Robbery gone bad

Guest WJStaff

Guest WJStaff

Saw this on FB and thought some of you might wanna watch. I apologize if it was posted elsewhere, I didn't see it.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UgwfGl_bnI

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Venezuela for a couple of years once. Crime was just starting to get bad. The one thing you really had to be on the watch for was motorcycles. They would drive between lanes of cars stopped in traffic and rob the driver, especially if they saw a nice wristwatch. Usually, there was a second bike on the passenger side, justs a little bit back, that would shoot the driver if he started to grab his gun - everyone has guns in Caracas.

If the perp on the video here had used that tactic the "victim" would have been shot and killed. I have heard the crime rate there now is outta sight.

Its getting harder and harder to carry over there, and that's why this BG seemed to not be expecting what was coming to him, they are so used to getting away with robbing people I bet he didn't even take the safety off... I am glad this guy was able to defend himself even though I agree it was foolish to try to do anything once he had a gun pointed at him but guess he got lucky or saw something we can't from the video...

Yes crime has gotten considerably worse in Venezuela the last few years, it was bad when I was there and I moved out in 2005. They murder more people in Caracas in a couple of weekends than in Memphis in a whole year....!!! I do not know anybody who has not had some sort of contact, attack, robbery, carjacking or invasion. Many of my friends have lost parents, family members. I lost one of my uncles to kidnappers and we moved out of the country when a second uncle got kidnapped but was a bit less unfortunate because he survived.

I carried for about 2 years in Venezuela, it took me about 8 months to get my permit and it was supposed to last 5 years but then they changed the law and expected every one to re-file, including sending your firearms to the government agency for "inspection" and for them to have ballistics on file for your gun, so of course no one sent their guns in...

The people that could afford it spent the money and bought a new pistol which has to be purchased with a permit (you have to have a permit for each firearm so the serial number of your gun is on it) this made registered guns even more expensive (a registered glock 17 is worth around $ 1500) in the end less and less people could carry or afford to carry, you have to know somebody in the government or pay off someone or just carry and if you get caught pay the cop off. Ammo is also hard to find and you have to have a permit to buy so a 50rnd box of 22LR is $40 (as of December was the last time I checked with my Father in Law)

Last time I went to visit my parents while I was at the house my dad went with my sister to get some food and while as he was getting down a guy pointed a gun at him and demanded the keys and cell phones etc... he asked to let my sister get off the car and he would give them everything and they did and he said the guy even put the gun between his legs so he could receive the stuff my dad was handing over!  of course there was another gunman standing a few steps back so my dad could not do anything... he says they were amazingly calm and cars kept passing by the busy street like nothing! IF CITIZENS CAN"T HAVE GUNS THE BAD GUYS WHO DO HAVE GUNS WILL NOT BE AFRAID!!!

This is the reason why it's so important to protect our rights to carry and protect ourselves... it literally is Life and Death.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ab28

Don't own nice stuff, it is an invitation to robbery. I don't own much, and if I did, I wouldn't put it on display, like nice jewelry or a car, or whatever.

Can't say this for certainty, but if that guy had been driving a beater, he might not have been robbed. Be low key, especially in high crime areas.

Edited by ab28