remington 700: timney or jewel trigger

well about to get back to my Remington 700 build. the gun currently has the x-mark trigger which I plan to upgrade with the timney or jewel trigger. I will use gun for target shooting only. I want a good trigger but reliability is very important to me. also I find the timney to be better priced but will pay more if the quality is there. would appreciate any advise on which way to go. thanks in advance

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/glock55/media/IMG-20130105-00002_zps684ea024.jpg.html]IMG-20130105-00002_zps684ea024.jpg[/URL]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My jewel is set to 6 oz and works fine in FT/R shooting. Make sure you decide whether or not you want one with or without a safety. Mine has the safety but I can't honestly remember the last time I used it. I'm either in the gun with the bolt closed and ready to shoot or Im away with the bolt out and a chamber flag in.

Hope this helps.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower
Jewell between those choices. I recently just picked up an older Can-Jar set trigger and it is nothing short of amazing. Too bad they went under after the owner passed away, still worth looking for used though.
  • 4 months later...

While we're on this subject, I've been considering upgrading the stock trigger on my Mohawk Armory MA15. I've read the reviews on the Timney and the Jewel triggers. I'm leaning toward the #3 Timney, but open to suggestions and experiences from other TGOers. I do mostly 100+ yd. target shooting at OK Corral in Woodbury, but my rifle is also a primary self-defense weapon... in a SHTF, WROL situation. Also, the differences/advantages between a single and two stage trigger?

I recently picked up a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 scope and have decommissioned the cheapo BSA red-dot that came with the rifle. I like the scope, still getting used to it, finding the "sweet spot" for the cheek weld and dealing with scope "shadow". The one thing that irks me is that I had to remove the MBUS rear sight to mount the scope. Perhaps the scope can be mounted further out on the pictanney rail, but I think the restrictive 4" eye relief is going to be a problem.

Advice anyone?