Need help with optics

Hi Guys,

I'm shopping for a scope for my new 308 Bushie.  My normal shooting distance is from 100 to 250 yards, but I may want to go out further as well.  Anyone have any scope suggestions for this platform?  PS: Not looking to spend a ton... but want good quality and dependability.

Ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the intended purpose of the rifle? Just punching paper or is it going to be used for hunting?

For target shooting magnification & clarity at high magnification is key, for hunting you'll want less magnification, a wider field of view & more light gathering ability & illuminated recticles are what you'll want.

Thanks Richard, it will be used for target shooting.  I've always used iron sights and I literally know nothing about scopes and optics, as I've never bought one.  I'm reading as much as I can here to figure out what would be best.  I actually feel a little embarrassed about not knowing alot about them, but I'm getting older and irons are getting blurry... LOL

Hit up http://swfa.com. I had a Nikon buck master on my AR, sold it and got a Nikon monarch which was a noticeable improvement. Swfa got it to me for almost the same price as the Monarch. I put a sightron Siii on it last year and it makes the monarch scopes look cheap! If you hunt around around I think the monarch is the best bang for your buck under 350-400 though.
Some good suggestions so far, really would depend on what he's got budgeted though & I usually don't recommend fixed power scopes for any intended ranges closer than 400-500 yards because of their more limited FOV.

Anyway I just thought of another good entry level scope, the Burris 4.5-14x 42mm runs about $100 more than the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x 40mm but I like Burris recticles a little better than Nikon's.

If you get the chance stop at a shop or sporting goods counter & ask to look through a couple, make sure to check things like eye relief, clarity at full-magnification, style of recticle, etc before plopping down the coin for one.

If you were closer I'd be happy to let you peep through some of mine to see which ones you'd like but maybe one of these other guys who live closer will hook you up.

I have 2 Bushnell banner 3-9X40 scopes. They are $79 at Walmart, Academy or online. No, they don't have all the features of $200+ scopes. The work, and work well.

Yup I like Bushnell Banners, especially the Dusk to Dawn series, but I use mine for hunting, not target shooting.

Great hunting scopes though.

Wow!  Thanks for all the great replies!  I took an hour and went over to Academy Sports and did some "peeping".  Saw plenty of optics from $99-$499 or so.  I'm thinking I would like mil dot recticles, but didn't see any on the display.  I'll continue the hunt.  Thank you all for the help!

Bushnell Tactical 10x is very good for the money and sits on one of my .308s(occasionally Bushnell will run $50-75 rebates on their tactical line that makes these walmart scope cheap).  Vortex viper is the best glass I have looked through not named Nightforce for realistic money.  

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies! I took an hour and went over to Academy Sports and did some "peeping". Saw plenty of optics from $99-$499 or so. I'm thinking I would like mil dot recticles, but didn't see any on the display. I'll continue the hunt. Thank you all for the help!

If you are looking at the Mil-Dot reticle check out the Mil-Quad reticle on the SWFA SS, it was a big selling point for me.

2225ee5e63fad0afe34eb24611b4fd36.jpg
8f447885e4851c024369a54be08e4bbe.jpg Edited by Romad7
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Msavard

Here is a scope buying guide that might help make sense of a few things.

Scope Buying Guide

I'm a fan of Nikon's.  

That has me seriously considering the Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40  at $150 shipped for my AR-15. 

What mount would you guys suggest for a picatinny rail on a flat top AR like the Colt LE6900? 

Thanks in advance

It would be hard to go wrong with Nikon or Leupold.  I'm a firm beliver in the adage to buy all the scope you can afford...

It is not unusual for the optics to cost more than the firearm.

Good luck & good shooting with whatever you choose.

• 2 years later...