Need info on factory 5.56x45 hunting rounds

I have 3 different types of .223 that I'm going to the range with (Winchester, Hornady, Federal) all 53 or 55 ballistic tips. I will be hunting Devil Dogs with my AR this year and need some info on true 5.56 hunting rounds. What's out there or what you may be using. They will be going down the pipe of a Bushmaster, 1/9, chrome lined, non Hbar upper. I have seen just one or two options when it comes to 5.56 dog killers. Need some info.

On a serious note.  I've used some American Eagle polymer tipped stuff before and like it.  I wouldn't call it the most accurate stuff out there but it worked for me.  Comes in a black box, think it's 55 grain.  Also take that with a grain of salt, they're they only ones I've used to date for hunting purposes because that's what was available at the time.

(I also believe you mean the men's division of the Navy.)

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I'm not sure that I'm reading the post correctly, but it sounds like you are not interested in .223 options for hunting rounds.  If this is the case, I don't have much advice, but if you are interested in the .223 input, I would recommend the TAP rounds be Hornady.  I've had good accuracy with them but have not shot any game with them.  Another shooter I respect has them rather successfully on deer.  I think there are a couple of weights offered, but I've just used the 75 grainers.

The Bellhop thing is from my dad. An inside joke I guess. 

I have some TAPS. Last deer season I was going to try killing a deer with them but the scope mount was broke on my Mini (fixed now). Counting the TAPS I have 4 different factory loads (all ballistic tips) to take on range day. I have seen (I think) some 5.56 rounds (not .223) loaded factory with soft point bullets but dont remember what flavor they were. Was wondering if anyone had experience or knowledge about a 5.56 round developed for hunting purposes. It may be 6 one way and half a dozen the other, as far as the differences in a true 5.56 load compared to a .223 load for hunting but wanted to see the difference on paper I guess.. 

As for the DRT ammo, I haven't checked on availability or cost but I see getting some in the near future. WOW!! 

For a 1/9 twist barrel, try the Barnes TSX in 62 grain (or even 55 grain).  Great solid copper round, and available in good loadings from multiple manufacturers (to include Barnes).

Here's a pretty neat hunting thread for the Barnes TSX in 70 grain: 

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628

FWIW, I'e never seen a 5.56x45 loading with a soft point round.  I have seen Winchester Ranger/Federal LE SP loads in .223 that are very capable, though.

The Bellhop thing is from my dad. An inside joke I guess. 

I have some TAPS. Last deer season I was going to try killing a deer with them but the scope mount was broke on my Mini (fixed now). Counting the TAPS I have 4 different factory loads (all ballistic tips) to take on range day. I have seen (I think) some 5.56 rounds (not .223) loaded factory with soft point bullets but dont remember what flavor they were. Was wondering if anyone had experience or knowledge about a 5.56 round developed for hunting purposes. It may be 6 one way and half a dozen the other, as far as the differences in a true 5.56 load compared to a .223 load for hunting but wanted to see the difference on paper I guess.. 

As for the DRT ammo, I haven't checked on availability or cost but I see getting some in the near future. WOW!!

Tell your dad that the Marines (the mens department of the Navy) prefer their personal taxi service to be seen and not heard. Lmfao just kidding. Those drt are a great yote round
  • Like 1

For a 1/9 twist barrel, try the Barnes TSX in 62 grain (or even 55 grain).  Great solid copper round, and available in good loadings from multiple manufacturers (to include Barnes).

Here's a pretty neat hunting thread for the Barnes TSX in 70 grain: 

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628

FWIW, I'e never seen a 5.56x45 loading with a soft point round.  I have seen Winchester Ranger/Federal LE SP loads in .223 that are very capable, though.

That was a good read..

It was Ranger 5.56... http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/20-rds-556mm-bonded-winchester-ranger-64gr-jsp-ammo-ra556b

I just ordered some DRT's.. On there site it says these are loaded to 5.56 specs.. Can just get the 55 grain right now in seconds.. We will see how they do on dogs.. 

Edited by Earl33
  • 5 months later...
Guest Bonedaddy

And this is what DRT ammo can do with a .223 and this for the faint hart did not post on this thread a must watch , what kind of damage it can do with a .223 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tsi9uEY8AQ

I carry their 9mm rds. for defense but alternate between them and 147gr. HPs. They ain't cheap but I'll say this...they will blow a watermelon up like someone put a blastin' cap in it and they are some of the most accurate 9mm rds. I've shot. They will do what they say, yet...they will also shoot through 5 1/2" of solid wood, too. It's the soft stuff that makes'm go off like shrapnel inside. I built my own "sim body" will a clear garbage bag filled with a 3 day soaked hard back thick azz book, plus wet newspaper and water then placed a 5/16th (IIRC) piece of plywood in front of it and draped with 2 layers of denim jacket and it went 3/4 the way through with a large area of shrapnel in the 8"-10" range IIRC. Pieces of the interior bullet all over and the jacket looked like a jagged saw blade in a near perfect star. Been a while since I done that but it convinced me it'll Drop'm Right There. I also have some of their 79gr. .223 rds but haven't hunted with'm, yet. Too damn expensive to target shoot with @ $60 for 20 when I bought'm. But I'm seriously considerin' doin' some huntin' this week with the Mini and them and give it a whirl just to see. If I'm lucky, that is.