Stories of the HCP holder. Share yours

If there is already a thread like this then mods feel free to delete, but I searched and didn't see one. I guess I'll start this party but sharing a short conversation I had today with an elderly lady. I should preface this by saying I don't open carry, but I just got in a new OWB holster for the range and it's probably my favorite I've ever had. I was only going out to run a few errands so I just wore the new holster and G19. I'm not much of a story teller so bare with me. It went as follows...

Elderly lady: "Are you a policeman?"

This confused me at first, especially since I always carry concealed, then I realized she was looking at my hip. She was smiling that sweet little old lady smile as if she expected a yes, so I knew my answer might be disappointing to her.

Me: "No ma'am, just an American citizen. A regular fella."

Her face changed VERY quickly to almost one of confusion.

Lady: "So why on earth are you carrying a gun!?"

At this point I was contemplating replying with how I believe it's the best way to protect both my family and myself, but I could see her having some sort of argument in reply. I didn't feel like having that conversation in the middle of the store and I decided I didn't really owe her an explanation anyway.

Me: "Because it is my right as an American citizen, and I'm permitted by the state of TN to do so"

I was respectful of course the entire time, although you wouldn't know it by the way she acted. I don't think I've ever seen such a look on an elderly persons face like the one she gave me, the only term I can think of to describe it would be bewilderment. Like she couldn't imagine why any person other than a LEO would carry a gun. She huffed, sort of shrugged her shoulders and almost ran away from me. Bless her heart.

Anyway, that's really the only confrontation I've ever had. Nothing crazy, but it got me thinking.
I figure if we got a collection of our stories here it may help some people know how to reply if confronted, or even provide a little humor. What say you? Edited by KKing

I've never been made, and I have perfected my carry rig and clothing to the point where printing is minimal if it shows at all, but if someone was observant enough and asked me what was under my shirt, I think I'd just tell them it was a medical device (to protect my physical well-being).

I guess you could call it "preventive medicine".

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1

I had an LEO in White Bluff insist that OC was illegal in TN. Not sure if he was truly ignorant or saw my MS carry permit and thought he could convince me it was illegal. I threw my shirt over it and later emailed the chief with a copy of the AG opinion affirming OC's legality, asking him to inform the officer that made the stop.

The other very few interactions have been positive. 

• 2 weeks later...

99% of the time, I carry CC but have been 'spotted' at least once that I know of.  Inside a Dollar General, lady across the aisle giving me a hard look....I looked back.  That is about the only negative feedback that I can think off. 

When on group geocaching runs, been asked that I do carry and often a discussion will come up of how they can get a permit and what gun to carry. 

Other times, if I have been spotted, no one every said anything or any body language that brought attention to me. 

Once, inside a grocery store, I was checking out, a runaway shopping cart ran into me, the obvious metal vs. metal sound was heard.  Looked around and no one appeared to have noticed. 

Very un-exciting for me. I CC mostly but on the weekend's OC.
Had one guy follow me around a book store. Finally his son blurted out just ask him. I turned around and he was amazed. He was from somewhere up north where OC is a sin. He quizzed me for a minute and we parted ways.
The rest have been conversations while waiting in line somewhere. Someone will ask what I'm carrying and from three basic conversation starts.

Brandon

I usually OC but have a shirt pulled over it as I am a portly feller and we wear large shirts. Only had two negative run ins, neither were bad. First was at a Harley demo days in Cool Springs roughly in September 2011. Gent was eye balling my 1911(it had fake Ivory Grim Reaper grips so it stood out when exposed). I saw him doing so and looked him in the eyes, so he says, "I sure hope that's a BB Gun." in his VERY northern accent, I laughed, "Yeah, it shoots fourty-five caliber bb's at about one thousand feet per second." He looked at me like I was about to muder him and asked, "you got a permit for that kind of thing??" I smiled and said, "Yes sir I do, I just pray I never have to use it." and that was the end of that.

The next incursion I had was at Opry Mills shortly after their reopen, again with that 1911. I was there with my girlfriend at the time and one of my best friends who was visiting while on leave from the USAF. We were in Oakleys and a male employee was on TOP of us the whole time, he never asked if he could help us or anything of the sort. I noticed he was there for the most part and just ignored him but keeping him in sight cause anytime anyone is like that around me I get cautious just from training. Well after leaving no more than 30 feet away from the store a mall security guard approached me and asked me to remove the weapon from the premises. I would've left for good had my friend not been in town and THAT was the ONLY reason we were there.

Every other incursion has been on good terms be it to compliment my weapon, Hell, I had a PC Sherriff, who was an acquaitance from high school, ask if he could look at my 1911, when I asked "why?" a little worried, he says, "cause that thing looks badass!" lol
[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/ty_klemm/media/2011-12-05_21-19-11_126.jpg.html]2011-12-05_21-19-11_126.jpg[/URL]