Action for Custom Build?

I'm looking for an action to use in a custom build.  I don't need anything fancy like what you would use for 1,000+ yard matches, but want something that is still good quality.  I've looked at 700 footprint actions, but haven't found found just an action.  Are there any suggestions as to brand that wouldn't break the bank or potentially sources on something like a Mauser action.  The only detail is that it has to be able to be fed from a magazine.

Get a Savage action, any model number except the Axis or Edge. Also, if you look at the rear of the bolt avoid those that have what looks like a giant flat tip screw, even if it is a standard model number. They are good but some are mid sized actions and there is no aftermarket support for them. And without knowing what you are looking for it is easy to buy one without knowing.

Ideally you want an action that has a round back receiver but the flat back receivers are fine. Accutrigger would be nice but the standard triggers are easy to get a nice trigger job on.

They made/make two actions, a long and a short. The short is going to be a model number with two digits like "11" while the long actions will have three digits like "110" or "112". The short actions are for 223 and 308 based calibers as well as short magnums. The long actions can be used for 30-06 based calibers as well as standard magnums.

I see Savage rifles in pawn shops for $300 and under regularly. The last Savage I bought cost me $250 from an individual.

And finally, you can swap calibers at home without the need of a gunsmith. After the gunsmith breaks the barrel loose you never need a gunsmith again. You don't need headspace gauges either to set headspace. I have NEVER used a set of gauges to set the headspace on my guns.

And finally, you can swap calibers at home without the need of a gunsmith. After the gunsmith breaks the barrel loose you never need a gunsmith again. You don't need headspace gauges either to set headspace. I have NEVER used a set of gauges to set the headspace on my guns.

I'll be sending you a pm about my idea for feed back, it's in the realm of something you would do.

on a budget you might get the action out of a military rifle for not too much.   Some of those are of superior quality for a super low price.  Just try to find a scrap rather than bust up an intact gun if you go there.   As you said a mauser would work --- there are literally millions of them out there, someone has to have an intact action with a little R&D. 

You can get an aluminum chassis for Savages as well as Remingtons that use Ace folders. I will caution you the Ace folders do have what I consdier a significant amount of wobble. I sent one back a few months ago for what I thought was a manufacturer's defect because of the wobble. I was issued a refund with them saying the wobble was normal. This was not the puch buttom folder but their standard folder. I have been told by users of both that the push button is just as bad as the standard. The wobble was about 1/4" up and down and very bothersome, even on my Saiga.

For the quick change I would suggest a screw in setup like all bolt actions use now. The reason as it will be the most stable and the most accurate. Any type of slip fit has the potential to have accuracy issues. If you were to add a shoulder to the barrel to set headspace then add wrench flats to the barrel it would make barrel swaps super easy and super quick. I could see a caliber swap in under 3 minutes using the screw in method. I know you spoke of the EDM Windrunner type but it is no quicker than a shouldered barrel being screwed into an action. Of course the standard setup isn't unique or as cool but it does work.

I am going to red loctite the barrel nuts in place for my Striker barrels once I set the headspace. It will make caliber swaps possible in under 10 minutes. As it stands right now I set the headspace using confetti I made with a hole punch and paper of a certain thickness. I drop a piece of confetti on the bolt face, insert a piece of loaded ammo or sized brass, screw the barrel until it hard stops then lock the barrel nut down. That headspacing process takes less than 3 minutes. The time consuming part of it is getting the action out of and back into the stock. I plan on remedying that with a chassis that exposes the entire barrel, including the nut.

This is essentially what I'm thinking ---> [url=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/PART_1369173008860_zps1bc28825.jpg.html]PART_1369173008860_zps1bc28825.jpg[/URL]

Feel free to tear the idea up as you want.

Edited by gjohnsoniv