Best Hot Wings.

Guest nraforlife

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how I stumbled into this forum, but all this talk of wings is making me hungry and homesick!!! Its not like I see this kind of food over here.

Another place that has great wings is Ritchie's Hot & Spicy Kastle in Madison. Ritchie is an immigrant from Nigeria. Super nice guy and has a great little restaurant. He deep frys his wings naked then coats them in a very good hot sauce.

I know this place well, I have nearly burst into flames on several occasions at this establishment. Highly recommend!

Not sure how I stumbled into this forum, but all this talk of wings is making me hungry and homesick!!! Its not like I see this kind of food over here.

I know this place well, I have nearly burst into flames on several occasions at this establishment. Highly recommend!

I want to thank you for your service. God bless you and all the other service people over there protecting us.:)

Apparently, Hooters does a breading, but they let the wings sit in the breading mix for about an hour, thus getting a thick coating. Here is a copycat recipe I found:

Buffalo Wings like Hooter's®

Lightly breaded in seasoned flour, deep-fried

'till crispy, then coated in a Buffalo sauce

custom-flavored to your desired heat level.

Prep. Time: 1:45

Serves: 4

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. paprika

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp. black pepper

20 chicken wing segments

1/2 cup butter OR margarine

1/2 cup hot sauce (see Notes, below)

-In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and peppers.

-Coat chicken entirely in the flour mixture; refrigerate coated wings for 1 hour; coat chicken again with remaining flour mixture.

-In a 2-quart saucepan, heat butter and hot sauce just until butter melts; turn heat to low and keep warm on stove top.

-Deep-fry chicken, 8 - 10 pieces at a time, in 375 degree oil (vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil) for 13 minutes, turning once or twice.

-Drain chicken on a wire cooling rack for 30 seconds, then immediately toss fried chicken in buffalo sauce mixture and remove with a slotted spoon.

-Repeat with remaining chicken.

Adjusting the spiciness of the sauce: As is, the recipe produces a medium sauce. To change the amount of spiciness, simply adjust the butter-to-hot sauce-ratio:

Mild: Use 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup hot sauce.

Hot: Use 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup hot sauce.

Notes: I use Frank's® Buffalo Wing sauce in the recipe, as I enjoy the flavor of Buffalo sauce, but not the heat. If you like spice, you can use regular Frank's® Hot Sauce. I'm sure another hot sauce like Tabasco® would work fine, but Frank's® has a great flavor, not just heat. Use ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing as a dip for these fabulous wings!

Looks like the original Anchor Bar recipe just salted the wings and deep fried them without breading.

OK, all you wing grillers....what heat setting do you use - low to high? I'm guessing low.In my experience, putting a sauce on meat while grilling just leads to burned sauce by the time the meat is done unless it's something like barbecue in a real pit. Or is grill and then sauce the way to go?

never once saw them eat any of the crab... they never showed them eating a one

That is easy to figure. They sell the crabs to earn a living for themselves and the company they work for. You do not eat what you plan to sell. I would guess it is a hard and fast rule on those boats.

Or is grill and then sauce the way to go?

thats the ticket!! Saucing food before it is fully cooked may work well with red meat but it causes overcooking to pork and chicken, froglegs too I suppose.

Cook the chicken to near perfection then start painting on the hot sauce. I lower the heat once the saucing begins. You don't want to burn the sauce but if is crisps up on the chicken skin it is okay. I actually like it that way.

Be aware of grill heat during the saucing and don't overcook the wings while saucing.

Thats why you should use lower heat at this stage. I also will move the wings to a higher rack as well.

Really the key to all this is drinking enough beer. :cheers:

I'm doing four cooking techniques.

1. Grilled and sauce added later.

2. Grilled and sauce grilled on at the end

3. Deep fried with breading.

4 Deep fried with no breading.

I'm also doing a standard butter and Franks sauce and one with some honey added.

I'm waiting on the breading but into the second beer already. :cheers:

honey added.

I have used that technique before when touching up BBQ sauce. Well honey or syrup like Mrs. Butterworth. It is good for thickening and the syrup or honey helps the sauce adhere to the food.

I wish I was coming to dinner at your place today, LOL I think the wife is going to roll some hotdogs in crescent rolls and bake it up for dinner tonight. It will taste okay but will not be on par with wings. Can't wait to read how yours turn out.

Oh, and you ought to man up on some of the wings. Add some cayanne pepper to the sauce for a few of them. Flame goes well with beer :cheers::shrug:

Well, the meal is done and none too soon. Lots of rumbles from the other side of my ridge. The storm should hit at just the right time for a cigar and another beer.

The easy winner was grilled wings as opposed to fried ones, either breaded or not. No comparison. The breading was fine, but no better than the naked ones. I can see they would hold a bit more sauce for restaurant service.

The winner of the naked-naked grilled wings vs the naked but basted in sauce for the last five minutes was the basted ones. And standard butter/Franks sauce vs the same sauce with the honey added was the honey recipe - but not by much. The non-honey but basted ones were almost as good.

I'll probably add a bit more heat next time.

Cayenne went into the breading mix, and Frank's sauce is primarily cayenne. but more would be good.

So I'm pleased with the experiment and still have a dozen wing segments in the freezer for the next time. Only used half of my $2.49 package. I'll have to keep a lookout for more closeout specials.

My sauce ended up at 1/2 cup (one stick) of melted salted butter and 3 tablespoons of Frank's Wing Sauce. I'll probably move up to 5 or 6 tablespoons of Frank's sauce next time and a three or four tablespoons of honey. The honey sauce does have to be kept a bit more warm to prevent congealing. Of course 5 seconds or so in the microwave takes care of that. BEWARE of exploding butter sauces in the microwave! :cheers:

And the rain just began. Where are those cigars? :shrug:

I forgot to add,

I am not the least suprised by your results.. What you considered best in the head to heads and overall was about how I saw it turning out before you even started.

But I am sure it was a heck of a tasty trial.

OK, I'm putting myself on restriction. Everytime I start reading these posts, I become hungry as hell!! I always compare my meals "over here" to Vegas; you never know if you will be lucky and get a good meal. I probably have better odds in Vegas.

I wonder why the occasional hamburger doesnt taste quite right.:D Is there such thing as black angus camel?:eek:

I have certainly been in a number of places where I was served mystery meat. I always found it best to just be polite, smile and eat it. If it doesn't kill the locals, it probably won't kill me and I'm sure I have eaten worst in survival training. I always think back to the first guy who ate an oyster out of desperation and found out it was actually tasty.

I have two tiny tomatoes on my three vines. Probably not enough for canning? I did have a bunch of spare cucumbers, so I put up a lifetime supply of cucumber relish the other day. Delicious with turnips or rutabagas, but I've never tried it with anything else. But it is something simple to do with all of those all of those cukes that are far too many to eat after they come in.

Lunch today is grilled ground chuck with grilled onions, bell peppers and mushrooms marinated in olive oil and fresh herbs. Sides will be grilled in husk herbed corn on the cob, grilled summer squash, cucumbers in sour cream and fresh dill, pineapple rings with cottage cheese, and tossed salad with homemade honey mustard dressing. :D And beer. :D

So much for the body mass index. :eek:

Guest bkelm18
OK, I'm putting myself on restriction. Everytime I start reading these posts, I become hungry as hell!! I always compare my meals "over here" to Vegas; you never know if you will be lucky and get a good meal. I probably have better odds in Vegas.

I wonder why the occasional hamburger doesnt taste quite right.:D Is there such thing as black angus camel?:eek:

Whenever we were served mystery meat, we didn't call it Black Angus, but Black Anus... usually because it tasted like sh*t. :D

dang Mars, you ought to have a second career as a TV chef or something.

I think I am going to do wings this afternoon with a side of chicken breast also done buffalo style. Sides of cole slaw and tater salad. I will also do some garlic toast on the grill.

Dessert will be butter pecan ice cream, I am pretty sure there is a unopened box of this is in the garage freezer.

Guest Jason F.

All this talk of food got me cooking today. Well I guess first I had to go find some lunch so I decided to try the wings at Cedars that Musicman mentioned earlier in this thread. They were darn tasty. Full of food I went on to the grocery store. A couple hundred bucks later I got home and started the cooking.

Made up some Banana Bread and Muffins for the some breakfast chow the rest of the week.

BanannaBread01.jpg

BanannaBread02.jpg

BanannaBread03.jpg

BanannaBread04.jpg

BanannaBread05.jpg

Guest Jason F.

BanannaBread06.jpg

BanannaBread07.jpg

I then decided to make up some Rot Kraut (German red Cabbage) to go with some Rouladen (another German dish) I will be making Tuesday. It is best if it sits a day or two in the fridge.

RotKraut01.jpg

RotKraut02.jpg

RotKraut03.jpg

RotKraut04.jpg

Edited by Jason F.
Guest Jason F.

Ground Pork in the stuffing is a bit more Central or Northern Region version. The Bavarian Southern style I am used to is a very light stuffing with no additional meat other than the bacon in the roll. My family always used a little onion, some carrot, and a little bread crumb to bind it all. That with the bacon, pickle, and mustard make for a fine dish.

It is a little strange since my family is all from the Northern region country near Hamburg but several of my Grandmothers dishes were from the south.

I made some of Mike's wing sauce tonight to liven up some pizza hut wings (they are all I could get and never hot enough). Man that is some good sauce, I wonder will it keep in the fridge? Next time I gotta add 2 tbs cayan pepper, that will make 3, 1 was NOT hot at all.:hat:

I love rote kohl. Took me a little while to figure out why you were putting shoestring potatoes in it, Jason. :up:

I make banana bread when I catch bananas on the closeout rack.

I came up with a good recipe for homemade Ranch Dressing. I found all sorts of weird copycat recipes for it, including one that used a bunch of saltines. Basically, I read the ingredients label and put the recipe together from what felt right. Ended up substituting instant mashed potato flakes for the maltodextrin. It's really not needed for the right texture if you use real buttermilk and full-fat mayonnaise but the flakes help the texture a little and helps add volume to the dry mix.. I also ignored the carrageenan. Decided I didn't need mildly carcinogenic seaweed sliminess anyway. But MSG is a requirement for the Ranch dressing, in case any of you imagine that you are allergic to it. :D