Wilson? Nighthawk? what's the big deal?

Guest gcrookston

Investment is never proportional to the return, when it comes to machinery.

A $500 Rock Island 1911 vs. a $3000 Wilson... the Wilson will not shoot 6X better than the RIA, in terms of either group size or reliability. But, it will almost certainly shoot at least twice as well. Milking the last bit of precision out of a machine is a lesson in diminishing returns... it just depends on how much someone is willing to pay in order to get the last 5-10% of performance. For some people, saving a couple grand and living with above-average performance is more desirable than spending the money to break the 'exceptional' threshhold. Kinda like deciding whether to buy a standard Corvette, or a Z06... the slight extra performance isn't worth the exorbitant additional cost to everybody. But, who wouldn't pony up, if money wasn't an object?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Investment is never proportional to the return, when it comes to machinery.

A $500 Rock Island 1911 vs. a $3000 Wilson... the Wilson will not shoot 6X better than the RIA, in terms of either group size or reliability. But, it will almost certainly shoot at least twice as well. Milking the last bit of precision out of a machine is a lesson in diminishing returns... it just depends on how much someone is willing to pay in order to get the last 5-10% of performance. For some people, saving a couple grand and living with above-average performance is more desirable than spending the money to break the 'exceptional' threshhold. Kinda like deciding whether to buy a standard Corvette, or a Z06... the slight extra performance isn't worth the exorbitant additional cost to everybody. But, who wouldn't pony up, if money wasn't an object?

Very well put :koolaid:

Guest Coal Creek Armory

Here are a few quick and dirty shots of the 1911s we make.

347687510_gLCR6-M.jpg

347687494_HuXYB-M.jpg

The first one is my daily carry gun and it is finished in custom Satin Black moly and is fitted with our custom Dick Atkinson micarta grips and has the rear of the MSH and frame blended and rounded.

The second one is finished using our custom Melonite QPQ process which is the same process Glock, Sig and S&W use for their black finishes. Both have Kart barrels and achieve 2.5" groups at 50 yards. Mine was tested with 500 rounds of ammo with zero failures. The second one is our 'demo' model and has been fired an unknown number of times and has been the model which all others were ordered.

We have had other 'custom' maker pistols and at least two Ed Brown pistols traded in toward the purchase of our 1911.

The thing that sets custom guns apart from production guns and even 'production' "custom" guns like Brown, Wilson etc. is the attention to details and extra touches.

We, for example recess and crown our barrels:

347687498_LUvjF-M.jpg

347687488_VapMX-M.jpg

And offer not only checkering but also "golf ball" and "tree bark" checkering:

347687495_chDxh-M.jpg

Both above 1911s have the front strap and MSH 'tree barked' and the second 1911 has the top of the slide done as well.

120580084_jjLtw-M.jpg

There are also other touches that are available that can be accomplished while it's being built. Things like thinning the frame, recessing the magazine release, slide stop pin, checkering the slide release and so on.

347687516_zPBVa-M.jpg

347687523_498cD-M.jpg

And if you don't really like a 5" gun, and you don't like the Commander and wish you could have something half way, with a bobtail, only a true custom built gun can fit that bill:

347687538_4tAvr-M.jpg

347687544_YfV36-M.jpg

Note the scuff marks from where a customer dropped it through the custom case. A testament to our thermally cured coatings!

347687564_33Bc2-M.jpg

Custom grips, relocated MSH pin, remanufactured front strap.

347687569_bTdpE-M.jpg

Guest Coal Creek Armory

I had someone ask me what I meant by "re-manufactured" front strap on the 4.5" Colt, the "CCA Little Bastard"

347687538_4tAvr-M.jpg

What I meant by that is that we removed the original front of the grip and replaced it with a new piece of steel from some steel pipe, which we then shaped the interior and exterior to match the frame, welded it on, shaped it once again to contour with the frame, gave it the "high hand cut," added the lower lip and then added the "golf ball" pattern to further enhance grip.

When we say we make serious custom guns, we mean just that.

Edited by Coal Creek Armory
Guest GUTTERbOY

Good stuff. I've always been a fan of the bobtail guns, but it seems like about the only way to get a bobtail is to go with a really high-dollar gun.

I'm really digging the tree-bark checkering in particular.

Guest Verbal Kint
I've always been a fan of the bobtail guns, but it seems like about the only way to get a bobtail is to go with a really high-dollar gun.

Not true. If you're brave enough, you can buy the jig yoursalf and bobtail your own 1911. Way out of my comfort level, but I've seen plenty of people do it and post their results online. Other than the DIY approach, most custom 1911 places will bobtail whatever weapon you want to send to them.

It appears CCA can even handle this service.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Not true. If you're brave enough, you can buy the jig yoursalf and bobtail your own 1911. Way out of my comfort level, but I've seen plenty of people do it and post their results online. Other than the DIY approach, most custom 1911 places will bobtail whatever weapon you want to send to them.

It appears CCA can even handle this service.

I'm a pretty brave guy, but I dunno about that. I think I'd be most worried about refinishing the area after bobbing it. In the end, even though I'm a pretty firm believer in DIY, I think I'd leave this to a competent smith.

Guest Verbal Kint
I'm a pretty brave guy, but I dunno about that. I think I'd be most worried about refinishing the area after bobbing it. In the end, even though I'm a pretty firm believer in DIY, I think I'd leave this to a competent smith.

+1

I cringed when I saw photos of people "hacking up" their 1911 in their garages or work shops. But to their credit, they usually turned out really well. But these were the type of people that had experience in metal work, fabrication, etc... not your run of the mill, normal, gun owner.

I'm like you, though... I'll leave that kind of work to the experts that get paid for a reason.

Guest nraforlife

Why buy a Mercedes when you can buy a Hyundai? Both will get you to your destination but you buy the Mercedes because you can...

Guest Honest AK
When we say we make serious custom guns, we mean just that.
I could understand someone paying a premium for guns like you are making. Those things are gorgeous.:D
Guest Coal Creek Armory
+1

I cringed when I saw photos of people "hacking up" their 1911 in their garages or work shops. But to their credit, they usually turned out really well. But these were the type of people that had experience in metal work, fabrication, etc... not your run of the mill, normal, gun owner.

I'm like you, though... I'll leave that kind of work to the experts that get paid for a reason.

We see a lot of people bring their pistols to us that have tried the modification themselves with horrible results. Some don't look too bad from about ten feet, but in your hand they look like they were executed with a stone chisel and sledge hammer. Some experienced machinists have had better results, but those are few and far between.

Guest Coal Creek Armory

We have received a few calls and emails regarding our 1911s and their pricing.

The standard CCA 1911 "Invictus" model is $1899 which includes:

347687494_HuXYB-M.jpg

Hand-fitted oversized 5" slide w/ ball end mill cut

Government Model WWI style frame

Fitted Kart barrel w/ Kart bushing, recessed and crowned

Fitted STI beavertail

Heinie/Novak GI Low-mount sights

C&S tactical II #4 lockwork

Ed Brown HC slide stop, mag release, small parts

3 Metalform 'JMB' 7 round magazines

Exclusive "CCA" Micarta 'Armory' grips

Exclusive Corrosion-proof Melonite finish - 60+ Rockwell

There are also a limited amount of customer options available.

Edited by Coal Creek Armory
Guest nraforlife

347687494_HuXYB-M.jpg

Fitted STI beavertail

Now thats my type of 1911!!

347687494_HuXYB-M.jpg

Fitted STI beavertail

Please PM me the price for this same gun, with the following Ed Brown Beavertail, naked slide, 25LPI checkering on the front strap and Mainspring housing, Yellow rear and green front Novak Sites, single side safety

what? no 10mm?

Yeah no 10mm this time...i still have my mind set on one, but the funds arent willing at the moment :D

heres the beauty I picked up from JWP last night....btw there custom guns are pretty freakin sweet...I will have to say though probably my favorite one they have is actually a 1942 Hi-Power they did extensive work too...it fits like a glove.

dwcbob45li3.jpg

By magiccarpetrides, shot with DSC-H5 at 2008-08-09

Guest Coal Creek Armory
Please PM me the price for this same gun, with the following Ed Brown Beavertail, naked slide, 25LPI checkering on the front strap and Mainspring housing, Yellow rear and green front Novak Sites, single side safety

PM sent.

Guest grimel
In high end 1911’s I’m talking about accuracy and function. “Shoot as well†and “wouldn’t shoot with†are terms that need definition. The test to me would be 50 yard bullseye shooting. Are you going to shoot 50 yards with a 4†1911?

Shoot as well and won't shoot with are accurate terms. They convey a relative accuracy.

Yes, I would shoot a 4" 1911 at 50yds.

The test is shooting them all from either a Ransom rest or sandbags at the same type of target at the same distance by the same person with a variety of ammo.