The Masters: Couples At It Again

Boom Boom, now 53, is in the clubhouse, currently 1 stroke back after second round.

Damn, he's been so close several times in his dotage :), sure wish he could pull it off.

Tiger currently 1 back of Freddy, his resurrection seems solid.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

yes, Tiger is playing well and I assume we'll see him competing on a more regular basis this year compared to recent years.  I would LOVE to see Freddie win the green jacket this year, such a good guy.  He's battled back problems for years, so good to see him playing well.  

• Like 1

Couples won the 1992 Masters, to see him do it now would be great! Tiger gets caught cheating (improper drop) and instead of following the rules and DQ him for signing an incorrect scorecard, they give him a 2 stroke penalty. Kind of takes the prestige away from the tournament when they change the rules just for Tiger.

Couples won the 1992 Masters, to see him do it now would be great! Tiger gets caught cheating (improper drop) and instead of following the rules and DQ him for signing an incorrect scorecard, they give him a 2 stroke penalty. Kind of takes the prestige away from the tournament when they change the rules just for Tiger.

Well, c'mon. Only reason he had to take a drop was because he hit a great shot, but bounced off the frigging pin into the creek.

USGA Rule 33.7 allows committee discretion on disqualification and it was also explained that under the Master's Committee policy (enacted two years ago) a player may be allowed to stay in the tournament if a rules dispute was based on television evidence rather than called by an official during real time play.

I'd say under all the circumstances, the ruling was not only legitimate, but still quite harsh, and puts him 5 strokes back now. And all for being unlucky enough to hit the pin on a great shot that wound up costing him 3 strokes, and likely 4, as that shot ordinarily would have been a pretty good birdie opportunity; hell, it could have even gone in.

Also, the 14 year old Chinese kid was penalized a stroke for slow play, but still made the cut. Some interesting stuff this year.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Boom Boom, now 53, is in the clubhouse, currently 1 stroke back after second round.

Damn, he's been so close several times in his dotage :), sure wish he could pull it off.

Tiger currently 1 back of Freddy, his resurrection seems solid.

- OS

I had no clue what you were talking about til I read "Tiger"lol

Yep, that is too bad for Freddie.  Since he is out of contention, I would love to see Tiger come back, but that is more than likely not going to happen.

I'm thinking it might be fitting Karma for Eldrick Tont Woods to finish his career with 17 majors, myself. ;)

- OS

Wow, both Adam Scott and Cabrera birdie the 18 for a playoff.

El Pato was 277th in the world ranking, but he's won two majors and going for his third, seems those are the only ones he can play well in here.

So maybe an Argentine pope and Master's champ in same year. :)

And of course Stevie is on the bag for Scott, take that you know where, Tiger!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Scott  drains it: WINNER!!

Didn't realize, first Aussie ever to win the Masters!

And with Tiger's betrayed caddy. Good for Stevie Williams, too!

Also has worked with Butch Harmon, who Tiger had fired also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I am glad Scott got it.  I thought Norman had a green jacket, but I guess not.

Greg's epic fizzle in last round against Faldo in '96 was last time he really contended there, and that must have really taken the wind out of his sails for Augusta.

- OS

• Like 1
I thought Angel had holed that chip on the first playoff. He was literally 1/2" from winning, made a great put attempt on 2nd playoff and still lost.

Scott was smooth and consistent on playoff holes. Got his 2nd shot high on the green on the 2nd playoff hole and made that put much more make-able than the one Cabrerra had.

Definitely a good show.  Glad I woke up in time to see Scott and Angel play the 18th and the playoff.  I didn't really know who to pull for.  Wish Snedeker had faired better, hopefully he'll learn from it. 

I was especially happy to see the usual suspects (Tiger, Phil, McIlroy, et. al.) be utterly uncompetitive.