks and cut them at 5 ft each. Then one 8 ft 2 x 4 cut into 2 ft sections. Build a bracket out of the 4 pieces of 2 x 4, making the two crosspieces one inch wide to hold the Popsicle sticks. Then take your two sticks and staple a cardboard silhouette to it with the sticks running down the sides.... plywood will work here too. If the cardboard target is more than 2 ft wide just move the sticks in a little to make it fit into the bracket you made. Then just paste your paper targets to the card board with a staple gun or spray adhesive.... spray adhesive is better.

I will try and post a picture later.  Use 2pieces of 15"  1.5" in. dia. PVC  connected in the middle with a 'T'.  Use two of these for the base.  In the "T" that points up, put in another 15" ppe with a T glued to the top end.  The open, top part of the T will hold furring strip, the cross, open T runs over to the other base.  The cross pipe is also 15".  These can be glued or simply pressed fitted so they come apart for transportation.  I carry mine in a laundry bag.  Much lighter and convenient than 2x4s.  I simply staple cardboard to the upright furring strips and then attach my targets to the cardboard.  They are big enough to use standard IDPA targets or smaller.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/sbbean/Targetstand.jpg

Edited by chances R

What kind of targets? I usually use those corrugated plastic yard sale type signs that come with the wire stand. I tape or staple the targets to them. Unless you're shooting them with a shotgun, they can be reused several times. I usually pick them up from sign companies, Lowes, or anywhere else I can find them on the cheap.

This. However, the ground at the plinking range at ORSA can sometimes be hard to get the sign down in so I bring something to start the holes like a crowbar or spike or something.

Edited by gnmwilliams

we use pvc pipe with furring strips (1 x 2) to staple the the targets too. if the stands come apart from rough handling or get shot. duct tape works great.

1.5" pipe with say the bottom 6" of the mounting sticks trimedto about 1.25.

will see if the wife will take picture

Here is mine.....IF the pictures work.  This will be my first time uploading pictures.  I made it using 1.5" PVC, 4 carriage bolts with wing nuts, 1@  10' x 1" x 6" board cut in half.  NO glue at all.  It stays together just fine.  It's about 6' tall at the top and a little less than 5' wide. Works great.  Total cost was about $20.

storage is easy

target1.jpg

ready to travel

target5.jpg

bolts attaching the boards

target6.jpg

base is sturdy, even in wind

target4.jpg

Ready for cardboard (if at the range of course)

target7.jpg

22 target in center

target8.jpg

22 target to left side

target2.jpg

holes drilled in board for 22 target support

target3.jpg

Edited by Randall53