What's the best gun safe?

Guest superslacker

Well my insurance companies sure do put stock in fire ratings, I have a few different policies on my firearms and each one of them gave me a substantial discount when they researched and inspected my gun safe,

They are giving you a discount because the chances of having your guns stolen out of a large safe in a burglary are pretty slim.

I did a lot of research on this when I was looking for a fire safe. I gave up on the idea because the pros say that your guns just will not survive in a fire. They may be functional, but will require complete refinishing inside and out. What’s one of your high end 1911’s worth after it’s been completely reworked and refinished because it was in a fire?

Safes are a great idea for securing your firearms, but from what I have read they won’t protect them in a fire.

However… I am not a fireman or a safe manufacturer, nor have I been present when a safe containing firearms has been opened after a fire. So I could be all wrong in believing those that claim to have experience on this issue. :biglol:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest REDDOG79

I personally don't believe in the "fire rating" that safes have. No I am not a fireman or an engineer but when looking for a gun safe I decided the Stack On locking metal cabinets are good enough protection from theft and my children. As far as a fire goes well then I am SOL. fire is the least of my concerns as I have children and have already had 3 guns stolen from me once.

First thing to do is decide(let your wife tell you) where you will put the safe. Then decide what size will go where you want it. Then find the best safe you can afford. I had to put mine in an extra bedroom walk-in closet. That was fine except the closet had a 24" door on it, so after I took the doorjams off, I got a 23" deep safe in there. Gander Mtn. runs specials on theirs and if you apply for their credit card they take another 10% off. That's what I did. The only thing that I didn't do when the safe guy delivered it, was have it anchored to the slab. I wish now that I had. Good luck with your hunt.

DSCN0926.JPG

Guest superslacker

Your safe looks so sad and lonely next to the hot water heater. All of our spare bedrooms and closets are pretty much upstairs, so I think it's going to have to go in our bedroom. I forfeit a lot of arguments with my wife for just such an occasion. Now I can say "I didn't say anything when you ______, or I let you _____ and kept quiet."

They are giving you a discount because the chances of having your guns stolen out of a large safe in a burglary are pretty slim.

I did a lot of research on this when I was looking for a fire safe. I gave up on the idea because the pros say that your guns just will not survive in a fire. They may be functional, but will require complete refinishing inside and out. What’s one of your high end 1911’s worth after it’s been completely reworked and refinished because it was in a fire?

Safes are a great idea for securing your firearms, but from what I have read they won’t protect them in a fire.

However… I am not a fireman or a safe manufacturer, nor have I been present when a safe containing firearms has been opened after a fire. So I could be all wrong in believing those that claim to have experience on this issue. :D

Hopefully I will never need this protection, besides my Guns and expensive knives, Paperwork, Jewelry certificates are also stored in it here is a company Fort Knox safe with less fire rating than mine being put through the test [ame]

[/ame]

i got a stackon from Dicks. waterproof and fireproof. lots of room in the safe....can hold up to 28 long guns. normally they are 700, but they had a sale down to 599 plus if you sign up for a credit card they will take $20 off. so i got it for 579, not a bad deal, a lot better than i found at academy or basspro.

Guest macmonkey

I was talking to someone a few days ago about getting a safe and he mentioned that it is best from a fire protection standpoint to keep the safe in the garage of the house as it's usually the most intact and coolest in the event of a fire.