Commercial Zero Turn Mowers

Guest nicemac

No opinion on the engines here, but without even looking up the specs, I can assure you that the Toro can't even come close to what a Scag deck is built like.  Hell, I don't know of any company that builds decks as good as them.

Guest nicemac

Looks like you guys vote for the Scag, but I see more of the Toros/ Exmarks on trailers around town (Nashville/ Franklin) in daily use. I don't really believe I can go wrong with ANY commercial ZTR if I am using it for 50-75 hours per year. I believe all of them will work fine.

I may have to flip a coin…

Thanks guys!

Guest nicemac

I work at Parker, we build the UHT transmissions that go in the Toros.

It seems that parker makes many of the transmissions and pumps in many of these units. Are they the same in all makes or does Parker build each one to a particular manufacturer spec?

It seems that parker makes many of the transmissions and pumps in many of these units. Are they the same in all makes or does Parker build each one to a particular manufacturer spec?

We build each unit to spec per the customer. Toro gets a certain type, MTD, Exmark, Scag, Moridge, John Deere, CAT etc. We don't just build the transmissions and the pumps, we also do power steering columns and other stuff. I'm fairly new so I am still learning alot about all of it.

We have product on everything from the military's recovery vehicles to garbage trucks, bailers, spreaders, combines, you name it. We even make the pump for those stationary wave pools that simulate actual swimming haha. Another division of Parker makes some type of gasket that goes in the iphones! 

Guest nicemac

OK, opportunity just popped up.

John Deere Z930M, 60" deck, 25.5 hp Kawasaki for far less than any of the others. It has 28 hours on it -they guy bought it and after using it, decided he wanted suspension. Three year bumper to bumper warranty. 13cc pumps, literally like new.

Thoughts?

Edited by nicemac

OK, opportunity just popped up.

John Deere Z930M, 60" deck, 25.5 hp Kawasaki for far less than any of the others. It has 28 hours on it -they guy that bought it mows commercial and after using it, decided he wanted suspension. Three year bumper to bumper warranty. 13cc pumps, literally like new.

Thoughts?

A friend of mine has that same mower i believe. I know it has the same engine and from the google pics it looks the same. His isn't new but has been a great mower for him. They have about 220 acres between him and his mother (all part of the same farm) with full motocross track 3 houses on the property with decent size yards. The yards get mowed every week (6-8 acres) the track about once a month (5-6 acres) his mom mows all over the place with it probably adding on another 10 acres per month and some of that is pretty rough. To my knowledge theyve had no problems other than replacing the fuel lines and filter from our piss poor gas. I think it would serve your purpose well.

This is a 2013 model with warranty through March, 2016

Honestly in my opinion, most all of the big names in the commercial mower world are going to be more than adequate for most any homeowner. I'd say if your getting it at a large discount and you still have 3yrs warranty on it, it would be awful hard to go wrong with it.

If a Tri Green dealer has it I would pass.

That's kind of broad with no reasons why... The guys in MJ have always been great to us. Even sent green and yellow flowers to my dads funeral.

Personally I'd get them to let you run it, see if it's been in for any warranty work, and check it over good then buy it. You'll get a virtually new mower, with a good warranty, that someone else took the initial hit on. Maintain it right and it might be the last one you ever buy. Sounds like a good deal. I'm partial to Kawasaki's it's hard to beat em.

Never really been a Kohler fan although I don't have a particular reason. i had 2 pretty new one's in last summer with the internals on the external. That's a rare occurance, I imagine. But even back when I mowed grass commercially I favored the Kawasaki. I honestly can't recall ever having a problem at all with one in 10 years. But we didn't run Kohlers and they might've been the same. Edited by JWC

That's kind of broad with no reasons why... The guys in MJ have always been great to us. Even sent green and yellow flowers to my dads funeral.

Personally I'd get them to let you run it, see if it's been in for any warranty work, and check it over good then buy it. You'll get a virtually new mower, with a good warranty, that someone else took the initial hit on. Maintain it right and it might be the last one you ever buy. Sounds like a good deal.

I completely agree! Tri Green has been around for a minute and must being doing something right. I live and grew up in a rural area outside of murfreesboro and know a lot of the farmers as well as landscapers around and have never heard anything bad out of them.
Sure helps to give a reason if you're going to give such a bad review.

I would drive it and if it runs good, buy it.  I am a John Deere guy and believe they put out a good product.  My dad has always had John Deere's and I have always had John Deere's.  Never had a major issue with any of them.  Plus, you know if you do have something happen 10 years down the road, there's a good chance you will still be able to get parts.  There is no better parts network out there than Deere in my opinion.  If it has a warranty until 2016, I see no reason to be concerned.  I am firm believer that if something is going to go wrong, it will happen in the first year or two.  If it saves a fair amount of money, I wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by Hozzie

Short and sweet

I had a non wear part break 15 days out of warranty, it was the control leaver for the hydro drive. It most likely had been breaking for a while, but it snapped 15 days out. No way to tell it is located  under the foot rest.

They said bring it in they would cover it, they even called another branch just to make sure. I load up my tractor, get there the next day, a few phone calls later they tell me they will not warranty the work.  And would not quote me a price to fix it.

Now I know I was out of warranty by 15 days, but they told be to bring it in and they would cover it.  

Guest nicemac

I contacted Deere yesterday, they directed me to my local dealer fro warranty transfer info. I got the VIN from the seller and gave it to Tri-Green. AS long as I get a signed Bill of Sale from the seller, no problems with warranty according to them. I agreed to the deal yesterday and am picking it up today. I am saving over $3,000 off the price of buying a new one. That is over $100 deduction for each hour on the meter… I simply can't pass this up.

As far as Tri-Green goes, I was as reluctant as anyone when Deere starting the closing/ consolidation of dealers a few years ago. However, my experience with Tri-Green (in Franklin and Mt. Juliet) has been nothing but superior.

I believe one big advantage the Deere has is resale value. Yes, you pay more up front (somebody did, not me not in this case), but the unit is worth more when you get ready to sell it at some point tin the future.

Thanks for all of the input. If this deal hadn't popped up, I was probably going to get the Scag… I like the shaft drive and they have a great deck.

Guest nicemac

Short and sweet

I had a non wear part break 15 days out of warranty, it was the control leaver for the hydro drive. It most likely had been breaking for a while, but it snapped 15 days out. No way to tell it is located  under the foot rest.

They said bring it in they would cover it, they even called another branch just to make sure. I load up my tractor, get there the next day, a few phone calls later they tell me they will not warranty the work.  And would not quote me a price to fix it.

Now I know I was out of warranty by 15 days, but they told be to bring it in and they would cover it.  

I had a tractor that was a year out of warranty that had an engine failure. It was obvious the defect was built that way at the factory. The bill was $1,800. Tri-Green went to bat for me. I paid $450.  Deere paid half, Tri-Green ate the other $450.

Loyal Customer.

I contacted Deere yesterday, they directed me to my local dealer fro warranty transfer info. I got the VIN from the seller and gave it to Tri-Green. AS long as I get a signed Bill of Sale from the seller, no problems with warranty according to them. I agreed to the deal yesterday and am picking it up today. I am saving over $3,000 off the price of buying a new one. That is over $100 deduction for each hour on the meter… I simply can't pass this up.

As far as Tri-Green goes, I was as reluctant as anyone when Deere starting the closing/ consolidation of dealers a few years ago. However, my experience with Tri-Green (in Franklin and Mt. Juliet) has been nothing but superior.

I believe one big advantage the Deere has is resale value. Yes, you pay more up front (somebody did, not me not in this case), but the unit is worth more when you get ready to sell it at some point tin the future.

Thanks for all of the input. If this deal hadn't popped up, I was probably going to get the Scag… I like the shaft drive and they have a great deck.

Enjoy your purchase!
Guest nicemac

Got the Deere home. The blades needed sharpening, and it needed a wash job. Changed the oil because, well, at 28 hours, it probably needed the break-in oil change anyway. Lubed it, equalized the tire pressures, checked deck level, set anti-scalp wheels to the level I mow at, checked fasteners, and finally mowed my yard.

Wow.

Guest nicemac

My yard will not win any prizes for beauty. But this thing cut my mow time in half (almost exactly in half) and the quality of cut was by far better than it had ever been before. No clippings that needed to be baled afterwards. No missed blades straggling around the yard. Just clean, cut grass. The time was my big thing. The better-looking cut is a bonus.