How to become an HCP instructor

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

I have a long term goal of becoming an HCP instructor at some point. I have no military or law enforcement experience. I have done some reading on this but the exact path is not clear. I understand that I would need to take some NRA courses and send in applications, but a lot of the details are fuzzy to me. I believe I would have to register as a training school and as an individual instructor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What sparked my interest in this was the poor quality of the HCP class I took. Lot's of misinformation, not very informative, poor gun safety practices, etc. I would like to be able to provide something of a higher quality and I feel there is a need for that.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some experience would be nice. The best way to learn is attend as many different classes as you can......and be proficient in the techniques presented by that class. You really need more than just a certificate that 'says' you are an instructor. But you did say it was a long-term goal.
Guest confidence

Some experience would be nice. The best way to learn is attend as many different classes as you can......and be proficient in the techniques presented by that class. You really need more than just a certificate that 'says' you are an instructor. But you did say it was a long-term goal.

Agreed. I admit to having a lot to learn. I plan to attend tactical training soon and I am doing extensive practice on my little private range area almost every weekend. But yes, a long term goal. I'm not claiming to being ready to teach the HCP now. But what would be wrong with understanding the path to achieve this at some point? I'm not directing this at you in particular, but I am curious if it is some super-secret information to understand how the instructor certification path works? I've have had a really hard time obtaining this information. Trade secrets?

When I was considering this I went to a small local range that does the classes and talked to the instructor. He offered to mentor me if I wanted to teach classes there. That might be something to look into.

Basically by the sounds of it, if you meet the basic requirements, there's a course then a test and you're good to go after that. He said that the test involved teaching a portion of the class in front of a review board among other things.

Do you have experience in public speaking of any kind? I would be calling on my experience as a Boy Scout leader and military instructor. Teaching small groups is something that many people are weak in.

Here's some info to get you started.

NRA info
http://training.nra.org/training/become-an-instructor.aspx

Rules, check page 7
http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf

State page
http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/school.shtml

In all honesty folks need to learn safety before they ever think about getting a carry permit,Gun safety cant be learned in 5-6 hrs,The 1 thing I found lacking was a understanding of the legal system & the need for some type of insurance for personal liability in case you had to use your weapon, myths about make sure their dead so they cant sue you wont work because everybody has family &will sue you just for spite & others will jump on the band wagon to get weapons taken away from us imo.become a lawyer & practice law & then start a coarse that lasts more than 1/2 day with some solid info & facts from previous  cases.Good luck & with some research it can be done to make the coarse interesting & informative to help folks out.Alot of folks have gotten into it for the $ for the most part,just touching the basics are all the law requires at this time

Guest confidence

When I was considering this I went to a small local range that does the classes and talked to the instructor. He offered to mentor me if I wanted to teach classes there. That might be something to look into.

Basically by the sounds of it, if you meet the basic requirements, there's a course then a test and you're good to go after that. He said that the test involved teaching a portion of the class in front of a review board among other things.

Do you have experience in public speaking of any kind? I would be calling on my experience as a Boy Scout leader and military instructor. Teaching small groups is something that many people are weak in.

Here's some info to get you started.

NRA info
http://training.nra.org/training/become-an-instructor.aspx

Rules, check page 7
http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf

State page
http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/school.shtml

Thanks!

It sounds like that strictly speaking all that really would have to be done is for me to take NRA courses and have (or be affiliated with) an approved range. It doesn't say much about which exact NRA courses are required. Just pick one??

I think your best suggestion was to get involved in my local instructor community. Maybe if I start now with building relationships and perhaps volunteering to assist with the small stuff at a local class, I could earn trust while being mentored and hopefully get pointed in the right direction by the right people.

I do have teaching experience as well as public speaking experience. I am comfortable in front of a classroom.

Thanks again for the help! Anybody else have any further information on this to share?

Seems pretty clear to me

1340-2-3-.06 INSTRUCTOR REQUIREMENTS.

(1) Public Handgun Safety Schools may use handgun instructors who are a full time, salaried, POST
certified law enforcement officer approved as a firearms instructor by the chief administrative officer
of his or her agency and who conducts Handgun Safety Courses for his/her agency or another Public
Handgun Safety School.

(2) Private Handgun Safety Schools shall use instructors which must meet the following minimum qualifications:
(a ) Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
(b ) Shall not have been convicted of a felony or any drug or alcohol related offense in the past ten (10) years;
(c ) Shall submit proof of the completion of a Department approved firearm/handgun instructors training course; and,

1. Approved instructor training courses include, but are not limited to, those instructed by
the National Rifle Association (NRA), National Sheriff’s Association (NSA),
International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), Police Officers Standards of
Training (POST), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) International Practical
Shooting Confederation (IPSC) and others approved by the Department.

2. The Commissioner shall make the final determination on approved courses.

(d ) Shall possess an instructors certificate issued by the Department.

1. Certificate is valid for three (3) years from date of issuance.

(3) Instructors for Public Handgun Safety Schools who instruct for Private Handgun Safety Schools and
Instructors for Private Handgun Safety Schools who instruct for Public Handgun Safety Schools must
meet the requirement of 1340-2-3-.06(2).

(4) Handgun Safety Schools may utilize personnel other than Department Certified Instructors to instruct
only that portion of classroom instruction directly related to the legal liabilities and other legal
aspects of the instruction.

Authority: T.C.A. §§4-3-2009 and 39-17-1351. Administrative History: Original rule filed January 25, 1995;
effective April 10, 1995. Amendment filed September 16, 1996; effective January 28, 1997.
Edited by 2.ooohhh

Then to get the NRA instructor part covered

"To qualify as an NRA Instructor:

• Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline they wish to be certified.
  • Candidates will be required to demonstrate solid and safe firearms handling skills required to be successful during an instructor training course by completing pre-course questionnaires and qualification exercises administered by the NRA Appointed Training Counselor.
  • Candidates must satisfactorily complete an NRA Instructor Training Course in the discipline they wish to teach (e.g., NRA Basic Pistol Course), and receive the endorsement of the NRA Training Counselor conducting that training."

If I were guessing what basic trainer courses I would want before I even looked at training others both in the classroom and on the range I would start with the 5 below.

• Basic Pistol Shooting
  • Personal Protection in the Home
  • Personal Protection Outside the Home
  • Home Firearm Safety
  • Range Safety Officer
Guest confidence
If I were guessing what basic trainer courses I would want before I even looked at training others both in the classroom and on the range I would start with the 5 below.

• Basic Pistol Shooting
  • Personal Protection in the Home
  • Personal Protection Outside the Home
  • Home Firearm Safety
  • Range Safety Officer

This was really helpful! Thanks!

I've been thinking about this ever since the Cleveland club started offering HCP classes so often.  I'm a SASS Range Officer II and SASS Wild Bunch Range Officer.  I've  started to RO the range part of the HCP classes and have had a great time doing it.  We just did another one last week.  I'm still looking locally for the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor class.  But I'm part of the Club & SASS, so there are really several instructors that can do the classroom.  The range is where more eyes are needed for safety.  We usually have enough ROs on the line so that when that little old lady trying to shoot her dead husband's 1911 wants to shoot we can help her do it safely.

Cherokee Slim

Basically the state wants to know that you know how to shoot and how to teach and that SOMEONE that they accept as qualified to teach that has certified that you are good to go. Most people teaching HCP classes are already NRA certified and they simply submit those certifications. But the NRA instructor classes are few and far between sometimes. 

The least time consuming way to get a certification that the state of Tennessee accepts is take  the Rangemaster Instructor Development class.....

http://www.rangemaster.com/classes/handgun-classes/firearms-instructor-certification-course.html

and then send in your paperwork (That Tom provides for you) to the state. The next one is in Memphis at Rangemaster Aug 2-4 2013. That is a Friday -Sunday.

Pretty simple. Now does that mean you will after 3 days go from a novice to a steely eyed gunman and master instructor? No. And it is possible to not pass the class. You will have to perform. There is both a written and range test. But this class WILL make you a better instructor (and a better shooter). And it not only teaches you how to shoot, but teaches you how to teach...something some  instructors out there know little about.....

I do not work for Rangemaster and I have no financial incentive from recommending this class , but I have taken both this class and the Advanced Instructor class (I did the 1st one that was by invitation only at the time).  It is well worth it.  

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
Guest confidence

Basically the state wants to know that you know how to shoot and how to teach and that SOMEONE that they accept as qualified to teach that has certified that you are good to go. Most people teaching HCP classes are already NRA certified and they simply submit those certifications. But the NRA instructor classes are few and far between sometimes. 

The easiest and least time consuming way to get a certification that the state of Tennessee accepts is take  the Rangemaster Instructor Development class.....

http://www.rangemaster.com/classes/handgun-classes/firearms-instructor-certification-course.html

and then send in your paperwork (That Tom provides) to the state. The next one is in Memphis at Rangemaster Aug 2-4 2013. That is a Friday -Sunday.

Pretty simple. Now does that mean you will after 3 days go from a novice to a steely eyed gunman and master instructor? No. And it is possible to not pass the class. You will have to perform. There is both a written and range test. But this class WILL make you a better instructor (and a better shooter). And it not only teaches you how to shoot, but teaches you how to teach...something some  instructors out there know little about.....

I do not work for Rangemaster and I have no financial incentive from recommending this class , but I have taken both this class and the Advanced Instructor class (I did the 1st one that was by invitation only at the time).  It is well worth it.  

So is this NRA approved/recognized by the state as satisfying requirements to become an HCP instructor?

So is this NRA approved/recognized by the state as satisfying requirements to become an HCP instructor?

Yes. That is why I said it is the way to go...

As far as I know , for a long time they were the ONLY private school in TN whose instructor class certification qualified to get you certified as a TN HCP instructor. There may be others now, but Rangemaster has been for a long time. 

I've done both the NRA instructor class and the Rangemaster class and there is truly NO comparison. The Rangemaster instructor class is a more thorough class. 

I have a long term goal of becoming an HCP instructor at some point. I have no military or law enforcement experience. I have done some reading on this but the exact path is not clear. I understand that I would need to take some NRA courses and send in applications, but a lot of the details are fuzzy to me. I believe I would have to register as a training school and as an individual instructor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What sparked my interest in this was the poor quality of the HCP class I took. Lot's of misinformation, not very informative, poor gun safety practices, etc. I would like to be able to provide something of a higher quality and I feel there is a need for that.

Check out Guns and Leather shooting academy - they have a 3 day course to become certified instructor - this course will get you certified only for state of TN but this certificate will help you become NRA certified instructor and thats good for the whole US, you just have to pick what area interests you - Handgun, Rifle, Defense Shotgun etc...

Check them out they are nice group of guys.