Henry Lever Action .22 rifles

tercel89

Henry'll see you right. They are a model of how customer service should operate.

My H001 is well beyond 30,000 shots and is still running like a champ! My only maintenance has been thorough cleaning & I replaced the front sight & barrel bands with steel versions (Free of charge from Henry, just call 'em & ask!)

That's good to hear. I just bought my first Henry yesterday to do a little Mothers Day plinking with and it will not feed any of the 6 or so types of various 22 I had on hand at all. Called Henry today and have a shipping label in my inbox already. That was certainly fast. I'm really hoping they can work it all out for me so I can get it back by this weekend.

I will say that it is a fantastic little rifle though. The action is nice and smooth and when fed one at a time the rifle proved to be quite accurate especially for what is essentially a "kids gun". I'm really looking forward to shooting up some of the 22short I've accumulated, I've got a bolt gun that will take them one at a time but nothing really fun to shoot them out of till now.

Do you mind mentioning what kinds (brand, lead, jacketed, hp, etc) of ammo you had issues with? Mine eats just about anything I throw in it.

I've been back and forth on picking up a Henry or saving a little more and getting a Browning. The more I think about it, it would just be for fun and the Henry seems to be all you would ever want out of a plinker anyway. 

TrickyNicky--

I bought my Henry H0001 (standard model) at Bass Pro Shops back in February. When I first got it, the action was incredibly dry right out of the box. When I first opened it up, I test-loaded it right away. When I loaded it to capacity with LR (15 rnds), it didn't want to load the first round from the magazine. I was using Aguila unplated 22lr 40gr solid point. I stripped all of the ammo out, and gave it a thorough lubricating, including the feed ramp, mag tube and tube plunger. I then reloaded it with the same ammo, and it's worked like a charm since then. I've fed it several types of Remington, Winchester X, Aguila and CCI ammo, all LR ammo. No problems since I did the lube job and ran a few hundred rounds through it.

However, your problem seems to be with 22short, and I haven't tried any of that yet.

Edited by tartanphantom

TrickyNicky--

I bought my Henry H0001 (standard model) at Bass Pro Shops back in February. When I first got it, the action was incredibly dry right out of the box. When I first opened it up, I test-loaded it right away. When I loaded it to capacity with LR (15 rnds), it didn't want to load the first round from the magazine. I was using Aguila unplated 22lr 40gr solid point. I stripped all of the ammo out, and gave it a thorough lubricating, including the feed ramp, mag tube and tube plunger. I then reloaded it with the same ammo, and it's worked like a charm since then. I've fed it several types of Remington, Winchester X, Aguila and CCI ammo, all LR ammo. No problems since I did the lube job and ran a few hundred rounds through it.
However, your problem seems to be with 22short, and I haven't tried any of that yet.

Well usually I would be up for a good clean and lube but in this case I don't think it will help. It looks like the chamber and the feed ramp are slightly offset creating a "step" that the nose of the round dives right into. If I put some pressure on the lever while trying to chamber a round the nose has significant damage where it hits this "step". This is consistent with shorts and long rifle.

.22 shorts work fine in my Henry.....even some that are 40 years old.  How about giving them a call, TrickyNicky?  201-858-4400

Called them yesterday, the call lasted about 3 minutes and by the time I hung up I had a shipping label in my inbox. I'm going to take it down to Nashville Armory where I bought it and they will send it in for me.

Called them yesterday, the call lasted about 3 minutes and by the time I hung up I had a shipping label in my inbox. I'm going to take it down to Nashville Armory where I bought it and they will send it in for me.

Ooops.  Forgot about your earlier post.  Egg on my face...

Edited by gun sane
  • 3 weeks later...
Just a quick FYI that I just got my rifle back for
Henry. Took just over 2 weeks to repair and send back.
The packing slip says they repaired the malfunction but doesn't say exactly went wrong, all I know is that I loaded it up with some Calibri and it now functions as it should.

Henry did right by me and I am a happy camper.

I love my Henry H001 lever-action, and I recently bought one of the Henry versions of the AR7 Survival rifle-- what a FUN little rifle! I understand that the older Charter Arms versions are fraught with reliability issues, and even the Henry has been known to be choosey on ammo. But I also bought two extra magazines for it, and shot up a 325-box of Federal match ammo without a hitch.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've got nothing but praise for Henry products.

Edited by tartanphantom

I've owned 2 Henry rifles, both in .22lr. I NEVER had a single issue with any of them.

I like the fact I can shoot 22 shorts in them also. I would not advise a "Golden Boy" model

if you want to scope it as it does not come with dovetail groved for a scope. The standard blue models do.

I've shot them (and still do) in .22lr, 17hmr, and 22mag. 

You just can't go wrong with a Henry. 

The only Henry I ever had an issue with was a used 17hmr "Golden Boy".

It was bought from a friend that bought it from a store that had been in a fire. 

The cases would stick in the chamber after firing. Henry sent us a box and FREE shipping.

Got it back 3 weeks later fixed with all new internals and nice polished chamber.

NEVER had an issue since. 

Good luck on your Henry purchase. I think you will be very happy.