Considering a Career change

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

So Ive been with my current employer for around 6 years & dont get me wrong I like my job, but Ive pretty much topped out & theres no room for advancement. Im really considering applying with the THP or The Wilson county Sheriffs Dept. I alwalys wanted to be in LE & I know that theres always gonna be room for advancement. Im 33 & really dont want to look back when Im 40 doing the same thing im doing now & only making a couple dollars more an hour. So anyone out there with any LE experience that can give me any pointers on ow to get my foot in the door or the rproper channels to go through.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ranger Rick
So Ive been with my current employer for around 6 years & dont get me wrong I like my job, but Ive pretty much topped out & theres no room for advancement. Im really considering applying with the THP or The Wilson county Sheriffs Dept. I alwalys wanted to be in LE & I know that theres always gonna be room for advancement. Im 33 & really dont want to look back when Im 40 doing the same thing im doing now & only making a couple dollars more an hour. So anyone out there with any LE experience that can give me any pointers on ow to get my foot in the door or the rproper channels to go through.

Not in LE. But, I say go for it. :P

Life is too short.

Don't tell you current employer or any of your co-workers that you're "considering your options." And don't leave your current position until you're employed else where.

For the THP would think you could start at their web site. If you qualify for work there... I'ld say you'ld have no problem with the local sheriff requirements.

THP is very military like. If that fits you then go for it. Every POT i've talked to said they felt sorrow for the THP guys at the Academy. this was coming from some ex-military guys. :P NO pain, no gain though!

Guest canynracer
Work Reserve for a local department. You might find out if you love it or hate it.

+1....I am most likely going to go this route here in Shelby County.

Guest eyebedam

the military type structure wouldn't bother me. I like that kind of stuff. Basic was my favorite part of the army. How hard is it to get on even in a reserve type status?

Guest shortfri

Just my 2 cents. But unless you have a problem with Mt. Juliet P.D. i'd try them first. I think you'd like the pay and benifits better.

Guest eyebedam
Just my 2 cents. But unless you have a problem with Mt. Juliet P.D. i'd try them first. I think you'd like the pay and benifits better.

I have no problem with them but I know the 2 that I mentioned dont require any college. I'm not sure if MJPD has the same requirements or not.

I have no problem with them but I know the 2 that I mentioned dont require any college. I'm not sure if MJPD has the same requirements or not.

Gallatin is currently hiring I know for sure. I think they were trying to bring on 6 this month.

Guest canynracer
the military type structure wouldn't bother me. I like that kind of stuff. Basic was my favorite part of the army. How hard is it to get on even in a reserve type status?

Reserves are generally unpaid...(for the most part) so as long as you pass the same requirements as full time LEOS (i.e. POST training) and background checks you are good...keep in mind that reserves are held to the same standards as full time, with the same powers. Shelby County requires 24hrs a month, of course you could do more, but you must volunteer 24hrs minimum.

Also, Reserves are a "foot in the door" when the dept is hiring, if you decide to go full time.

Reserves are generally unpaid...(for the most part) so as long as you pass the same requirements as full time LEOS (i.e. POST training) and background checks you are good...keep in mind that reserves are held to the same standards as full time, with the same powers. Shelby County requires 24hrs a month, of course you could do more, but you must volunteer 24hrs minimum.

That's very interesting. From what I read on their site and you have said it seems like a reserve officer would meet the requirements to be included in H.R. 218, which allows leo's to carry nationwide. Can anyone confirm this?

Guest jackdog

me too I want to be a CEO, run a company into the ground get fired and walk away with a multi million dollar golden parachute package

Guest eyebedam
me too I want to be a CEO, run a company into the ground get fired and walk away with a multi million dollar golden parachute package

what does that have to do with this thread?

I am not LEO, but I have thought about trying it myself several times over my lifetime. I was always talked out of it by my current wife.

If I had it to do over I would be in law enforcement now. Don't let the chance get by you, I am 46 now and too old for any dept. that I know of.

If you think you would like to do it then go for it!