AR 15 Trigger

Guest Averhoeven

Guest Averhoeven
I am thinking of trading out the stock trigger on my M&P 15 for something a little bit lighter. Perhaps I've been spoiled by my PPQ, but the pull on the AR feels stiffer than I'd like and doesn't have as nice of a break. I assume that many of you have probably done it before so i was wondering how difficult a job this is for someone who's experience working on his rifle amounts to breaking it down for cleaning. Also, any suggestions? I don't necessarily feel like dropping $200+ on something like a Gieselle if there's good stuff for cheaper (eg: the Rock River stuff seems to have good reviews for just over $100). Any other tips and suggestions are all appreciated. Thanks

Also, is there even a used market on these and would there be anything to look out for? I searched the classifieds and it doesn't seem anyone has ever posted an old trigger group for sale before so i assume there's a reason! Edited by Averhoeven

My 2 cents worth...I have two Rock River NM triggers. Good bang for the buck and are reliable which is very important. The only down side is one felt a little better than the other but both have nice pull. Top on the list for me is the Geissele SSE trigger. It is a combat trigger fully tested in the field and has a great trigger feel. I understand that Geiselle is popular with the military but I have never confirmed that. One of the NM triggers is almost as nice as the SSA (but not quite). Both brands can be installed at home.  IMHO the Geiselle SSA is the best deal out there. Shop around. Good Luck.

http://geissele.com/supersemi-automatic.aspx

Geiselle.

I have the SSA-E its very nice, I have the Geiselle hi speed NM trigger and its in a different league.

The RRA nm is an improvement over a worked factory trigger, just not a huge difference IMO. I have a Timney on my sons AR and it falls somewhere between the RRA and the SSA-E IMO.

Some things (barrels and triggers) are worth the extra coin.

Defense/combat SSA-E
Precision Hi speed DMR or match (mine came with all three different sets of springs)
Guest summertime27

Buy once cry once, Geissele SSA-E is your best all around trigger option for a multi purpose rifle.... pricey but you do get what you pay for.

Well that seems to be a pretty unanimous opinion. Just armed weird to stop over $200 on a "small"component of a $1000 rifle!

Not just one compenent. It's the trigger, hammer, disconnector, springs, and pins. To me, the fire control group is a big component. It's the human interface to the business end of the rifle. The tighter tolerances make them more expensive. The results... they just drop in with no adjustments, and run forever.

One more thing... I've never seen a Geissele trigger discounted. So, you normally get the same price directly from Geissele, and they throw in some swag (at least they used to). I haven't bought one since the Obamalypse started. May have to hunt around.

Try to get a drop-in kit to make it easier to install (although its not too complicated, but can get annoying as you try to find a weight you like).

For any rifle I prefer a Single Stage trigger with  2-4 lbs of pull.

Jewell has not made a single stage kit yet, otherwise i'd have it.  But the current ones I'd recommend are Timney, CMC, and Geissele.

With all of that said, your money would probably be better spent to bring the lower to a gunsmith such as Chris @ MidTNGunsmithing and let him replace some springs and work on it though as new triggers can get pricey.

Edited by alwaysonjohn