Colt SP1 AR-15

I have a near mintcondition SP1 that I am considering selling. It was made in 1971 and is all original, triangle forearm, birdcage flash hider, no forward assist. The gun shoots great as well. Does anyone know what guns like this are selling for? I don't want to set to high a price, but I really don't know its fair market value.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rando

I have seen them at shows for $1200 and UP, but I bought mine for $900 also an early 70's model from a guy needing $$$$$ He bought it new and swore he would never part with it ,( Family first) was what he told me at the time, of course if it leaves me it will be back to him. Wish I could add yours to the space beside of it.

Good luck:)

Guest Grout

What with all the Bushmasters,S&Ws,Stag Arms,etc. and people building them from parts it is hard to sell a Colt AR for what it is worth.I had a Blue Label Match H-Bar that I did not shoot anymore.The Blue Book had a price of $1500 for one in that cond.I was asking $11OO and finally sold it for $900.According to the Blue Book an SP-1 with 90% finish is worth $1600 with early mfrg.models commanding substantial premiums.The ones included in that range are from 1963-1976.If it were me I would put it on Gun Broker and see what it brings.

Guest eseaton

Obviously, Colts have the name recognition. The problem is there are many other clones with the same if not better quality. You need to find a Colt "snob" to sell it to that craves the Colt name.

eseaton

Thank you for the info. If I decide to sell I think the gunbroker idea will give me the best chance to get top dollar for the rifle. It's not a must sell item anyway, so I would want a premium for it. Someone who collects nice old Colt ARs would want this gun.

Yeah, it should bring every bit of 1200-1400 to the right collector.

I have a beautiful 1968 SP1 plus my SP1 transferable machinegun.

Not really the ARs I like to shoot, as I prefer more modern and reliable rifles, but they are great investments, and I jump on every SP1 I find at a good deal.

With all the Colt geeks out there, its like money in the bank!

Is that the one slung across your back in the black and white picture in the Cleveland clubhouse?.Man you looked so Tacti-Cool,like a young GI Joe.:D

I have not seen the photo, did not even know it exsisted. Would like to see it though. But yes that would be the gun. I remember when wearing surplus camo to matches was OK :D