Best Hot Wings.

Guest nraforlife

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNDixieGirl

Butter is a key ingredient for preparing true "buffalo" wings. Along with a vinegar based hot sauce. But I have to agree that breading makes it a hot wing, not a buffalo wing.

Before the wing rage spread throughout the country, we had some true Buffalo New Yorkers show us how to properly make the famous wings. We'd never heard of such a thing before. Was sometime in the early 80's I reckon. Have been addicted every since then. And boy, do those New Yorkers ever talk funny. :popcorn:

Guest db99wj
Butter is a key ingredient for preparing true "buffalo" wings. Along with a vinegar based hot sauce. But I have to agree that breading makes it a hot wing, not a buffalo wing.

Before the wing rage spread throughout the country, we had some true Buffalo New Yorkers show us how to properly make the famous wings. We'd never heard of such a thing before. Was sometime in the early 80's I reckon. Have been addicted every since then. And boy, do those New Yorkers ever talk funny. :popcorn:

Franks Red Hot is great sauce to buy IMO. I use it on chicken strips, mix in a little Ranch, that is some good eat'n. I'm not a big fan of Bleu Cheese.

Here is a little history about Buffalo Wings and Franks Red hot.

FRANK'S® REDHOT® Sauce, which was introduced in 1920, combines the zest of a full-bodied cayenne pepper flavor with vinegar and garlic. That deliciously spicy mixture is then aged to perfection and blended to a thick, rich consistency. The result is the spicy tang, full-bodied flavor and brilliant red color of FRANK'S® REDHOT® Sauce.

A long time favorite flavor enhancer of chefs and home cooks, FRANK'S® REDHOT® Sauce is the perfect blend of flavor and heat for a delicious zing. It's the #1 choice of hot sauce among professional chefs.*

The secret ingredient in the first Buffalo wings

FRANK'S® REDHOT® Sauce was the secret ingredient in the original Buffalo wings, concocted in 1964 by Teressa Bellissimo at the Anchor Bar and Grill in Buffalo, NY. As the story goes, Teresa and her husband Frank were about to close up for the evening when a group of their son Dominic's friends came in for a late night snack. To oblige them, Teresa prepared some chicken wings, splashed on a special sauce with FRANK'S® REDHOT® Sauce and added celery and bleu cheese dressing. The rest is culinary history.

The best combo I've come up with is simply 5 pounds of wings, a case of beer (save one for the sauce), a bottle of Texas Pete's, and 2 sticks of unsalted butter.

Grab a beer and go light the grill, then go check TGO for new threads... Post a few pics in the Girls with Guns thread, and check to make sure everybody knows what kind of ammo you carry. Hit the fridge for another cold one, and the bag of wings... rinse the wings while the butter melts in a saucepan, then mix in the bottle of Texas Pete's and a beer. Pour the concoction over the wings in a pan and place in the fridge. Have another beer. Let it sit and marinate that way while you drink 3-4 more beers and go check on the grill and yell at the neighbor's dog. Stop by the pisser on the way back inside to relieve yourself, (WASH YOUR HANDS)... then go retrieve the pan of wings, and another beer. Spread out the coals in the grill for a low heat, then arrange the wings on the rack, close the lid, and take your beer back inside to catch the start of the race. Don't forget to go turn the wings every 10 laps or so (5 if there's a caution), and after they are browning on both sides, brush on some of the sauce from the pan you marinated them in. Go back inside to get another beer and see who wrecked. Go brush on some more sauce every so often, and turn them... (just whenever you get up for another beer is fine). Make sure to check and see if you have enough beers left throughout the cooking process, if you get low, call up a buddy and tell him that you're making wings, so he needs to get his tail over here with some of his girlfriends... and bring more beer. The wings are done when you run out of pretzels to eat with your beer, or when your buddy arrives, whichever is sooner. ymmv.

Guest TNDixieGirl
:eek: You're brushing bacteria all over those cooked wings if you use the same sauce you marinated/soaked the raw wings in.
:eek: You're brushing bacteria all over those cooked wings if you use the same sauce you marinated/soaked the raw wings in.

What doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger...

(technicalities, technicalities....)

I don't brush any on after they are done cooking, if that eases your mind :D. They end up plenty hot and crispy to be thoroughly cooked.

Guest db99wj
What doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger...

all this germ gel, wash with bleach, wash for 2 minutes with scalding hot water and antibacterial soap, then put some more germ gel on has made us weak. Our grandparents never got salmonella. :eek:

I'm hungry!

Franks Red Hot is great sauce to buy IMO. I use it on chicken strips, mix in a little Ranch, that is some good eat'n.

I thought I was the only one who mixed Franks Red Hot and ranch. That has to be my favorite dippin sauce. It is also good on a turkey and dressing sandwhich.

thats hillarious Eddie.

I dunno about the bacteria thing. You are taking that sauce and making it pretty darn hot on the grill. I am thinking the bacteria will get taken care of. Dunno

Anyway I am guessing that is tongue in cheek. Saucing uncooked chicken virtually guarentees it takes forever to cook the chicken. Sauce will inhibit the cooking something fierce.

When I cook them I will brown the wing then put the have the entire wing swim a few laps in a bowl filled with the buffalo sauce. Then put the wing back on the grill to glaze over. From that point on it is paint the heck out of the wing until the sauce is gone or the beer buzz has reached perfection.

We used to use Franks. but I have found the IGA store brand Louisiana Style Hot Sauce tastes every bit as good as Franks at about a third of the cost. Pretty much I have found any Loiusiana Hot Sauce tastes like Franks. Texas Pete's in spite of being named after Texas is Louisiana style too.

Texas Pete's Wing Sauce is good to go right out of the bottle in a pinch

Never substitute Tabasco for hot sauce on chicken wings. That stuff sucks IMHO.

The wife will flour and fry wings sometimes. They are great!! I loves me some Karin Fried Chicken. She will then take the floured and fried wings, put them in a glass pan, pour the buffalo sauce on them and bake them for a little bit. They come out not overly slimy, even a tad crispy. I prefer to dip the floured wing. So she keeps some plain.

Edited by Mike.357

Anchor Bar, Main St., Buffalo NY. Best wings and the first wings. Been there, done that, hae the burn marks to prove it. (Also a great house blues band, but that was 19 years ago.)

OK, it's wing time!

Since I've never had them, I'm wingin' it. :up:;)

I was out yesterday and dropped by a grocery that had a "family pack" of chicken wings. 3.13 pounds, normally $7.17 marked down to $2.49. They are supposed to be green and fuzzy, aren't they? It all washed off.

Since I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm gonna' sorta' maybe go by several recipes I found. I decided to go with Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce with some added butter. Haven't decided whether to marinate and do on the grill or dredge in flour and deep fry. I think batter would probably be a thicker crust than I'd want. I'm leaning toward a buttermilk soak and a dredge in flour followed by deep frying, to keep the calorie count high. I may use lard just to thumb my nose at the healthy eaters. I'm sure I'll find some trans-fat to use.

While I like Bleu Cheese, I think I'll pass on it this time. I may make some fake Ranch dressing to eat with the celery or mix with the sauce. Might throw in some French goat milk Feta. I made Honey Mustard dressing this morning, but that doesn't sound too good with wings. While I wouldn't call Frank's sauce "Red Hot" I will be taking a Prilosec, Pepsid, and three Tums before I get started. Lots and lots of beer is chilling.

I'll probably do this tomorrow, so if you have any suggestions, please comment. Hmmm, guess I'd better go get more beer if this is for tomorrow. :D

have any suggestions

Mars skip the deep frying BS and just do them on the grill

Trim off the worthless "handle" part of the wing, but leave the paddle and drummet in one piece. Its easier to deal with on the grill that way. Less pieces to flip yanno?

Mars skip the deep frying BS and just do them on the grill

Trim off the worthless "handle" part of the wing, but leave the paddle and drummet in one piece. Its easier to deal with on the grill that way. Less pieces to flip yanno?

I'll do them tomorrow. Yeah, I know to trim off the wing tip but thanks for mentioning it. It will go into the stock pot. Actually probably in the freezer until I find a nead for some stock.

I'll probably head up to Abingdon for the Highlands Festival in the morning. Have to see if a friend is there with his artwork again this year as well as hit the antique tents again. Did that earlier this week but was with another friend who is only interested in the antiques. There's a cousin of mine from Georgia selling antiques. We don't really know each other, but he's in my family database. Actually a fourth cousin.

So it's wings and beer in the afternoon. I may try some on the grill and some in the fryer. BTW, I found out that Hooters sells a breading mix (not batter). See http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/how-to-make-hot-wings-a-step-by-step-guide/. That's the most recommended hot sauce site on the web apparently.

Stricky, I have OTC Prilosec. I only visit doctors when ordered to do a physical for my job. Hopefully, that means I've seen my last MD before the big one gets me. :)

BTW, I found out that Hooters sells a breading mix (not batter).

You can find this and Hooters Wing Sauce at many grocery stores.

I usually buy the Hooters sauce and a bag of already breaded chicken strips, fry or oven bake the strips, place the stips into a large bowl, pour in some sauce and a little melted butter, place a lid on the bowl, shake for a few seconds.......Then chow down. I prefer them dipped in O'Charley's honey mustard.

BTW, I found out that Hooters sells a breading mix (not batter).

You can find this and Hooters Wing Sauce at many grocery stores.

Yes,I always have a jar of the sauce in my fridge!

But to settle this little batter,or breading tiff! Which are they?

I guess I'm just gonna have to force myself down there this weekend and find out.

Why do I always get the tough jobs:mad:

That would be Deadliest Catch Strick !

Which makes me wonder, in all the episodes of Deadliest Catch, I never once saw them eat any of the crab! I saw them bite the heads off Cod Fish but with all that wonderful crab, they never showed them eating a one. Crazy