H&R Pardner vs Maverick 88?

Looking at getting a 20ga in either the Pardner or 88 so I can introduce my better half to squirrel hunting, and use it myself from time to time. Even though I can't find one in the Knoxville area, I'm looking at these because of the price.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which of the two would be the better one to choose? This is my first time buying a shotgun for hunting, so idk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Edited by wewoapsiak
I like the Pardner better. It is an 870 clone with a better heavier receiver and beefier parts. The Maverick's are fine guns, but are a cheaper versions of the budget 500. They also loose the benefit of the Mossberg over the 870's in that they use a cross bolt safety instead of the tang safety.
If you like the Mossberg, bump up and get a 500. If not the Pardner is an excellent option. I've had several and really like them.
  • Like 1
Guest Aces&8s

I have two Pardners, one 20 gauge and one 12.  I like the 20 gauge fine, but when I first got it, the left side shell latch was very stiff and it would sometimes fail to release a shell when the pump was worked.  After a lot of use, it finally smoothed out, but I still have that nagging fear that it might fail when I need it most (maybe not a huge concern for a squirrel gun).  

My 12 gauge Pardner has been flawless from day one, however.

I can't stand the tang safeties because you can't use a pistol grip. Makes it very hard and awkward to work the safety.

Personally I like the 88 better than the Pardner pump. The reason is Mossberg parts work with the 88. WIth the Pardner pump the barrels supposedly do not interchange. I do know that all the bolt holes are metric on the Pardner so when you replace the stocks with 870 stuff you need to buy the metric screws.

• Like 1

I can't stand the tang safeties because you can't use a pistol grip. Makes it very hard and awkward to work the safety.

Personally I like the 88 better than the Pardner pump. The reason is Mossberg parts work with the 88. WIth the Pardner pump the barrels supposedly do not interchange. I do know that all the bolt holes are metric on the Pardner so when you replace the stocks with 870 stuff you need to buy the metric screws.

Yeah, adding a pistol grip to the Mossy's is problematic but with a standard stock I prefer the tang safety and slide lock of the Mossy. You don't have to move your hand to work either, unlike the 870/Pardner.

Never had an issue putting stocks on the Pardners myself so that's new one to me. The Knoxx Spec-Ops stocks fit fine on the Pardners and the IAC's in my experience. I put them on 3 of them using the supplied bolts. The Pardners will take some 870 barrels. Pardner barrels fit the 870 but 870's barrels will only fit an extended mag tube Pardner. The barrel bracket on the 870 is a bit farther out than the Pardner's.

I can say that 870 bolts, carriers, action bars, side saddles, forearms, triggers, and  mag followers are interchangeable with the Pardner.

• Like 1

i had the same dilemma looking for a budget "home defense" shotgun and after alot of research i chose the Maverick 88 12g and im very happy with it a year later, im still toying with the idea of putting a collapsable stock and pistol grip on it, but that was one of the deciding factors initially for me because of the safety setup .. but after having put a few hundred rounds through it im very impressed with the fit finish and functuionality of the gun ... it doesnt feel like a "knock off" of anything honestly, or at least to me it just feels like a rock solid pump shotgun 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Picked up a Maverick 88 today, mostly because that's the one I could find.

Mossberg Maverick 88's seem to be universally liked, I've never owned a Maverick but I've owned a lot of Mossbergs & wouldn't hesitate to buy another, even the more budget friendly 88 is well built by all accounts I've seen or heard.

Congrats on your new shotgun, now go slank some 00 into her & test er out!

I had a maverick 88 security model, was a great little inexpensive HD firearm, and I kinda liked the loosey-goosey action. My son loved it, so I gave it to him for his 23rd birthday this year, since I already had a 500 persuader as well.

The biggest drawback to the Mavericks is the pinned action bars on the forend, which prevent you from swapping out Mossy 500 forends.

However, there are a couple of companies who have come out with replacement forends specifically for the 88 series-- complete with action bars already mounted. Necessity is the mother of invention. :usa:

Edited by tartanphantom

I've had an 88 for a couple for years now. Main complaints are the rock hard recoil pad and the LOP seems a bit too long for me. The heel of the stock grabs the material of my shirt while shouldering. Both are fairly easily fixed.

Wile searching for a shorter stock I picked up the Hogue Overmolded stock set. The Hogue stock dropped the LOP to a much more comfortable ~13.75. I really only wanted the stock, but it came with forearm as well. As mentioned earlier the 88 has the pinned on action bars. I picked up a replacement 500 slide in the correct length for the new forearm and installed them. I do like the Hogue forearm much more that the old Corn-Cob, but the conversion was not cheap at ~$65 for the new slide.

Edited by 1madss
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest seadog

I owned an 18'' Maverick liked it alot dont know all that much about the H&R but have heard mixed reviews ....I now have a Savage 320 that runs pretty good, cheap but functional