Buying a rifle out of state?

Stainless

Make sure you have an FFL that will receive deliveries from a non-FFL holder or you will need to have an FFL on both ends.

He (or his FFL holder) will contact your FFL receiver and get a copy of their FFL and mail it (UPS/FedEX) to your FFL.

That is my understanding of the process, my only interstate transaction was as the buyer but that's how it went down.

There might be restrictions on the carrier but I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct that, or Google it.

You can go to SC and transfer long gun to you at FFL there, or he can bring or ship it to FFL here for the transfer to you.

By  federal law, all firearm sales between residents of different states must be transferred through FFL, and hand guns must be received in the state of the buyer.

- OS

From FFL to FFL is the best way.

Let the ones that do it every day.

I disagree with this unless the sellers FFL won't charge you.  No need to pay $30 or more just to have the FFL send it.  Have him pack it up good, take it to a UPS Shipping Center (not a UPS Store) or Post Office and send it to your FFL.  Leave no markings on the outside that shows it is a gun.  

Shouldn't cost more than $30 dollars to ship it in most cases.  It's not hard unless you run into an idiot at the post office. It's perfectly legal and pretty simple.  Like said above, just make sure your FFL will receive from an individual.

Edited by Hozzie

Unless the laws have changed since I was in the business, the sending party does not have to be a FFL, only the transferree has to be.  If certain FFLs insist that the sender be a FFL, this is likely a business decision based upon risk assessments, not a law obligations.  The commerical risk likely consists of gun ownership risk and tracibility risk.  Its easier for the transferring FFL to go back to the shipping FFL, vs. John Doe. 

Unless the laws have changed since I was in the business, the sending party does not have to be a FFL, only the transferree has to be.  If certain FFLs insist that the sender be a FFL, this is likely a business decision based upon risk assessments, not a law obligations.  The commerical risk likely consists of gun ownership risk and tracibility risk.  Its easier for the transferring FFL to go back to the shipping FFL, vs. John Doe. 

All is still the same situation.

And even though by federal law an FFL in any state may sell a long gun to a resident of any state, due to various state restrictions regarding the adjoining-state-only laws and whatnot, some will only sell to same state residents. Although as I understand it, as long as the FFL is abiding by federal law and the law of his own state, any provisions in other states could only smack the buyer and not the seller.

- OS

The way D&T told me, if the firearm was hot, LEO looking for it, or any problems it would be found on the sellers end.

Keeping the buyers end clean.

I highly doubt a seller's FFL is checking the gun in NCIC before shipping it, but maybe they are.  I suspect most are just packing it up and sending it.  I am not saying what they told you is wrong, I just don't see it happening.  At the end of the day, the receiving FFL isn't going to be out anything but a little time if there is an issue.  The buyer will of course be out whatever money they paid for the gun and background fees.  I understand if you like your FFL and are willing to pay the extra to use them, I am just too cheap to add the extra expense.  I try to be sure the seller is legit before buying, but there are no guarantees in life. 

Edited by Hozzie

I highly doubt a seller's FFL is checking the gun in NCIC before shipping it, but maybe they are.  I suspect most are just packing it up and sending it.  I am not saying what they told you is wrong, I just don't see it happening.  At the end of the day, the receiving FFL isn't going to be out anything but a little time if there is an issue.  The buyer will of course be out whatever money they paid for the gun and background fees.  I understand if you like your FFL and are willing to pay the extra to use them, I am just too cheap to add the extra expense.  I try to be sure the seller is legit before buying, but there are no guarantees in life. 

Ironically enough Red is most likely saving quite a bit of $$$ by using and staying loyal to D&T. They've got the best deal for transfers going hands down.

Personally, unless its a C&R gun which I can have shipped to the front door, I am unlikely to have anything shipped from another state anyway. Just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

Exceptions would be say having Joebobs send something in to D&T for me or maybe if I found a deal that was actually worth the shipping/transfer fees. But for me there are to many deals here in Tn. Even if I have to drive to Knox for the right deal I'd just make a day trip out of it and go to gatlinburg.

I discovered this the hard way last week. I knew handguns required a FFL but didn’t think about long guns. I was working in the Houston area and planned to buy a big bore hunting rifle from a Texas Seller (he lived about 1 hour from my location). After we completed our negotiations (over the phone), he asked about the transfer and I rudely discovered that a FFL was needed. Between shipping and two FFL’s (TX and TN), I estimated the transfer cost to be $80. By the time I added my travel expenses, it wasn’t worth buying the gun. The Seller was kind enough to let me pass on the purchase.

I discovered this the hard way last week. I knew handguns required a FFL but didn’t think about long guns. I was working in the Houston area and planned to buy a big bore hunting rifle from a Texas Seller (he lived about 1 hour from my location). After we completed our negotiations (over the phone), he asked about the transfer and I rudely discovered that a FFL was needed. Between shipping and two FFL’s (TX and TN), I estimated the transfer cost to be $80. By the time I added my travel expenses, it wasn’t worth buying the gun. The Seller was kind enough to let me pass on the purchase.

You could have just went to his FFL and completed the transfer and brought it home with you since you were there in person.  For long guns, you can legally complete the transfer in the other state in person.  Handguns always have to go to an FFL in your state, but not long guns.

• Like 1

You could have just went to his FFL and completed the transfer and brought it home with you since you were there in person.  For long guns, you can legally complete the transfer in the other state in person.  Handguns always have to go to an FFL in your state, but not long guns.

Yup. Assuming the FFL will do it, perfectly legal by federal law. Some states don't allow it, but Texas sure ain't one of them.

- OS