What's the best gun safe?

Guest superslacker

Guest superslacker

I'm looking for a gun safe, maybe a 12/22 capacity or so and I would like it to have around an hour of fire protection. The problem is that I can't spend over $850. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Major Pain

There are two safes for sale or trade in Firearms parts and acc. here in TGO, sounds like might be what your looking for. Might be worth a look.----MP

Guest superslacker

I found a good size Redhead safe at Bass Pro in Memphis with an hour of fire protection for $650, and so far that's the best deal I've found. I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer is, though. The liberty safes look very nice, but they are a bit pricey for me, as my wife and I are full time grad students.

I'm looking for a gun safe, maybe a 12/22 capacity or so and I would like it to have around an hour of fire protection. The problem is that I can't spend over $850. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I just went through the same thing; I didn’t really need security, but wanted a fire safe. There aren’t any; not without spending multiple thousands on a real safe. Your guns won’t survive a fire in any of these $1K safes.

This seems to be the best recommendation I have seen:

Buy a steel box for security and add a firearms rider to your insurance policy for fire.

I have a Stack-On and like it quite well. I believe Joe at Hero Gear carries them...also Dicks has them. They can be had in a good size for less then $850 and have fire protection along with being waterproof(depending on the model) which is nice when the fire department hoses down your house....Unless you live in the middle of nowhere 1hr of fire protection is plenty...if it take the fire department more then 30mins to get to your house you might wanna think about installing a fire suppression system first :D

This is the one I got and I like it a LOT

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2881829

Guest 5Legion
I found a good size Redhead safe at Bass Pro in Memphis with an hour of fire protection for $650, and so far that's the best deal I've found. I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer is, though. The liberty safes look very nice, but they are a bit pricey for me, as my wife and I are full time grad students.

I got mine 5 yrs ago at Bass Pro - Opry Mills. They have some decent sales if you watch for them.

+1 on the Stack On. They hold their resale value pretty well too. I sold my old 10 gun Stack On safe to brother in law and only lost 50 bucks after having it for 3 years. He even came and got it so no delivery.

Currently running the 24 gun safe with some mods for shelving to work on both sides. 599.00

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2511914

Bear in mind that the larger safes are a better value - one 50 cu. ft. safe costs significantly less than two 25 cu. ft. safes.
figure out how big of a safe you need, then double the size.

That's true ... When I started looking for my safe a few years ago, I was told by a number of people always get something bigger than you think you will need. Since I've moved here a little over a year ago, my safe has too much stuff in it. I keep my firearms, important papers, my wife's jewelry, plus ammo and some reloading supplies. I'm looking for a lockable cabinet to store the ammo and reloading supplies because I do not want that it my safe.

Anyway to sum it ... I only had handguns when I bought my safe. I bought a 20 gun safe with movable shelves. It's about 8 years later and even with the ammo in the safe, I still have room for more longarms or handguns.

Guest superslacker

I'd love to get a giant $3000 Browning safe, but unfortunately my budget is super tight, so I'll have to wait till I get out of grad school to get something nice. Right now I'm just trying to prevent someone from shooting me with my own guns if they break into my house and I come home and find them.

Guest superslacker

By the way, does anyone know when Bass Pro puts safes on sale? I was told that they get quite a bit cheaper when they have the sales, and I really hate buying something only to find it on sale a couple of months later.

Guest readyornot

I bought mine last year the day after Thanksgiving from Gander Mountain in Knoxville. I'm sure Bass Pro will have a similar sale around that time too. Check their website for web based sales also.

Guest bkelm18

I wouldn't put too much stock into fire ratings. If the fire isn't put out within 10 or 15 minutes, you're guns are going to be reduced to nice chunks of rust no matter how good the rating of the safe. Invest in insurance. Best fire protection you could get.

I wouldn't put too much stock into fire ratings. If the fire isn't put out within 10 or 15 minutes, you're guns are going to be reduced to nice chunks of rust no matter how good the rating of the safe. Invest in insurance. Best fire protection you could get.

Well my insurance companies sure do put stock in fire ratings, I have a few different policies on my firearms and each one of them gave me a substantial discount when they researched and inspected my gun safe,