Don’t shoot yourself with a .45....it hurts

:D

WARNING! Graphic pictures of gunshot wounds. Don’t click on this link if you are eating breakfast or have a weak stomach.

http://negligentdischarge.com/

This guy was changing the grip safety on a 1911 while it was loaded. He then decided to try it out by cranking off a round into his leg.

Here is how he described pointing the gun in a safe direction.

I pointed it in a "safe direction" which was at the floor in about a 45 degree angle. In retrospect, sitting in the corner of a basement there really WAS no "safe direction" when you take into account the possibility of a ricochet. If I had been standing, that would have been a "safe direction" otherwise, but since I was sitting my legs were in the path of the resulting bullet.

I really had to laugh when I saw one on the pictures. This guy claims to be a reloader and it made me think of the thread where we were talking about Bubba reloading.

He writes….

A picture trying to show the size of the first entry wound. The camera angle is bad, but the caliper was set to the width of the hole. That's almost 1 1/4 inch

I blacked out the gunshot wound in that picture but you can see it in the story.

Those calipers are reading 12.47mm, or .481†not the 1.247 inches he is referring to as “That's almost 1 1/4 inchâ€. Although he may be confused because I would guess that feels like an inch and a quarter. :D

calipers.jpg

x

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean he was shot with the dreaded .45ACP and didn't die instantly?:D Actually, I've seen this before. He was a lucky guy. The good thing is, he will likely never do that again.

Several years ago I was cleaning a Ruger .357 Blackhawk, when it suddenly discharged in my lap. I seriously thought I removed all the rounds prior to the cleaning, but oh was I wrong. Luckily I was the only one home at the time.

I had the gun lying across my stomach while I was vigorously rubbing the gun with a cloth. Everything was going great, until I bumped into the trigger with my finger. BANG! I nearly needed a diaper. That scared the livin' daylights out of me. Of course, the first thing I do is start looking for an entry wound and blood. Remember, the .357 was lying against my stomach. Never being shot before, I really didn't know what to expect as far as pain and such. I had a Marine friend who was shot in the arm (entrance and exit wound), but didn't even notice until he felt blood running down his arm.

Anyway, after realizing I hadn't just shot myself, I began looking to see where the bullet when. To my surprise, it actually took quite a bit of searching, but I was able to finally locate the path of the bullet. The bullet went all the way across the room, through the back of the couch (where almost always people were sitting), through the wall that seperated the living room and master bedroom, through the back of the dresser, through the contents of the dresser drawer (mosty clothes), and finally was stopped by the metal handle/plate on the dresser drawer. If it would have passed through that, right out the window she would have gone. I was very lucky in many many ways.

Needless to say, I am beyond careful these days. I check, double check, and triple check.

Triple . . . helluva story . . . glad you are here to tell it.

Thanks! I'm just glad that my stupidity didn't prevent me from being able to tell the story. I was really really stupid.

Just a few weeks ago I was making a delivery to one of my customers, when he did something similar with his XD9. I was standing to his right, about two feet away. He had removed the slide and magazine for some reason (I can't really remember why). He then put everything back together (including the magazine). For some reason, he needed/wanted to remove the slide again, but forgot that he had already put the magazine back in.

Side note; if you're not firmiliar with the XD's, you have to pull the trigger (not on the new XDM's) in order to remove the slide.

Anyway, he pulled the trigger to remove the slide, and BANG!!!!! Luckily, he had the gun pointed to his left (remember, I was standing 2 feet to his right). The bullet blew the hell out of one of those paint markers. It was a mess, but no one was hurt. Lucky! Very Lucky!

I was at a gun show many years ago when I lived in NC. Guy was standing next to me looking at a 1911 on a dealer's table. Guy picked it up, racked the slide, pulled the trigger, the gun fired, and it grazed my left boot. Another 1/8 of an inch I would have lost my little toe.

The dealer was SURE the gun was unloaded.

Guys running the gun show came back, told this seller to pack up and get out.

I was at a gun show many years ago when I lived in NC. Guy was standing next to me looking at a 1911 on a dealer's table. Guy picked it up, racked the slide, pulled the trigger, the gun fired, and it grazed my left boot. Another 1/8 of an inch I would have lost my little toe.

I double check my guns before dry firing, even my revolver. When at a store or show, if I have permission to dry fire I do the same.

There is NO EXCUSE for a seller to have a loaded gun on display.

There is NO EXCUSE for a seller to have a loaded gun on display.

Agreed. And there is NO EXCUSE for someone to pick-up a gun and do anything with it before checking that it is clear.

I don’t dry fire my weapons and I don’t allow anyone else to do it; it’s something that just is not done. But I certainly would not allow it at a gun show.

Guest Ranger Rick
no i dont believe this someone shoot their self with a 1911 with all the safety's on them. no way it had to be a Glock

someone... has issues...

:mad:

;)

:D

BTW... I love my 17... so there! :D

The only person that I trust that can verify if a gun is unloaded is me. What I mean is even if I watch you clear the gun and then hand to me...I'm still gonna check it. Obviously this guy didn't check the gun before pulling the trigger. HUGE mistake.

You mean he was shot with the dreaded .45ACP and didn't die instantly?:lol: Actually, I've seen this before. He was a lucky guy. The good thing is, he will likely never do that again.

Several years ago I was cleaning a Ruger .357 Blackhawk, when it suddenly discharged in my lap. I seriously thought I removed all the rounds prior to the cleaning, but oh was I wrong. Luckily I was the only one home at the time.

I had the gun lying across my stomach while I was vigorously rubbing the gun with a cloth. Everything was going great, until I bumped into the trigger with my finger. BANG! I nearly needed a diaper. That scared the livin' daylights out of me. Of course, the first thing I do is start looking for an entry wound and blood. Remember, the .357 was lying against my stomach. Never being shot before, I really didn't know what to expect as far as pain and such. I had a Marine friend who was shot in the arm (entrance and exit wound), but didn't even notice until he felt blood running down his arm.

Anyway, after realizing I hadn't just shot myself, I began looking to see where the bullet when. To my surprise, it actually took quite a bit of searching, but I was able to finally locate the path of the bullet. The bullet went all the way across the room, through the back of the couch (where almost always people were sitting), through the wall that seperated the living room and master bedroom, through the back of the dresser, through the contents of the dresser drawer (mosty clothes), and finally was stopped by the metal handle/plate on the dresser drawer. If it would have passed through that, right out the window she would have gone. I was very lucky in many many ways.

Needless to say, I am beyond careful these days. I check, double check, and triple check.

WOW! That really makes me realize that safty can't be taken for granted by anyone at any time. Glad there wasn't a room full of people. It would be bad to shoot yourself but it would be devastating to accidentally shoot someone else!

Guest Engloid

I'm not saying that it's not a crappy thing to happen, but....

"A picture trying to show the size of the first entry wound. The camera angle is bad, but the caliper was set to the width of the hole. That's almost 1 1/4 inch"

onesize.jpg

ummmm.. that's 12.4mm....NOT an inch and a quarter.