Comp-tac suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting an IWB holster and "Tungsten" has gotten me looking at the Comp-tac ones. (So yeah... I blame him.)

Anyhoo...

Here is the deal, I have a USPc, am 5'7 150-160 lbs. (depending on if

I have just eaten at a chinese buffet) and enjoy long walks on the beach, and indoor ranges. :D

It is a little tricky for me to conceal my pistol in the summer. (Would like to get a sub compact glock later.) I usually just wear a little bulky shirt to cover it.

Any suggestions?

I would like to keep the price range around $50 bucks if possible so I can get it sooner.

Here is one that I am looking at... Is it any good? Or would I be better off saving for a different model?

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=44

So any suggestions? Or reasons you like what you have?

(Also open to other brand suggestions as well.)

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GT_Rat

I have the C-Tac and it works well with my XD-SC. The XD is a little think like your USPc is so I would think it would wear similarly. If you can spring for the little bit extra cash get the M-Tac as the leather is more comfortable (from what I hear I haven't worn one). I don't have comfort problems with my C-Tac typically but at times the plastic at the top will poke me in the love handle. :D

Guest db99wj

I hate wearing "cover" garments. I will wear a tshirt, a polo shirt, or a button down shirt. With the CTAC on the "lowest" setting where the gun is the lowest it can be when compared to your waist, no one sees it with a tshirt on. I do have a couple of large tshirts thats fit tighter around the waist and they will print a little. I usually stretch it out a little. When I wear a XL and especially if the tshirt is a color, you can't tell it is there. Also when I wear it at about 3 O'Clock, sometimes 4 O'Clock. IMO the middle setting is the best, because you are able to grab the grip without hitting your belt as much, but for concealbility I have chosen the lowest setting. I love my CTAC. I hear that the MTAC is even better. One thing I am going to change is the clips. I am going to upgrade to the VClip which is the velcro clips. You do have to get the other side of the velcro sewn into your belt, but with that, your rig will disappear. I use a C clip in the back and a standard clip in the front. The c clip is noticable on a brown belt, and the C clip is not as noticable. I wear my cell phone on a belt holster, I guess you could call that my "concealment garment" (I don't like to, but that is how I do it when I am at work) and the standard clip is right next to it, hidden. The rear C clip is slightly noticable. I don't like that. I am seated in this pic. I need to get a better pic. But it is kinda weird taking pics of my hip here in the office:D

beltlh5.jpg

I carry a USP-C in one of their Infidel holsters. No problems and is rather comfortable, does not have the leather like the M-Tac but a bit more versatile. I used a Pro-Undercover(discontinued) before that and also liked it alot. Either way, Comp-Tac has awesome customer service and a great product.

:D

Guest sermon8r

I'm 6'4" 330 and the MTAC is the best IWB to date.

I carry a Steel Frame 1911 Commander no Problem

Save up and get the MTAC.

I'm 5'09" and 160lbs, close to your dimensions. I can and have carried a HK P2000, Glock 19 and Sig 229 in a Comp Tac CTAC. At my size with guns of that size (similar to your USPc) concealment is easy, even in a t-shirt. I've tried the pro undercover and infidel and I personally don't beleive they conceal nearly as well as the CTAC. I have no experience with the MTAC but have heard good things. If $50 is your limit look around (maybe hkpro.com) and you may find a used one. You can't go wrong with Comp-Tac, they even send candy with you order!!!!

Guest db99wj

Interesting. I got home tonight and pulled my holster out of my pants, and the standard clip fell in the floor. The screw and rubber bushing that holds the clip to the leather piece are gone. I let them get to loose.:D

So, for 2.00 a pop, I ordered 2 spare hardware parts kits from comp-tac.com. Hope I get some more smarties!

In the mean time I took a screw from the part where the leather attaches to the kydex in order to make it usable. Tomorrow I will run to the hardware store and see if I can find anything that will work.

CHECK YOUR SCREWS:D

Edited by db99wj
Guest Bronker

Here's another +1 for Comp-Tac. Even before I bought my MTAC from them, I was impressed with their customer service. I had emailed them with regarding whether or not they made a holster for my dinosaur S&W 4506-1. They emailed me back within a day.

Rather than the generic answer from them that I expected... "Sorry, sir...we regret to inform you that we do not produce a holster for that exact make and model of weapon", the consultant sent me a list of manufacturers and links to competitor companies that did make similar products that would fit.

Now that... is service. I was so taken aback by that gesture, I bought the XD (planned to anyway, but was exploring options) and ordered a MTAC from them the same day, sending along a message about that consultant's gesture being the main reason I chose Comp-Tac.

Regardless, I am glad I did. It is very comfortable. Very sturdy, and has good retention. I have the ever coveted CrossBreed as well, and find the nod goes to the CompTac for comfort. And that's on a 6'6", 350# frame.

Take that for what it's worth!

The 4506 you ask? My holster of choice is a wooden nightstand beside the bed. Or my gunbearer "Teke-Teke" that calls me Bwana!!!

Long live the 3-pound steel behemoths!!!!

db99wj - THANKS for posting the picture. You can't see it at all.

Plus it gives me a really good idea of how the clips look. Not really noticable at all. I don't think anyone would give them a second glance.

10Kilr - I had looked at the infidel holsters as well. Really glad you like yours and that your carrying a USPc as well. I may lean more toward it simply because your currently using it with no problems.

Overall what I am hearing from you guys is...

• Above average customer service

• Excellent workmanship

• comfortable

• Configureable and adjustable to your situation

With all that considered, if I have to come up with some extra money it sounds like money well spent.

Thanks for all the advice. (To me) This is one of the best strengths of the TGO board. You can generally get a quick, honest answer to a question based on a user's personal experience. And even if you don't agree with it... you can still see where they are coming from.

+10 TGO Community! :D

I think the infidel is what I have...Im gonna get an MTAC next time. I highly recommend spending the extra money and going that route. I dont sweat a lot but since there is no leather back between your back and the gun (besides the bit of plastic) i think it contributes to corrosion on your firearm least im pretty sure how my sigs mag release ended up with surface rust :cheers:

db99wj - THANKS for posting the picture. You can't see it at all.

Plus it gives me a really good idea of how the clips look. Not really noticable at all. I don't think anyone would give them a second glance.

10Kilr - I had looked at the infidel holsters as well. Really glad you like yours and that your carrying a USPc as well. I may lean more toward it simply because your currently using it with no problems.

Overall what I am hearing from you guys is...

• Above average customer service

• Excellent workmanship

• comfortable

• Configureable and adjustable to your situation

With all that considered, if I have to come up with some extra money it sounds like money well spent.

Thanks for all the advice. (To me) This is one of the best strengths of the TGO board. You can generally get a quick, honest answer to a question based on a user's personal experience. And even if you don't agree with it... you can still see where they are coming from.

+10 TGO Community! :shrug:

I think you would be very pleased. I carried my USPc in the Pro Undercover for a long time. The only problem I did have was that the clip broke, CompTac repaired it free of charge. They have since remedied this with the detachable clips on the Infidel holster. I ordered a couple extra with my holster just in case. Magic mentioned an issue with rust on his Sig. I haven't had any corrosion problems during the time I have been using my holster. Of course, I am carrying a HK.:cheers:

I think you would be very pleased. I carried my USPc in the Pro Undercover for a long time. The only problem I did have was that the clip broke, CompTac repaired it free of charge. They have since remedied this with the detachable clips on the Infidel holster. I ordered a couple extra with my holster just in case. Magic mentioned an issue with rust on his Sig. I haven't had any corrosion problems during the time I have been using my holster. Of course, I am carrying a HK.:cheers:

Whew there for a minute I thought you were gonna say Glock :shrug: Yeah its pretty strange...very surprising actually. Im gonna have to do some investigatin and see if my back sweat is the cause...though I would think the mighty sig could handle such abuse as im not a sweat factory.

Guest db99wj

The CTAC has I guess a sweat shield, goes to the top of the grip of the gun, sweat is not a problem, and I do sweat, especially since it has been 100 plus degrees for the last week or so.

Guest db99wj
Interesting. I got home tonight and pulled my holster out of my pants, and the standard clip fell in the floor. The screw and rubber bushing that holds the clip to the leather piece are gone. I let them get to loose.:rofl:

So, for 2.00 a pop, I ordered 2 spare hardware parts kits from comp-tac.com. Hope I get some more smarties!

In the mean time I took a screw from the part where the leather attaches to the kydex in order to make it usable. Tomorrow I will run to the hardware store and see if I can find anything that will work.

CHECK YOUR SCREWS:D

Ordered my extra screw kit from Comp-tac on Thursday night, got an email the next day that my order is being processed, got another email I believe Tuesday that my order was complete and would be dropped in the mail box that night, got my smarties on Thursday with a nice hand written note from Jen, I believe that was her name, with a smily face on it, thanking me for my business. They also sent a new allen wrench. One of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

Edited by db99wj
Miswrote.
  • 2 months later...
Guest VolGrad

I have tried nearly every single holster Comp-Tac makes over the past two years, mostly for Glocks, Sigs, and 1911s.

For IWB my all around favorite is hands down the MTAC. Close behind that is the CTAC. Both function the same but the MTAC is significantly more comfortable. The CTAC draws a bit easier though since the grip is not obstructed by the leather backing of the MTAC. You can more easily reach around the grip with your full hand. If you are really cheap, go with the Spartan (less refined MTAC but still functions the same). I tried a Spartan by accident once from the classifieds of a gun forum. I misread the post and purchased it. It carried my Govt 1911 just as well as the MTAC but wasn't "finished" as well.

Disclaimer: I have not had good luck with Sigs in MTACs. I have had two different bodies - a 239 and 229 - and neither drew well. I have read others had similar issues.

Other IWBs from Comp-Tac;

Gurkha - not tried

Pro Undercover - not tried

Shirt Tucker - Hated this one with a passion. The strut had no give in it and cause me GREAT discomfort. I sent it back and exchanged for another MTAC.

Infidel - mixed results. It was too bulky for my Sig 229 but I did like it for my G19. I would say if you have a compact pistol, give it a try - otherwise, pass.

Two O'Clock - I LOVE THIS ONE. I have two - one for a J-frame, another for G19. It is for appendix carry and really conceals well. It is also tuckable.

Guest Verbal Kint

Looks good... but you need to upgrade to the newer, revised, mounting clips. Improved design, which is supposedly stronger even though they are much smaller profile. Conceals a lot better.

EDIT: Actually, tell ya what... if you don't use the mounting holes that are any lower than the 3rd hole down from the top/clip (I cut the excess off, flush with the holster, and rounded the clips to conceal better), I'll send you a set of the new ones for free. They came on my MTAC that I ordered, when I specified the C-Clips, and Comp-Tac then sent me the requested clips for free. So these are just sitting here.

DSC00339.jpg

Shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send them on their way.

:blush:

Edited by Verbal Kint